PDA

View Full Version : Noob with a big project...

Strelok
04-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Hi everyone
I recently bought a BMW E30 with a great running engine but a horrendous paintjob. The car used to be Cirrusblau Metallic, and was faded and oxidized, nothing a good hardcore detail wouldn't take care of. The PO I guess didn't know this, so he did a black rollon job with what I am assuming is Rust o leum. It's pretty bad, especially on the hood. There is little to no sheen and there are runs and roller marks all over.

A few weeks ago, I was putting masking tape around my tail lights to smoke them. When I pulled the tape off, some black came with it. Note this tape was not very tacky at ALL. This gave me an idea. If the paint comes off that easily, it seems like it would be possible to get it all off with a good sanding, and get the original blue color back, at which point I could restore it.

Does this sound plausible at all? I know for a fact that the blue is still intact underneath the black, as the black is chipped in some areas, revealing blue. I really can't afford a respray so this is pretty much my only option for makign my car nice and shiny!

Thanks!

Munich77
04-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Rather than sanding - do you think a pressure wash would get it off? Perhaps some of the other experts on the board can chip in.

JonMiles
04-05-2010, 09:37 PM
I'm with munich on the pressure wash idea, but if that doesn't work it may take a solvent to remove. I would try some megs body solvent on a small area and see. It all depends on the paint the dealer used on what will take it off. I would avoid sanding until I have removed the roll on paint and taken some paint readings.

If you can get rid of most of it with pressure or solvent, a good clay should remove the remaining paint. It sounds to me like cleanup after this roller job is going to be a pain, but do your best to remove it without sanding or harming what's underneath.

Shane731
04-05-2010, 09:37 PM
If you want to sand, this would probably be a good read: Removing Orange Peel & Sanding Marks with the Griot's ROP and the Wolfgang Twins (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wet-sanding-cutting-buffing/21463-removing-sanding-marks-griot-s-rop-wolfgang-twins.html). Hopefully some of the experts on wetsanding will chime in. (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wet-sanding-cutting-buffing/21463-removing-sanding-marks-griot-s-rop-wolfgang-twins.html)

rohnramirez
04-05-2010, 09:53 PM
That would be extremely hard to pull off without damaging the coat underneath; given it wasn't sanded prior to the roll-job. Panel edges have thinner coats of paint than other areas, that is one possibility why they easily peeled off. But i'm hoping it could help.

Welcome to AG.