PDA

View Full Version : Cyclo as an investment?

Shinystang
04-08-2010, 08:00 PM
I have been an amatuer detailer for twenty-some years. I started with a GEM 16 lb orbital, then added a Porter Cable and Flex 3401 to the collection. Finally got the guts to try a Makita rotary. Never tried a Cyclo, but have always been curious.

This past week, I noticed 3 used (VERY used) Cyclo polishers on eBay. One looked like it was pulled out of a dumpster, came with no accessories and may have had a bad power cord The other two were in a little better shape, but not by much.

At the end of the auctions, every one of them sold for AT LEAST $200! Not bad when a new one can be purchased at AG for $270!

Wish my car held it's value as well!!!!!

If you have a Cyclo, I'd be interested in your thoughts on adding it to the arsenal.

Cheers!

the_invisible
04-08-2010, 08:33 PM
With the abundance of smaller pads at lower costs, the Cyclo is a great choice. Don't look at it as an investment, because it will only lose its value in price. However, look at it as a toy that may provide you with the utilities that are worth more than its loss in monetary value.

SATMAN40
04-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Tell your wife you are going to use it as a carpet scrubber, a tub polisher, show her the value and you will be fine with you new toy.

I sell my old toys on Ebay, and use the money to buy new ones...

Shinystang
04-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Genious idea! The multi-tasking tool that does household chores as well! Thanks for the ideas!!!!!

Harleyguy
04-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Save your money if you have a rotary and a PCXP no reason to spend anymore money you have all areas covered in Paint correction.Buy a small backing plate for you rotary and PC and you have the small areas covered.Plus the Cyclo IMO doesn't get into small areas to well

OCDetails
04-09-2010, 10:16 AM
I wouldn't get a Cyclo with all the other tools you have. You really won't ever find a need for it. I have smaller pads for my PC that I use whenever I need to do a smaller area. The Cyclo looks like a machine straight out of the 50s. It looks like a retro blender with two polishing pads attached to it. It is heavy, bulky, and very awkward to use in tight places. Effective though it may be, I think you have better tools at your disposal currently. The Cyclo would just be more bling in your garage and it likely wouldn't get used hardly at all. I would spend the money on smaller pads for your PC like harleyguy said.

RTexasF
04-13-2010, 11:16 AM
I use a Cyclo almost exclusively but I agree with the other folks here. With all the tools you have at hand this would not be a great addition with the possible exception of scrubbing upholstery or carpets.

ClearlyCoated
04-13-2010, 03:29 PM
I don't own a Cyclo, but saw this Craigslist ad (San Diego, CA) last year. I still have the ad because I emailed it to someone whom I knew would be interested in it. I don't know if he bought it, but I'm sure it's long gone by now. Anyway, I think it speaks volumes of the Cyclo's durability.

And yes, even though the original pics from the ad are missing, the Cyclo has not changed much from the original 1950's design.

tuscarora dave
11-03-2010, 05:39 AM
My first polisher was a Cyclo and I have turned out some very nice results with it. It is geared up with carpet brushes now that I have bought my other polishers. I would not want to be without it as it has the power to be pushed hard into dirty floor mats for deep cleaning. It saves me a ton of time doing interiors and yes I have scrubbed the carpets in the house with it too. If you would but one and use it for carpets it wouldn't take long to pay for itself. All that said I still agree with the other comments about it being a bit cumbersome for polishing tight areas but if I had a 53' semi trailer to shine up the Cyclo would be my go to machine.

James442
11-12-2010, 10:24 AM
I love my cyclo and use it ALWAYS> but as the others have said, I wouldnt shell out more money and have to get more pads just for the cyclo. I have yet to use it on carpets though that is on the list. If you are new and dont have anything I say a flex and or a cyclo and thats it. I don t use my rotary unless its really heavy or aluminum with a wool pad. I did just run over my cyclo and it still works so as ugly and heavy(come on its not that bad, its less then some old rotarys) it still works after years of service and look to get 10 plus yrs out of it.