PDA

View Full Version : General washing question

keepitclean
04-15-2010, 09:03 AM
A quick question: I see many who use foam guns leaving the soap on cars for quite a long time and I understand the process, etc. What I'm wondering is when washing a car by hand and you are using a good car wash, say Meguiar's® Gold Class™ Car Wash (which I currently have), how worried should I be leaving the soap on a car. In other words "how long is it safe to leave the soap on the car with out rinsing?" A lot of soaps seem to advertised like "This is incredibly concentrated, high performace Car Wash soap. Since it's pH neutral, it neutralizes the minerals in your water. You can wash the entire vehicle in the direct sun, and even let the suds dry! Then, go to lunch, have a nap, come back and rinse down the vehicle." Should I be looking for this in a wash/soap......are most premium wash/soaps Ph balanced??

JonMiles
04-15-2010, 11:03 AM
A quick question: I see many who use foam guns leaving the soap on cars for quite a long time and I understand the process, etc. What I'm wondering is when washing a car by hand and you are using a good car wash, say Meguiar's® Gold Class™ Car Wash (which I currently have), how worried should I be leaving the soap on a car. In other words "how long is it safe to leave the soap on the car with out rinsing?" A lot of soaps seem to advertised like "This is incredibly concentrated, high performace Car Wash soap. Since it's pH neutral, it neutralizes the minerals in your water. You can wash the entire vehicle in the direct sun, and even let the suds dry! Then, go to lunch, have a nap, come back and rinse down the vehicle." Should I be looking for this in a wash/soap......are most premium wash/soaps Ph balanced??

Normally with any car wash, it is best to rinse the car down before the soap drys to make it easier to remove everything. It will not hurt to leave the soap on til it dries with a good soap but it causes more work than really necessary. Getting rid of soap residue after it has dried is a major PITA. Also if the soap still has some particles suspended in it, if it dries the particles will end up back on the paint, potentially causing problems. As far as pH goes, it is just referring to safeness for the paint. An acidic soap will etch the clear coat, and a basic soap will dry out the paint, pH neutral will not alter the paint.

If you don't feel like rinsing then pick up some ONR. Most premium soaps are pH neutral, the major difference between soaps is the rinsing ability, lubricity, and sudsing. I personally like to use DG902 because it rinses off very easily, has great lubricity, and sudses like crazy...the smell is also great. I have let it dry on the paint a few times, and it is hard to remove afterwards often leading to an 2nd wash.

Bunky
04-15-2010, 11:13 AM
I have seen some argue that leaving a ph balanced soap dry on your paint is safer than leaving rinse water on your paint if you have hard water (high ph, mineral content).

I have no idea but the argument seems interesting.

Fly bye
04-15-2010, 11:43 AM
if it dries, the particles will end up back on the paint

:iagree:

keepitclean
04-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Thanks Jon