PDA

View Full Version : swirl remover

Pages : [1] 2

cadd
04-15-2010, 09:54 PM
Ok guys..help me out here if ya can please. I am kind of overwhelmed by all the different swirl remover products. How exactly do I know which one should I use. Some say, fine, or intermediate. And whats the difference in a swirl remover, and just your typical polish. Dont all polishes have some cutting ability? I have only been doing some small time detailing for the past 6-8 months..All daily drivers and so far most of them have been 3-5 yr. old vehicles. I just dont want to have to go broke trying to figure out which products I should be using. So far I have only used some 3M fine polish..and Hi Temp smooth cut polish with my PC 7424. Just bought a flex 3401 the other day, but havent had time to try it out yet. Thanks for any advice

Fly bye
04-15-2010, 10:00 PM
How exactly do I know which one should I use. Some say, fine, or intermediate.

It would be advised to start with the least aggressive method possible to get the job done. Just remember, it is easier to remove paint than it is to put it back.

And whats the difference in a swirl remover, and just your typical polish.

A swirl remover & a polish can be considered the same thing depending upon which products that are in question.

Fly bye
04-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Some say, fine, or intermediate.

Fine or intermediate would depend upon the severity of the scratches/swirls you are removing.

Birdhunter
04-15-2010, 10:11 PM
I feel your pain. I have put a lot in to detailing supplies in the last two years and will put a lot more in to it. What I have found and I think a lot of others have to; is you should have M105 and M205. It just seems that I like others use the Orange pads with M105 and white pads with M205 a lot. I’m looking to add some menzerna to the arsenal. I have WTSR and WFG and have had great results with them but the Mag twins seen to be a strong go to. Tomorrow I will be trying D151 for the first time to see if it will fit my needs for a one step for DDs. I hope to get some good pics and will post my results for others.

Dubbin1
04-15-2010, 10:21 PM
M105 and M205 should cover just about all of your needs.

sportscarhiatus
04-15-2010, 10:21 PM
What the guys have posted above is right. For the "most" part, a dual combo like the M105/M205 or WG TSR/FG combo with an orange pad/white pad is "usually" all you need to remove your average swirls. I have found that either combo works well for my cars. Sometimes, I'll follow it up with a gray pad with a much finer polish/glaze.

cadd
04-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Yes..I have heard alot of good things about the Megs combo also. I ordered some WFG 3.0 and sealant yesterday. So far, I have been using just orange and white pads, but still not getting the results I am looking far. But then again, I may be expecting a little to much, for being pretty new at this.But hey..I love it and cant wait to fire up the FLEX next week !!! Gonna polish a buddies 2000 F150/Harley edition..all black, has some serious oxidation on it. Looking forward to a challenge. Will try to get some pics to post, so you guys can give me your views.

cadd
04-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Also..what about fairly new cars that just need a one step polish before the wax..Would the M205 be sufficient?

Dubbin1
04-15-2010, 10:26 PM
Also..what about fairly new cars that just need a one step polish before the wax..Would the M205 be sufficient?

Yes, 205 would be fine for that.

sportscarhiatus
04-15-2010, 10:32 PM

I also like Menzerna's PO85RD as the last step polish.

sportscarhiatus
04-15-2010, 10:35 PM
So far, I have been using just orange and white pads, but still not getting the results I am looking far. But then again, I may be expecting a little to much, for being pretty new at this.But hey..I love it and cant wait to fire up the FLEX next week !!!

You weren't happy with your results using this combo? I'm surprised at that. Do you mean there's still swirls? How bad of a swirled car do you have? Or what is your method of using your PC? You should see immediate positive results in defect removal... I love my PC... :props:

cadd
04-16-2010, 05:06 AM
It got rid of most of them..like I said, I think I am expecting a show car finish, and I need realize I am still relatively new at this, so I shouldnt set my goals so high so soon. It will come with time and practice. Thanks for the advice everyone

sportscarhiatus
04-16-2010, 08:04 AM
It got rid of most of them..like I said, I think I am expecting a show car finish, and I need realize I am still relatively new at this, so I shouldnt set my goals so high so soon. It will come with time and practice. Thanks for the advice everyone

Ok, I just re-read your very first post... and in there, you claimed "So far I have only used some 3M fine polish..and Hi Temp smooth cut polish with my PC 7424."

So, from reading this, it sounds like you used some very light cutting polishes. I'm not intimately familiar with the products you used (3M, etc). But when I first started out, I too started using ONLY a very fine polish with a white pad, and expected that all my swirls would be removed. Like you, I thought the results were "okay"... I would say I removed 50-70% of the swirls.

Thanks to this forum, I learned that I was so afraid to "remove paint"... the rule is, you HAVE to remove some paint (by paint, I mean clear coat) to achieve proper correction. And don't worry about the fear of removing TOO much paint. The amount you remove is so little... if you're doing things correctly, you correct paint ONCE, then with proper maintenance, washing techniques, etc... you should instill none to little swirls back. Therefore, a yearly light polish with a white or gray pad should suffice you for the lifetime that you own your car.

So again, here's my advice, it sounds like with the combo of products you are currently using, you are not getting the desired results. If you are following proper PC use techniques, I would step up to the next aggressive polish/pad, and try that on a "test spot" (tape a 1' x 1' area). If you like the results, then continue on the rest of the car. Keep experimenting on that test spot until you reach your desired results. Achieving a show car finish is easy if you have the right tools. Good luck.

cadd
04-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Yep, your right..I am kind of hesistant to remove to much and damage the paint. They say to always try the least aggresive method first. But I am still kind of afraid to take it up a notch, but given what you just wrote. I think I have the confidence to try it. Thanks

snowking724
04-16-2010, 04:03 PM
i started with paint cleaners and hand applying ultimate compound and swirl x because i was afraid to remove too much paint. once i found AG and studied up and got the right supplies i was so impressed with the results. i used menz power finish and super finish and they worked great,highly recommend.