PDA

View Full Version : claybaring ?

97Avenger
04-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Just wondering if there something else I could use for lube to spry on the car besides meguiars quik detail or similiar? Would car wash soap work just as good?

JonMiles
04-09-2010, 06:09 PM
There are plenty of options out there. You can use speed glaze, a little car wash soap in water(but tends to break up the clay if the soap is not very good), some ONR, or just about any QD.

I find that DG902 works great for clay lube with clay magic red. I mix it about 1:32

OCDetails
04-09-2010, 06:11 PM
I use soapy water. Just regular car wash soap. It works great. Well, I say that, but I have to say that I love it when I get a new bottle of clay lube that I can use instead. It is just too spendy most of the time for me. Considering that soapy water does the trick just as well, I just can't justify the expense.

97Avenger
04-09-2010, 06:17 PM
yea it's a little costly and I do have dp auto shampoo but also have some armor-all that the mother in law gave me.

A4 1.8tqm
04-09-2010, 06:33 PM
ONR is my favorite.

D0ughB0y
04-15-2010, 10:21 PM
I know that the spray detailer like final inspection or the types are a bit expensive, but are you claying your car that often that you use a lot of it?

I clayed a giant 2002 Caddy DTS and my 2003 Ranger FX4 and still have enough to probably do my brother's '05 GTi without a problem. That's about 5 bucks a car (on the expensive side) and I was pretty liberal with the lubricant.

JonMiles
04-15-2010, 10:48 PM
I know that the spray detailer like final inspection or the types are a bit expensive, but are you claying your car that often that you use a lot of it?

I clayed a giant 2002 Caddy DTS and my 2003 Ranger FX4 and still have enough to probably do my brother's '05 GTi without a problem. That's about 5 bucks a car (on the expensive side) and I was pretty liberal with the lubricant.

ONR is probably the best economical clay lube when doing a lot of cars, a 32 oz bottle costs 16 bucks, and makes 16 gallons of clay lube if mixed 2:128. So thats an estimated 4 cents per car if used while the car is still wet, and about 10 cents a car if used while the car is dry.

You can mix it stronger say 6 oz/gal and it would still only cost about 12-30 cents a car depending on the method.

D0ughB0y
04-15-2010, 11:29 PM
ONR is probably the best economical clay lube when doing a lot of cars, a 32 oz bottle costs 16 bucks, and makes 16 gallons of clay lube if mixed 2:128. So thats an estimated 4 cents per car if used while the car is still wet, and about 10 cents a car if used while the car is dry.

You can mix it stronger say 6 oz/gal and it would still only cost about 12-30 cents a car depending on the method.

Heh. I was looking at it from the weekend detailer-as-a-hobby guy's eyes. For me, 5 bucks a car isn't bad if I'm only going to be claying the car occasionally. For those that are doing it in volume/for a living... I can see your point.

JonMiles
04-15-2010, 11:58 PM
Heh. I was looking at it from the weekend detailer-as-a-hobby guy's eyes. For me, 5 bucks a car isn't bad if I'm only going to be claying the car occasionally. For those that are doing it in volume/for a living... I can see your point.

Well from a hobbiest standpoint, a 32oz bottle of ONR would last about a lifetime as a clay lube only. You would never have to buy clay lube again lol

Fly bye
04-16-2010, 12:02 AM
Would car wash soap work just as good?

That's what I use, & have had good results.

FastZR1
04-16-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm a weekend warrior so a spray bottle mixed with water and car soap works just fine for the amout of claying I do. I try and save my pennies for the good stuff, like polishes and pads and microfiber towels... you know.