PDA

View Full Version : Strange Griot's DA problems(new version)...

WRAPT C5Z06
04-14-2010, 11:29 PM
30 minutes into polishing with a 5" backing plate, orange flat pad, speed 6, and heavy pressure, the backing plate detached from the polisher. Caught me way off guard as I did not expect this. The polisher completely stripped the screw on the backing plate, I could not screw it back in. Any idea what could have caused the polisher to strip the screw? FWIW, after the incident, the 6" backing plate I have screwed in with no problem.

Also, when polishing on speed 6, the polisher really heats up the pad and it "swells" towards the middle. Why?

2003 GMC Denali
04-14-2010, 11:34 PM
Is this Thread helpful >>> http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/23152-lc-backing-plate-comparisons-new-er-da-design.html

WRAPT C5Z06
04-14-2010, 11:39 PM
Is this Thread helpful >>> http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/23152-lc-backing-plate-comparisons-new-er-da-design.html
Interesting. Thanks..

Didn't have and problems with the rivets or backing plate falling apart, just the stripped screw.

Harleyguy
04-15-2010, 07:26 AM
It's possible you didn't have the backing plate fully seating and tightened enough.With the vibration from the Da it could start walking out.As far as the heating up problem you might be over working the machine causing the heat build up.Also was the pad at all wet?? Remember all the posts about the hydro pads being wet and coming apart this may be close too the same scenario

Mike Phillips
04-15-2010, 07:54 AM
Also, when polishing on speed 6, the polisher really heats up the pad and it "swells" towards the middle. Why?

Pushing the tool and the pad to their limit?

Some jobs are best done with a rotary buffer. The trend I've noticed over the last 8 years online is that more and more people purchase DA Polishers because they're gentle and safe and then push the envelope more and more as to what they expect the tool to do.

Now with a more powerful tool, the Griot's Garage 6" ROP, the next weak link is going to be backing plates and pads.

We've already seen two companies re-design their backing plates to withstand more rigorous use. We've seen foam pad manufactures improve their adhesive technology to withstand more heat, chemical interaction and the violent oscillating action created by DA Polishers.

Here's a question, is it possible there isn't a problem with backing plates and pads, but instead, maybe we've reached the point where we're starting to reach the limit as to what technology can provide?

Just some food for thought...

:)

WRAPT C5Z06
04-15-2010, 08:55 AM
Thanks Adam and Mike, you guys make some valid points. I was using heavy pressure and the highest speed, so there's a good chance I was overworking the machine. I probably didn't have the backing plate tight enough, therefore, it stripped the screw. I was using an orange flat LC pad when this happened. I switched to a 6" backing plate since my 5" was done for, used a surbuf pad, and it helped a lot as far as defect removal. Surbuf pads are really good! I think I could have benefited from a rotary in this situation as stated.