PDA

View Full Version : Help...Rookie Question

NYC-Style
04-03-2010, 01:00 PM
I'm looking to purchase my first buffer...I've shortened my list to the porter cable 7424xp...Griots 6 " Random Orbital and Meguiars G110v2. I have zero prior experience...I've always taken the vette to a detailer. I have a Black '04 Solara and an '07 Vette. My goal is to be able to maintain my vette in car show quality...the Solara would actually be my test vehicle to hone my skills...but I'm not looking to ruin it either. Any recommendations you could provide would be most helpful...I'm looking at the free shipping from AG...so I hope to be able to order within the next 24 hours. Thanks again...I'm a rookie so sorry if this has already been beaten to death...Feed back please

snowking724
04-03-2010, 04:24 PM
i've only used the pc but it was easy to work with and i achieved great results on my f150 and my gf's fusion.

Laura
04-03-2010, 05:22 PM
There is a ton of information on the forum about each of these. I have the pc and haven't had any problems with it, but I'm still learning how to use it. I recommend searching and reading up on each one, then choosing which seems to match your situation and preference best.

jmp09fg2
04-03-2010, 07:28 PM
First of all, Welcome!

Secondly, I have used both the Griot's and the Porter Cable and find that the Porter Cable doesn't come anywhere close to the Griot's. Also, through trial and error (more trial, less error), Adam (O.C. Detailing) and I have found that the Griot's with 5.5in pads is just an amazing machine. Vibration is cut in half, as well as time to correct compared to the larger 6.5in and the results are just phenominal. However, a 6.5in pad has advantages when it comes to covering a lot of real estate at one time (sealing/waxing). This isn't to say this is what you should do, but since you want to keep your vette looking show car ready, you probably want the Griot's.

Hope this helps,
Jonathan

Rsurfer
04-03-2010, 07:55 PM
Get the Griot, but get 5.5" flat pads and a 5" backing plate. You may also want some 4" pads with a 3.5" backing plate for tight areas. They are other hi tech pads, but the LC flat pads will get you started.

jmp09fg2
04-03-2010, 07:59 PM
:iagree:

BUT, be careful with the smaller pads. The housing on the Griot's is bigger than the Porter Cable making it easier scratch something if you are polishing a weird angle. When I buy a Griot's later, my Porter cable will be left for small pads only.

O.C.Detailing
04-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Get the Griot, but get 5.5" flat pads and a 5" backing plate. You may also want some 4" pads with a 3.5" backing plate for tight areas. They are other hi tech pads, but the LC flat pads will get you started.

:iagree: My next order is going to be the LC Flat pads. I love the CCS pads, but I'd like to see what kind of results I can get with the flat pads. As Jonathan said though too, the housing in the Griot's is bigger than the PC and when you put the 3" BP on it, the housing will be bigger than the backing plate. The 4" pads should be the same size. DEFINITELY go with the Griot's as you can always work at slower speeds until you get the hang of working with a DA, but you can't go faster, once you get the technique down, if you buy a PC. The PC on speed 6 is like my Griot's on speed 3 as a reference. Some will disagree, but this is after using them side-by-side.

Rsurfer
04-03-2010, 08:09 PM
:iagree:

BUT, be careful with the smaller pads. The housing on the Griot's is bigger than the Porter Cable making it easier scratch something if you are polishing a weird angle. When I buy a Griot's later, my Porter cable will be left for small pads only.
Your correct and that's why I have the mini Griot.

jmp09fg2
04-03-2010, 08:14 PM
That too! :)

5.4 Shelby
04-03-2010, 09:28 PM
I agree w all the above regarding the Griots. Great machine. Also good pad recommendations. I have the luxury of having an old Porter Cable that I kept for 4 in pads and use my GG for 5.5 pads.

Good idea to practice on your Solara. Keep in mind that the paint on the Solara is likely going to be different than that of the Vette. So, as always, do a test spot to begin with and start with the least aggressive polish/pad and work up to the more aggressive if needed.