PDA

View Full Version : cash is king

Pages : [1] 2

nittyv12
04-08-2010, 09:57 PM
it sure is...but with everyone using debit and cc, do most of you mobile detailers use the portable or stationary cc processing machines to accept payments?

ScottB
04-09-2010, 09:50 PM
you can apply for merchant services at your local bank. Remember the costs involved with machine rental, service, and each transaction. Also alot of them have contracts locked for several years. Offering the use of debt card and credit cards can also mean chargebacks.

A4 1.8tqm
04-10-2010, 06:05 AM
You could take CC payments through PayPal (https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_wp-standard-overview-outside) on your website. Free account has no monthly charges, but 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction. Really easy to set up if you created/maintain your website yourself, just copy and paste the provided code. :dblthumb2:

Wax Gorilla
04-10-2010, 06:22 AM
Costco, Sam's & BJ's all have great CC acceptance packages at very competitive prices. The wireless machines with card scanning are the best and when you have the CC present the rates are lower. Also keep in mind that your image as looking like a professional instead of a weekend warrior does carry some weight in the decision. But I never refuse cash either ! :)

gumbedamit
05-26-2010, 08:10 AM
it sure is...but with everyone using debit and cc, do most of you mobile detailers use the portable or stationary cc processing machines to accept payments?
I know this post is a month old, but I came accross it just now. I am waitnig for the new iphone 4G before I go ahead and purchase this product. I know, you're saying what has this got to do with Wireless Credit Card payments. everything. There's a compnay called Square that you can get an "app" for the iphone that allows you to do CC transactions on your iphone, droid phone and many smart phones without having to get a merchant account. Check it out.

https://squareup.com/

HighEndDetail
05-26-2010, 09:53 AM
I do not use a cc method. Only check or cash, and never had a issue with any customer.
In all the years I have been doing business..

sullysdetailing
05-26-2010, 03:46 PM
If you have peach tree and internet you can charge the card right there on site I believe they charge 3% per charge. I try to deal with cash or checks.

nittyv12
06-09-2010, 08:42 PM
i think i'll be sticking with cash only. i make it a point to tell clients during appointment setting. i have heard of square, but they still charge a %/transaction.

maximus20895
06-09-2010, 08:46 PM
I would take a check as well. That's not hard either.

Advanced Detailing
06-09-2010, 09:50 PM
In all the years i have been in bussiness i have on very rare occasions had customers ask if thewy could pay with a credit card.
Regardless of the amount most just reach in their pocket and pull out whatever is owed.

detailjohn
06-09-2010, 10:59 PM
You gotta take credit cards. Costco has a good deal, make sure to get a debit keypad with it, as debit is even cheaper. Having a credit card machine on hand can make or break a deal on a $1500 major paint correction job.

O.C.Detailing
06-10-2010, 06:12 PM
I don't know if my work is worth $1500 yet, but as of now, I ONLY accept cash and checks, though I do prefer cash for certain reasons. lol I won't say why out loud though. ;) ;) I just hope you can figure it out.

Eventually, if O.C.Detailing gets big enough to purchase a store-front, then I will definitely start taking Credit/debit cards for payment. I'll also charge bounced-check fees. So far so good on no bad checks though. Whew. Hope I didn't just jinx myself. :D

Expert Car Care
06-18-2010, 07:07 PM
In Ontario we are about to get hit with yet another 8% tax. Once that kicks in we are required to charge an additional 13% extra tax on everything, so I will not be surprised to see a lot of cash offers rather than debit or credit.

WindyCity
06-23-2010, 06:03 PM
I know this post is a month old, but I came accross it just now. I am waitnig for the new iphone 4G before I go ahead and purchase this product. I know, you're saying what has this got to do with Wireless Credit Card payments. everything. There's a compnay called Square that you can get an "app" for the iphone that allows you to do CC transactions on your iphone, droid phone and many smart phones without having to get a merchant account. Check it out.

https://squareup.com/

Have you used this service? It looks like a good one. I like fact that there are no fees

ryandamartini
06-23-2010, 06:46 PM
There are CC readers for iphone which are pretty slick! I take credit cards. I put it on my business cards and usually they always pay through cc now.

you will be happy with squareup. its awesome! The only thing is that their information requirements with signup are questionable. Its worked very well for me though.