PDA

View Full Version : On the market for a paint gauge... Many questions

cobraa
04-08-2010, 10:48 PM
OK,

I'm only a weekend detailer and 700$+ is too expensive for me.

1) I'm looking in the 250$ range.

2) Is it possible to read fiberglass and plastic with a 250$ paint gauge?

3) I heard some gauge can't even read aluminium/any different metal than steel. is it true? How do I know if X PTG can read it?

4) I read a great review on the Cen-tech gauge that comes with calibrating tools that seems to give pretty accurate reading, but does it read different metal?

Centech for 110$ or Highliner for 200$ ? Any other PTG?

Happy detailing!:buffing:

richy
04-08-2010, 10:53 PM
I have the highline and it's been great. No, you cannot get one that does plastic or other non-metallic surfaces for $250. In fact, it'll cost you a few grand. Not worth it for me. I believe the Highline can measure aluminum too but I can't remember for sure. Their website will be very specific on what their gauges can and can't do. It is a very worthwhile tool to have, especially if you plan on doing any wet sanding. Good luck with your purchase.

cobraa
04-08-2010, 10:59 PM
my own car is made of aluminium. I need, at least, a PTG that can read alu . bare minimum!

richy
04-08-2010, 11:05 PM
I should not have been so lazy on my 1st post...sorry. The highline II which I have, does do aluminum as well. Google highline paint meter, you'll find it.

C. Charles Hahn
04-08-2010, 11:45 PM
Anyone know where one would look to RENT a PTG that reads on fiberglass substrates? I've got a couple Corvette projects coming up that having a gauge would come in very handy for. The one I'm almost positive I'll end up doing some wet sanding on.

richy
04-09-2010, 08:03 AM
Anyone know where one would look to RENT a PTG that reads on fiberglass substrates? I've got a couple Corvette projects coming up that having a gauge would come in very handy for. The one I'm almost positive I'll end up doing some wet sanding on.

The Highline or Elcometer company is located just outside of Detroit, in your neck of the woods. You might want to call them and see if they'd do it for ya.
CONTACT INFO (http://highlinemeter.com/contact.html)

cobraa
04-19-2010, 07:46 AM
Bought the Centech for 100$ shipped, I hope it really read aluminium!

5.4 Shelby
04-19-2010, 08:43 AM
Bought the Centech for 100$ shipped, I hope it really read aluminium!
Where did you get it from? I cant find it at Harbor Freight.

sullysdetailing
04-19-2010, 09:30 AM
The Highline or Elcometer company is located just outside of Detroit, in your neck of the woods. You might want to call them and see if they'd do it for ya.
CONTACT INFO (http://highlinemeter.com/contact.html)

Thanks for the info, I am going to order on of these :)