PDA

View Full Version : Does a Shop Vac Blow Clean Air???

jernal024
04-04-2010, 01:31 AM
Thinking about buying a Rigid Wet/Dry/Blower Vac from Craigslist.

Assuming the filter is fairly clean and I buy a new hose dedicated to blowing ONLY...

Do you think it would be safe to blow air onto a freshly washed car?

If not, do you think buying one of the stronger HEPA filters would help?

ZionsWrath
04-04-2010, 02:08 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-tools-accessories/6115-shop-vac.html

BobbyG
04-04-2010, 06:36 AM
It won't blow particulates larger then the pore size of the filter which is pretty damn small.

You'll be fine however I don't know if a shop vac will provide you with the volume or force you need to dry a car after washing. A leaf blower is a different story though and works well!

jmp09fg2
04-04-2010, 08:34 AM
I find that if you use a water blade (right after you do a final rinse) wherever you can fit it, and then follow up with the shop vac and a guzzler to get between panels, mirrors, gas cover, windows.....so on and so forth, you will have one dry car. This is just my technique. Also, check out lowes. I picked up a 5.5 hp 5 gal vac not to long ago for under eighty dollars. Seems to work just fine, and it fits everywhere.

Wax Gorilla
04-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Typically the Filter is 10 Microns on a shop vac. Human hair is about 9 microns.

DARK HORSE
04-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Thinking about buying a Rigid Wet/Dry/Blower Vac from Craigslist.

Assuming the filter is fairly clean and I buy a new hose dedicated to blowing ONLY...

Do you think it would be safe to blow air onto a freshly washed car?

If not, do you think buying one of the stronger HEPA filters would help?

Just my opinion; but I would not use something to blow air across my paint that also sucks in dirt. What if some microscopic particles get blown back out? There are a lot of subsystem components in a vac and blow where particles can hide and dislodge later. I use a dedicated leaf blower that gets used for nothing except my vehicles. I store it in the house and I'm very careful to keep the area around the impeller (air intake) from being exposed to dirt or debris (I set it on a clean towel). I always let it run for several seconds before I aim it at the car. Always dry the vehicle from top to bottom and front to back. Be careful not to angle the blower down towards the ground or you may make a mess and have to start over. The leaf blower is great for getting water out of crevices that if not removed will come out and water spot later. I find the best method for me is to first go over the entire car with my leaf blower paying special attention to crevices, trim, mirrors, windows, badges, lights and tail lights, wheels, etc. (the places water likes to hide). Follow that up by going around the car with a high quality waffle weave MF and a good QD (gentley blot). FK-425 works great as it will remove any water spots and has a lot of lubricants to help aid in preventing micro-scratching. (Some particulate contaminants including rust, sediment, scale, and dirt can measure as small as 0.2um)

Typically the Filter is 10 Microns on a shop vac. Human hair is about 9 microns.

Actually the thickness of human hair varies significantly. Factors such as color (light/dark), coarseness, race, point of orgin, and other factors definitely play a role in overall average diameter. However, average diameter of human hair is normally between 40-60 microns

CEE DOG
04-04-2010, 11:34 AM
I have that big Rigid vac. Very good vacuum, powerfull. I agree with Tad, I wouldn't use the vac for blowing. At DF I got to use the Metro Air Force Blaster. It blows clean warm air and has (2) 4hp motors that can be turned on/off independently. The price is really up there which has stopped me from purchasing it so far but it sure is nice! Right now I use the Air compressor to get in all the nooks.

jernal024
04-04-2010, 11:46 AM
I would not use something to blow air across my paint that also sucks in dirt. What if some microscopic particles get blown back out? There are a lot of subsystem components in a vac and blow where particles can hide and dislodge later.

From what others are saying above. I think, if I have a hose dedicated to blowing and a good, clean filter it sounds like I should be okay.

I do like the idea of a leaf blower though.

Maybe I can test the wet/dry vac by placing a dryer sheey in front of the nozzle and see if any dust is produced on the sheet.

autodromo
04-04-2010, 11:57 AM
I think by the time you get a new hose and a better filter it will be the same price if not cheaper to get a leaf blower. I know B&D and toro both make ones for about 30-35.

jernal024
04-04-2010, 12:10 PM
At DF I got to use the Metro Air Force Blaster. It blows clean warm air and has (2) 4hp motors that can be turned on/off independently. The price is really up there which has stopped me from purchasing it so far but it sure is nice! Right now I use the Air compressor to get in all the nooks.

Yeah, I would LOVE to have an Air Force Blaster,but I'm not a professional and I just can't justify spending the money on it.

Do you think the Metro Vac and Blo would also blow particles all over the paint?