PDA

View Full Version : Flex XC 3401 VRG

Pages : [1] 2

BobbyG
04-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Well, after placing an order for a Flex 3401 this morning I'm officially part of the Flex fraternity! I have a Porter Cable 7424 and a Makita 9227 so I think this will add a nice touch to the stable! :buffing: Im the MAN

Comments are always Welcome!!

Matt S.
04-05-2010, 01:39 PM
7424/3401/9227 crew checking in :D

BobbyG
04-06-2010, 12:06 PM
What pad sizes do you typically use on your Flex 3401?

Recommendations are more than welcome!

Feed back please

Matt S.
04-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Either 6.5" flat or CCS, or the 7" Kompressor pads. :)

BobbyG
04-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Thanks Matt!! :xyxthumbs:

Dubbin1
04-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Jumping in because I also have one on the way Im the MAN

Matt S.
04-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Oh, and don't forget the 6.5" Hydro Techs....6" Kompressors work well as well. And the Meguiar's 6.5" pads....ahh so many choices. :)

Blackthorn One
04-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Either 6.5" flat or CCS, or the 7" Kompressor pads. :)
My Kompressors just don't stick to my backing plate. I've hardly even used them. I am very disappointed. The velcro is weak and sparse, and the center of the pad pulls away from the backing plate. Even with the pad held firmly against the paint, there is absolutely no way to prevent the pad from getting lopsided after less than a minute, and then I have to stop and readjust the pad constantly. This is much less true of the super soft gold pad, but the velcro is still weak. I am very disappointed with the Kompressors. I just tried out a CCS pad yesterday, which really sticks firmly. Now that I've used that for the first time, I realize how bad my Kompressors are. The Kompressors are the first pads I used on a buffer, so I have had little experience.

Matt S.
04-06-2010, 03:19 PM
That's odd. I usually just press the center firmly to get the velcro to stick, and I've never had an issue.

A4 1.8tqm
04-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Flex owner checking in :D

Oh, and don't forget the 6.5" Hydro Techs...

+1 :dblthumb2:

Blackthorn One
04-06-2010, 06:20 PM
That's odd. I usually just press the center firmly to get the velcro to stick, and I've never had an issue.
I do press in the center. i press and press, with my palm, with my fingers, and I even try to rub it in a bit while pressing. I bought 12 of these. I've tried 7 of them so far. The rest are unopened. The Flex was new when I used the pads. All I have to do is tap the flex against my hand and the pads pop off. Once one hit the ground because of it, which was the orange pad, because it is so stiff. Basically, the stiffer the pad, the more the center of the pad resists the velcro, because of the way that the pad is molded in a dome shape. Also, because there is no velcro on the back of the pad where "KOMPRESSOR" is written in big letters, there is even less velcro on the pad with which to stick on. Lastly, the white velcro on the back of the pad is of a much smaller diameter than on the other pads. Basically, there are two dome shaped sections of velcro on the back of the pad that are just less than 25% of the surface area of the CCS pads. That and the dome shaped cross section of the pad means it comes off. Maybe there is something wrong with mine. I sure would like replacements, maybe in hydro tech.

BobbyG
04-07-2010, 06:40 AM
I do press in the center. i press and press, with my palm, with my fingers, and I even try to rub it in a bit while pressing. I bought 12 of these. I've tried 7 of them so far. The rest are unopened. The Flex was new when I used the pads. All I have to do is tap the flex against my hand and the pads pop off. Once one hit the ground because of it, which was the orange pad, because it is so stiff. Basically, the stiffer the pad, the more the center of the pad resists the velcro, because of the way that the pad is molded in a dome shape. Also, because there is no velcro on the back of the pad where "KOMPRESSOR" is written in big letters, there is even less velcro on the pad with which to stick on. Lastly, the white velcro on the back of the pad is of a much smaller diameter than on the other pads. Basically, there are two dome shaped sections of velcro on the back of the pad that are just less than 25% of the surface area of the CCS pads. That and the dome shaped cross section of the pad means it comes off. Maybe there is something wrong with mine. I sure would like replacements, maybe in hydro tech.

Just curious, have you tried another pad manufacture? I'm wondering if the velcro backing plate that came with the unit is the problem.

BobbyG
04-07-2010, 06:49 AM
Does anyone lubricate the felt ring on these units prior to using? I read an article on this but find no reference in the manual.

tuscarora dave
04-07-2010, 07:16 AM
I just Got my Flex and am getting ready to go use it on it's first job. I also have the 9227, G110V2, Cyclo and Griot's 3" dust collecter. (it just takes up room on a shelf) After I drink my coffee I am going to do a Buick Park Avenue so I'll have lots of real estate to get used to my new machine.:xyxthumbs:

termigator
04-07-2010, 08:46 AM
Does anyone lubricate the felt ring on these units prior to using? I read an article on this but find no reference in the manual.

I've had my Flex for over a year and I never oiled the ring. At the beginning, I was worried when the plate got really hot, but I found out that it's normal.