PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong? Ford Paint

Pages : [1] 2

MUGEN SI
04-13-2010, 05:25 PM
I tried to use some Ultimate Compund today with G110 and yellow polishing pad. I followed the usual steps and I have watched your video many times on how to use the PC. It doesnt seem like the finish is correcting much at all. Either I am not doing it correct or maybe I need something stronger? I ordered some 105 just to have in my arsenal anyway but I havent got it yet. I tried to take the best pics I could I really do not have the best camera. Here are some pics sorry if they are not good. Also is the pad suppose to look like that? Its a 03 black Ford Escape.
http://images2c.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp53663%3Enu%3D3874%3E3%3A3%3E252%3EWS NRCG%3D32%3B86%3B%3C%3B%3B4343nu0mrj

http://images2e.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp537%3B7%3Enu%3D3874%3E3%3A3%3E252%3E WSNRCG%3D32%3B86%3B%3C%3B%3B5343nu0mrj

http://images2c.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp53666%3Enu%3D3874%3E3%3A3%3E252%3EWS NRCG%3D32%3B86%3B%3C%3B%3B6343nu0mrj

http://images2d.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp53697%3Enu%3D3874%3E3%3A3%3E252%3EWS NRCG%3D32%3B86%3B%3C%3B%3B7343nu0mrj

http://images2c.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp53668%3Enu%3D3874%3E3%3A3%3E252%3EWS NRCG%3D32%3B86%3B%3C%3B%3B8343nu0mrj

JonMiles
04-13-2010, 05:50 PM
you could either use a more abrasive pad or more aggressive compound or combination of both to correct the paint to your satisfaction. I have worked on quite a few escapes and their paint is normally pretty easy to work on. I have used 105 on a white compounding 3m pad with a rotary, followed by 205 with a 3m light blue ultrafine polishing pad on a rotary and achieved flawless results on 2 black escapes (03 and 05)

As far as your pad question goes, just clean it and re-prep it as outlined in the KB method. You can then use just a few small drops and get the job done. It looks like your pad is saturated IMO.

Also have you tried a compounding pad on a test section to see if the cut is appropriate? If you get the cut you want with a more aggressive pad but some marring then follow up with the lighter pad.

Mirror Detailing
04-13-2010, 05:53 PM
To me it looks like you are mirco marring the hell out of the paint from the pictures you have posted. I would say try using less aggressive pad to see if you remove that mirco marring out.

A4 1.8tqm
04-13-2010, 06:08 PM
If you don't get the cut you want, step up to your next aggressive combo (Polish or pad, not both at once) If that removes the swirls but leaves marring it's ok, the next step will get the gloss back.

That pad looks to me like you didn't clay before polishing, or even try to remove the old wax from years past.

MUGEN SI
04-13-2010, 06:18 PM
I didnt clay before, I was just trying to test out the compound before I attempted to do the whole car. I just gave that section a good wash to make sure there was no dirt or anything. The pad really didnt feel saturated it was only one little section I did and it was a new pad. I am fairly new to all of this so please bare with me! I just tried the same pad and compound on the pillar and it came out very nice. Im thinking maybe the hood is different since I think it was repainted before? I appreciate all the comments and help!

MUGEN SI
04-13-2010, 06:45 PM
To me it looks like you are mirco marring the hell out of the paint from the pictures you have posted. I would say try using less aggressive pad to see if you remove that mirco marring out.

So the yellow pad you think is too agressive?

Rsurfer
04-13-2010, 06:53 PM
So the yellow pad you think is too agressive?
If it's a yellow LC pad is like using a brick to polish. Try an orange pad. Is the repaint clear coated?

MUGEN SI
04-13-2010, 07:12 PM
No its a Meguairs polishing pad, yes Im assuming its clearcoated since it was repaired at a normal body shop a few years back when I had an accident.

JonMiles
04-13-2010, 09:04 PM
No its a Meguairs polishing pad, yes Im assuming its clearcoated since it was repaired at a normal body shop a few years back when I had an accident.

Claying before polishing is a must. If you have any surface contamination on the paint, an abrasive compound will lift it and implant it in your pad. The rotation of the pad will rub the contaminates on the paint and thus cause fine scratches from the contact of a particle to the paint.

If the pad you are using is the megs softbuff polishing pad, it is pretty mild overall so it may be a good choice for what you want to do. If you wish to get more cut it will be necessary to look at different options for pads and compounds such as the meguiars twins. Always start at the least aggressiveness possible and work up from there. If you decide its going to take 105 to do the trick, I would follow up with a finishing polish to get any marring out that remains.

As far as the repainted hood goes, use a white microfiber with some compound and rub a small area. If color shows up on the towel, it is single stage so your approach will have to be a little different. If it is base/clear, try taping off a small square on the hood and figure out what works by experimenting with different pad/polish combos until you find something adequate. It might take more than a single step to get the paint up to your standards.

Also remember to clean your pad often in order to minimize or possibly eliminate marring. Good luck with everything.

MUGEN SI
04-13-2010, 09:46 PM
So after each section that I try to polish, do I reapply more product on the pad, Im afraid that I will saturate it too much. I have been watching the videos and if I break down the hood say into 4 sections, after each section should I apply a X bead on the pad everytime? Sorry If I am posting in the wrong section or anything.

JonMiles
04-13-2010, 09:55 PM
So after each section that I try to polish, do I reapply more product on the pad, Im afraid that I will saturate it too much. I have been watching the videos and if I break down the hood say into 4 sections, after each section should I apply a X bead on the pad everytime? Sorry If I am posting in the wrong section or anything.

I'm not sure if it's the recommended way to go about things, but I always prep the pad with spray detailer before starting; then i put 5 small dabs of polish on the pad and spread it on low speed. This allows the polish to spread over the pad and over the section. After spreading I turn up the machine and polish as usual. After the section is complete, I wipe down the sectoin and I use a nylon brush to clean the crud out of the pad, then give it a quick spray and a few more dabs. I continue to the next section and repeat the process.

The process may be a little different with a DA because I work with a rotary almost exclusively.

MUGEN SI
04-13-2010, 10:16 PM
I will just be cleaning the pad on the fly as Mike Phillips reccomends. I just bought a few pads for my 08 Civic that I will trying to detail. I am scared to try it now! I bought a ccs white and ccs gray, I figured those were gentle for the Honda.

sportscarhiatus
04-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Always always clay before buffing. Or at least do the sandwich bag test before using a DA/rotary. Chances are that surface will feel rough. Giving it a good wash will not remove embedded contaminants. Only claying will. Letting a buffer loose on contaminated paint would just result in you literally swirling around grit and brake dust and deposits and etc.... yikes. So the swirls remaining on your pics are either because you didn't have an aggressive enough pad/polish combo, or you are micromarring the paint from contaminants. Eliminate one of the variables by claying.

Don't rush results. I know it's a lot of work, but you will reap and appreciate the rewards in the end. Good luck.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-13-2010, 11:13 PM
If it's a yellow LC pad is like using a brick to polish. Try an orange pad.
:iagree:

IME, a yellow pad will marr the hell out of paint. Use an orange pad an UC. If that doesn't do the trick, use an orange pad and M105. You must follow with a finer polish and a less abrasive pad(especially with black). :dblthumb2:

ASPHALT ROCKET
04-14-2010, 09:16 AM
You guys need to relax in your pad contamination posts if you do not clay. If it really was pad contamination why is the marring so uniform, do you think the contamination is going to get on the pad in such a uniform order. It is going to bunch up and if anything cause pigtails. I have an Expedition to start on today and I am not going to clay just for this very reason and take pics.