PDA

View Full Version : Measuring the correct amount of soap

Pages : [1] 2

Shane731
04-10-2010, 12:25 AM
OK, I don't know about everybody else, but I tend to be kind of lazy when it comes to washing the car. I mean, I do everything correctly (2 bucket method, grit guards, clean mitt, proper soap, clean drying tools, blah blah blah). However, the one thing I have never disciplined myself to do is to actually measure out my soap. I have always used the glug glug method. After all, who wants to do all that measuring and such? Well, I figured I would get a measuring cup (hopefully one that measured ounces) and actually start measuring out my soap. Went over to the kitchen crap section in Wally World, and happened across this:

http://s7.kmart.com/is/image/Sears/011W732270110001?hei=150&wid=150&op_sharpen=1

What is this, you ask? Well my friends, this is a 3 ounce plastic condiment cup. Price: 97 cents. Figure you only need approximately 3 gallons of wash water to do a wash, so all you need to do is put 3 gallons of water in your 5 gallon pail and make a line at that water level. Now, when you go to wash, fill your bucket to the 3 gallon mark, fill your condiment cup with soap, pour it in and swish it around in the water to get the soap out, then blast the water to get suds. Or fill the bucket below the 3 gallon mark, add soap, and then blast, whatever you want to do.

In his video "How to wash your car show car style" (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7598756069207401372#) from Show Car Garage,

Mike showed that you can measure however many ounces you want into a Dixie cup, and use that to get the right amount of car wash. However, if you're like me and that seems like too much work, then this will work just fine. Yeah, you could do the "measure out so many capfuls" thing, but that takes too long, right? :D

Hope this helps somebody out, looking forward to trying it out myself! :awesome:

:autowash:

JonM
04-10-2010, 12:46 AM
Thanks Shane...I am like you, and probably waste a lot of soap in the process. I'd imagine for the extra lazy they could just drop the little cup under the girt guard haha...though that may cause a few specks of dirt to stay floating :cry:

Finemess
04-10-2010, 06:58 AM
Nice find. I use one of the old cough syrup cups.

02CAMSS
04-10-2010, 07:59 AM
I use a baby bottle.

Old Tiger
04-10-2010, 08:58 AM
I use the Pro Blend and love it. It never makes a mess!

Dubbin1
04-10-2010, 09:16 AM
I use the Pro Blend and love it. It never makes a mess!

Mine doesn't seem to work with the DP soap.

I use the cup that comes with the Pinnacle MF cleaner.

Jenn1270
04-10-2010, 10:06 AM
I just bought the $1.99 set of measuring cups and got the $1.99 funnel set for the garage. Has worked out great. Gotta love Wally World.

daveinsweethome
04-10-2010, 10:30 AM
mike also has a video showing how to mark a bucket at 6 inch inside to equal 2 gallons of water. so i guess 9 inches would get you the 3 gallons. anal as i was i went right out and marked all my buckets. feels so good oh a shot glass would probably work too and after the water and soap could certainly double as a welcome refreshment

JohnnyC
04-10-2010, 10:57 AM
I use a baby bottle.

WHAT'S THE BABY USING ?:eek:

intmdt8r
04-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Another suggestion is to purchase the Griots Garage wash bucket with built-in grit guard that has a little indent that is the amount of soap you would need for a wash. Just pour into it for the correct amount everytime. Just my 2 cents!!!!

ZionsWrath
04-10-2010, 06:20 PM
WHAT'S THE BABY USING ?:eek:

The Pro Blend of course!

VISITOR
04-10-2010, 06:49 PM
clear laundry cup works for me. they got lines on them and all you have to do is pour in your desired amount in water, and then remember where it is near the lines and pour your car wash to that level every time...

TroyScherer
04-10-2010, 06:59 PM
I went to Dollar General and for less tan $2, I picked up a small measuring glass. It does Std and metric measuring from as little as an 1/2 ounce up to 4 ounces.

Sellncars
04-17-2010, 03:46 PM
You guys use soap? Question for Mike Phillips, Meguiars years ago had the soap that looked like paper strips, i found them at Big Lots and actually liked the strips, so i bought them all, unfortunately Meguiars stopped making this product, sorry, my question, how many of these strips should be used per wash?

Mike Phillips
04-17-2010, 04:13 PM
mike also has a video showing how to mark a bucket at 6 inch inside to equal 2 gallons of water. so i guess 9 inches would get you the 3 gallons.

anal as i was i went right out and marked all my buckets.

That's funny...

Here's that video...

The difference between a Normal Car Wash, a Waterless Car Wash and a Rinseless Car Wash and how to use a Rinseless Car Wash (http://www.palmbeachmotoring.net/ascg-videos/rinseless-wash.html)

And a screenshot from the portion you mention...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/824/markinbucket.jpg

:)