PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Leather Protectant vs. 1Z Leather Care *PIC*

Pages : [1] 2

WRAPT C5Z06
04-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Sofa cushion was first cleaned with 1Z deep plastic cleaner(excellent for cleaning coated leather) and a leather scrub brush, then wiped clean with a damp towel.

Few minutes later, Optimum leather protectant(aka optimum protectant plus) was applied to the right side with a foam applicator. Next, 1Z leather care was applied with a foam applicator on the left. I put another coat of 1Z to remove those 4 spots in the middle. It removed them, but still streaked and splotched.

I was not working in direct sunlight. I took the picture outside so I could get the best light.

To me, I can can clearly see optimum leather protectant has a much more uniform application. 1Z seems to streak and splotch. A win for optimum, IMO.

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss189/brewinz_2009/030.jpg

Matt S.
04-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Nice. Optimum looks a bit darker as well, unless it's just the lighting. I'll have to give it a shot....so many leather products to use!

WRAPT C5Z06
04-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Nice. Optimum looks a bit darker as well
I don't think it's the lighting. :) Sorry for the crappy iphone pics. However, in person, there are streaks from the 1Z that are just as dark as the optimum. If the 1Z was more uniform, I think they'd look very close. :xyxthumbs:

Matt S.
04-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Did you try working 1Z in thoroughly and buff off the excess residue after? I guess it never splotches on my seats since they're not a smooth/shiny texture like the leather in your picture.

CEE DOG
04-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Weird... Never had the faintest hint of streaking or splotch when using 1Z on my car leather. Looking forward to trying the Optimum though.

CTS-Veo
04-08-2010, 12:42 PM
The optimum appears to have a "wetter" look; do either products feel greasy or slippery after they dry?

What are you planning on doing with the cushion before "installing" it? Clean off the 1z, and put optimum on the whole cushion?

Pats300zx
04-08-2010, 12:54 PM
I love Optimum Leather. It's one of my favorite interior dressing. You can also use it on vinyl.

Meghan
04-08-2010, 01:03 PM
It's nice to see you guys helping out in the house too with the cleaning! :props:

WRAPT C5Z06
04-08-2010, 02:12 PM
It's nice to see you guys helping out in the house too with the cleaning! :props:
It was a good leather test panel. My girlfriend would kill me if she saw it like that! :laughing:

I cleaned the 1Z portion and applied optimum. Looks better now.

Matt, I did buff the excess 1Z after the first application.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Can 1Z be used on coated vinyl?

ScottB
04-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Did you shake the LeatherCare ?? Its more of a lotion than Optimum and could result in the streaking. If you want a darker look, use Einszett Vinyl/Rubber Dressing on leather.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-08-2010, 04:50 PM
The optimum appears to have a "wetter" look; do either products feel greasy or slippery after they dry?

Ya know, the optimum does leave a slight greasy feel to it. I'm not 100% sold on either of these.

What about wolfgang or pinacle leather conditioner? Is one more matte than the other?

A4 1.8tqm
04-08-2010, 05:12 PM
I love using car products around the house but be careful with tape on coated leather, your GF might actually kill you if a strip of black was missing from the cushion. :cheers:

WRAPT C5Z06
04-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Automotive leather is finished/coated, so we're not treating the actual leather, we're treating the protective coating. So why even use leather products, when you should use products to clean and protect urethane coating? Unfinished leather would benefit from leather products.

kronos
04-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Automotive leather is finished/coated, so we're not treating the actual leather, we're treating the protective coating. So why even use leather products, when you should use products to clean and protect urethane coating? Unfinished leather would benefit from leather products.

Automotive leather is top-coated, but it is also breathable (or so I've been told). So even though it may not soak up conditioners like older uncoated leather, it will still soak-in some conditioners, oils and soften the leather, if ever so slightly. Even though my seats are coated, I still use leatherique and it does make a difference. :xyxthumbs: