PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Highlander rear wheel wells

glennh
04-09-2010, 08:52 PM
We just got a 2010 Toyota Highlander about a week ago and as I was installing mudflaps I was surprised to see what I saw in the rear wheel wells.

I was surprised to find that much of the rear part of the rear wheel well is some sort of heavy weaved fabric rather than a pure plastic. Kinda hard to describe, but it reminds me more of the inside of my old Mazda 626's trunk inside than a traditional plastic wheel well. Picture below.

Couple of questions:
1) Anyone know what this material is called?
2) Is this something new and in use on many vehicles?
3) Any cleaning tips? It seems like any dirt or mud would just grab onto this and be difficult to get out.

Thanks!

http://harm.net/tempimages/highlander-ww.jpg

loudog2
04-09-2010, 08:55 PM
I have the same thing on my Infiniti G35X. It keeps the wheel wells looking good(doesn't fade).

bmw5541
04-09-2010, 08:57 PM
We just got a 2010 Toyota Highlander about a week ago and as I was installing mudflaps I was surprised to see what I saw in the rear wheel wells.

I was surprised to find that much of the rear part of the rear wheel well is some sort of heavy weaved fabric rather than a pure plastic. Kinda hard to describe, but it reminds me more of the inside of my old Mazda 626's trunk inside than a traditional plastic wheel well. Picture below.

Couple of questions:
1) Anyone know what this material is called?
2) Is this something new and in use on many vehicles?
3) Any cleaning tips? It seems like any dirt or mud would just grab onto this and be difficult to get out.

Thanks!

http://harm.net/tempimages/highlander-ww.jpg

Most new cars have this fabric coated rear wheel wells now. I don't know what it is called, but the reason that is done is for noise reduction.

I usually clean this with a heavy spray of APC, and then scrub it with a long handle brush and car soap. Then rinse off, and spray with AA Tire Foam.

I hope this helps.

Grizzly
04-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Just a heavy stream of water cleans it really well.

Piku
04-09-2010, 10:05 PM
My VW GLI has the same thing. I spray it with a heavy stream of water from my fire hose nozzle. This removes any little junk that is stuck there. Occasionally, I would spray some APC and then rinse it off. Four years latter and it looks great with no fading.

autodromo
04-09-2010, 10:39 PM
That is weird. I have a new evo X and there is nothing like that on mine. but than again that car has no noise reduction what so ever.

glennh
04-09-2010, 10:42 PM
Excellent--thanks for all the great info!