PDA

View Full Version : pls. clarify detailing process

robzie
10-24-2006, 10:07 AM
I know the rule of thumb is to start off with the least aggressive polsih before using a more aggressive one. let's use the XMT line as an example for this.

if I don't get the results I want with XMT#1, use XMT#2 (or 3), right?

So, if I use XMT#2 over #1, do I have to make a pass with #1 all over again before glaze and wax?

abrcrombe
10-24-2006, 11:17 AM
If you don't get the results with XMT#1 step up to XMT#2. Try different pad combinations on XMT#2 and if that works, and you leave no micromarring or hazing then you can go to glaze and wax. BUT, if XMT#2 removed the big swirls and left it's own micromarring or some hazing, you should use XMT#1 to "jewel" the surface and leave a perfect canvas for your glaze and wax. Remember, the key to an awesome looking car ISN'T the wax, it is the preparation. Good luck.

robzie
10-24-2006, 11:19 AM
thanks, abrcrmbe...

i guess another rule of thumb (for me) would be "don't be lazy and do the whole process!!!""

lol

justin_murphy
10-24-2006, 11:28 AM
You also have to look at the surface and see it's condition. If there are a ton of swirls, there's no need to start with #1 and most of the time, #2. And vice versa. I can get #3 LSP ready on most paints. It's alot about technique and experience.

robzie
10-24-2006, 11:35 AM
thanks, justin

blkyukon
10-24-2006, 11:48 AM
Here is my "rule of thumb"

Start with One Section and use the least aggressive polish/pad combo to get the job done. This will depend on the severity of the imperfections, but the majority of time start with a medium aggressive polish and polishing pad.
Work polish in completely (see polish breakdown stages (http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/ssr.html)), remove residue, check work, repeat (if needed) or go more aggressive (if needed) either by using higher speed, more pressure, a cutting pad or more aggressive polish.
After scratches/swirls are removed or minimized, step down to a less aggressive polish/pad combo to remove any hazing left from the more aggressive polishes...again, repeat if necessary.
Once the desired finish is achieved then move on to the other sections of the car.
By starting with one section it will allows you to see what product/pad combo is needed without going too aggressive or not aggressive enough to get the job done.

justin_murphy
10-24-2006, 11:56 AM
You also NEED to watch this if you have not already......

http://www.autogeek.net/po.html

cwcad
10-24-2006, 01:15 PM
Here is my "rule of thumb"

Start with One Section and use the least aggressive polish/pad combo to get the job done. This will depend on the severity of the imperfections, but the majority of time start with a medium aggressive polish and polishing pad.
Work polish in completely (see polish breakdown stages (http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/ssr.html)), remove residue, check work, repeat (if needed) or go more aggressive (if needed) either by using higher speed, more pressure, a cutting pad or more aggressive polish.
After scratches/swirls are removed or minimized, step down to a less aggressive polish/pad combo to remove any hazing left from the more aggressive polishes...again, repeat if necessary.
Once the desired finish is achieved then move on to the other sections of the car.
By starting with one section it will allows you to see what product/pad combo is needed without going too aggressive or not aggressive enough to get the job done.

That is a very sapient post.

I think that I am your biggest fan, BlkYukon.

Very informative post!!!!

justin_murphy
10-24-2006, 01:35 PM
I appreciat blkyukon's time and effort in his vids. They were the first ones I had ever seen. Taught me so much about the PC.

Thanks bro.

Justin

robzie
10-24-2006, 08:17 PM
thanks, blkyukon, very informative. hopefully i can get these steps together after I decide on what products to get...(that's another headache, lol)

blkyukon
10-25-2006, 09:27 AM
CWCAD & Justin30513 - Thanks guys I really appreciate it:cheers:

thanks, blkyukon, very informative. hopefully i can get these steps together after I decide on what products to get...(that's another headache, lol)

Your Welcome and good luck!

Nica
11-18-2006, 12:20 AM
Hey blkyukon,

That is a sweet site :righton: , I've been looking for this type of information for the past weeks. Specially about the breaking down of the products and the different stages they go through. In addition your videos are awsome, you make it look so easy....oh...I got a question for you. How long does it take for you to do an SUV? Lets say you didn't have to polish just seal and wax? Just wondering, because I have an SUV that I really want to make it shine and I'm trying to see how many hours or days I should be putting a side to do it.

joe.p
11-18-2006, 01:04 AM
That is a very sapient post.

I think that I am your biggest fan, BlkYukon.

Very informative post!!!!
Ditto..Almost all his post are on education and process..His vehicle is a great example of what you can do with the information that is provided in his videos..