PDA

View Full Version : Megs APC+ for cleaning LC pads

A4 1.8tqm
04-12-2010, 06:57 AM
I used APC+ at ~8/1 to clean a couple stubborn 6 1/2" LC flat pads. I gotta say that I was completely impressed with how well it worked (I wash my pads by hand). I've been happy with Snappy Clean for cleaning out polish, but wax and sealant have always been a PITA to get out of my pads.

I had a blue pad (used to apply Max Wax many times, and Auto Glym HD most recently) that was so clogged with wax (the pad had been left out and nearly dried with wax still in it). Even after multiple hand washes and rinses. I thought there was nothing more I could do for it. And a gray pad used with XMT 360 was just slightly "stained" with polish residue. APC+ brought them both to like new in a few seconds, and rinsed out very easily. I almost re-washed the 6 polish/compound pads I had just finished because the results were so good. You don't know how happy I was to get these pads so clean so easily, hand washing SUCKS!. :xyxthumbs:

elk42
04-12-2010, 07:58 AM
i love the megs apc. im gonna try it next time. wax is a pain for sure.

Mike Phillips
04-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Just a message about safety...

For anyone reading this, anytime you're hand washing pads with any kind of degreaser or other strong cleaning chemical, take the precaution of wearing gloves.

Washing pads usually means using your hand vigorously to squeeze, squish and wring-out the pads, this means stretching and expanding your hands/skin and opening the pores, which will allow chemicals to get into --> you <--

Live to detail with emphasis on the word live

:D

Action Detail
04-12-2010, 10:30 AM

For anyone reading this, anytime you're hand washing pads with any kind of degreaser or other strong cleaning chemical, take the precaution of wearing gloves.

Washing pads usually means using your hand vigorously to squeeze, squish and wring-out the pads, this means stretching and expanding your hands/skin and opening the pores, which will allow chemicals to get into --> you <--

How true! I was a mechanic for years and for those of you who know what a parts washer is, I used it without gloves and never gave it a second thought. I did this for a LONG time without any side effects. Now, I am 35 and I have a HORRIBLE skin condition called Dishidrotic Eczema that my dermatologist can only attribute to the constant exposure to the parts washer solvent (kerosene). It is MISERABLE. Please use gloves!

A4 1.8tqm
04-13-2010, 07:09 AM
...Live to detail with emphasis on the word live

Good advice Mike, APC+ won't hurt my pads will it?

How true! I was a mechanic for years and for those of you who know what a parts washer is, I used it without gloves and never gave it a second thought. I did this for a LONG time without any side effects. Now, I am 35 and I have a HORRIBLE skin condition called Dishidrotic Eczema that my dermatologist can only attribute to the constant exposure to the parts washer solvent (kerosene). It is MISERABLE. Please use gloves!

I had a pretty bad case of Eczema on my hand last year, came out of nowhere. Some prescribed ointment cleared it right up... I'll be more careful though cause it was MISERABLE! Sorry to hear you have to deal with it.

MI Mike
04-13-2010, 07:50 AM
:iagree:

Safety First !!!! Read the label. You may see things such as 'In case of skin contact', 'May cause skin irritation',
or even 'Contains Petroleum Distillates'. Protect your eyes also.

Not sure if wearing rubber gloves is right. Just tell everyone that may ask that your an Autogeek Surgeon,
performing delicate work on your auto. Your vehicle only deserves the best treatment you can give.

:buffing: :dblthumb2::xyxthumbs:

Mister B
04-13-2010, 08:22 AM
What kind of gloves does everyone use when handling the various detailing chemicals? Does AG carry any gloves?

gewb
04-13-2010, 09:08 AM
What kind of gloves does everyone use when handling the various detailing chemicals? Does AG carry any gloves?

Nitrile, one of two types:
1) short, just past wrist, hugs hand, disposable - general purpose use, general cleaning
2) long, mid-forearm, loose fitting, reusable (like typical dish washing gloves) - cleaning that involves submersing hands in liquid (washing MF cloths, polishing pads)

The first type I buy in bulk at Harbor Freight (100 per pack).

Second type is reusable which can be purchased at any hardware store (typically the paint or cleaning supply department).

Regards,
GEWB

MI Mike
04-13-2010, 09:08 AM

Whatever is on sale. You can go with one size fits all. The gloves will come either as Latex or Nitrile. The latex will be skin colored vs Nitrile which will be blue. If you are
allergic to latex use the nitrile. The nitrile are for heavy duty chemical use/lab use, etc. they are alittle more durable. Otherwise Latex works go. You can normally get a couple of uses out of them if your careful, otherwise use and pitch/recycle.