PDA

View Full Version : Need to buy some stuff?

jmy2469
04-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Now that it is getting warmer here in NJ, time to do some cleaning. I no longer have my Mustang, that was a lease and went back to the dealer. Not a good time for me to get a new car,so I picked up a 1986 Mercury Grand Marquis that a friend had. Car is dark gray, roof is half vinyl. Looking to clean this thing up. Paint is oxidized. Ifigured I would order some new stuff to get me started. I will be doing this all by hand. What should I pick up? Not looking to enter the car in any shows, just want to get it looking good again. Thanks for the help. John

termigator
04-05-2010, 03:01 PM
My parents had an 85' Grand Marquis. I really liked the design, but the paint was awful. I think Ford was having paint problems back then. In any case, I'm pretty sure you have single stage paint. I remember our 85' oxidizing pretty badly even though I "Turtle Waxed" it every so often. I remember trying to fix it with Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound and Polishing Compound. It made it better than before, but it still sucked. Guess I didn't know any better then.
It would help if you had a picture of the car so we can see the condition of the paint.
Can't really make blind suggestions without seeing the car.

BobbyG
04-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Well you came to the right place! :props:

jmy2469
04-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Later on,I'll take a few pics and post them.