PDA

View Full Version : Griot's Paint Sealant

termigator
04-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Does anybody have experience with Griot's Paint Sealant? I just picked up some and would like to know others' experience with it. Length of time to haze? Cure time? It also claims to possess swirl filling capability along with durability for year. If anybody has used the stuff, I'd like to hear your experience. Thanks.

5.4 Shelby
04-07-2010, 08:03 PM
I have used it. I use it on my daily drivers and on the wheels of my Mustang. Durability is good. I have not waited a year. I always do Spring and Fall protection. It is still running strong at 6 months. My daily drivers are garaged year round. My wife's vehicle sits outside 3 days a week while she works.

You must apply thinly. IF you leave it thick, it is a bear to remove. Very sticky. If you do get it on too thick, mist it with QD to assist removal. If put on thinly it hazes in about 20 min in my exp. removal is easy when applied thinly.

I dont know about cure time. I never apply wax over it since I use it for DD. If you call GG they may be able to tell you.

I have not really tested filling ability.

I dont think you will see the depth like WG DGPS 3.0. But, I dont really use it for gloss. I am after long term protection. I just bought the WG and applied it for the first time. I dont know how it compares for durability. Gloss is superior. I will try covering the Griots with carnauba to eval gloss.

Overall, I would give it a thumbs up.

termigator
04-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the info. I was thinking about putting it on my cousin's DD when we work on it this weekend. The cars a beater, but he still keeps it in the garage, so that should help with durability. The biggest concern I had was ease of application and removal. I'll be sure to try and keep it thin.:props:

Gunslinger
04-07-2010, 09:20 PM
I use it on the family's daily drivers. While I prefer the look of a carnauba wax (which I use on the fun cars), for the longevity and protection the Paint Sealant does what I want. The daily cars get used in all kinds of weather. I've found it works great and has an extremely shiny, reflective look, though a bit on the plastic looking side that sealants are known for.

Between washings I use Griot's Spray On Wax over the sealant.

On my car and my wife's car (which are garaged), it lasts a full year with no problem. My daughter's car, which sits outside year around, I do it twice a year...Spring and Fall.

It hazes pretty quickly, though outside temperature and humidity can affect that. It's easy to wipe off. Cure time for any sealant is 12-24 hours.

termigator
04-07-2010, 09:53 PM
I use it on the family's daily drivers. While I prefer the look of a carnauba wax (which I use on the fun cars), for the longevity and protection the Paint Sealant does what I want. The daily cars get used in all kinds of weather. I've found it works great and has an extremely shiny, reflective look, though a bit on the plastic looking side that sealants are known for.

Between washings I use Griot's Spray On Wax over the sealant.

On my car and my wife's car (which are garaged), it lasts a full year with no problem. My daughter's car, which sits outside year around, I do it twice a year...Spring and Fall.

It hazes pretty quickly, though outside temperature and humidity can affect that. It's easy to wipe off. Cure time for any sealant is 12-24 hours.

Wow! you actually get a year out of it? That's impressive even for garaged vehicles. I'm surprised it doesn't get mentioned more often in the durability wars.

Gunslinger
04-08-2010, 07:31 AM
I don't have a problem with getting a year out of Griot's Paint Sealant...the caveat is I use their Spray Wax after washings like I said, so that adds some protection. The car that sits outside all the time gets it twice yearly.

As far as the Griot's Sealant not getting better press, my own opinion is no matter how good Griot's products are, their packaging doesn't "pop" or have high tech graphics like most products seem to nor do they have fancy names to attract attention. You also have to take into account the people who frequent here are real care care fanatics...they probably use sealants and waxes far more often than truly necessary simply because they care enough to do so and enjoy doing so.

I'm not knocking other brand products and it is a tough market...some kind of brand recognition is necessary. To me, Griot's products just deliver on how they perform, not how the packaging looks.