PDA

View Full Version : what to charge a friend? (sorta a long read)

Chevyfanaddict
04-03-2010, 01:40 AM
So i am defiitely no professional and I do not do this on a regular basis for money but, lately I have had some of my friends and aquaintences hit me up for a detail job after seeing the condition of my personal rides. I have been toying around with the thought of doing a couple for some of my closest friends first to see how it goes and take it from there to see if there is more of a market out there for my services. I dont plan on doing anything on a grand scale but maybe just a word of mouth side business based on my "reputation."

Anyway, my main question here is about one of my closest friends. He has a BLACK '05 Cadillac CTS-V that is his daily driver and it is absolutely hammered. Severe spider webbing, oxidation, rids, door dings and ive never even seen a coat of turtle wax go onto the finish in three years. He is a car guy, but definitely puts more focus into the mechanical performance rather than the apperance. He also happens to be my neighbor and I have seen his car washing skills, or lack there of and honestly some of his washing practices make me cringe. He wants me to do his car and I wouldnt mind because its a nice car and I simply cant stand seeing a nice car go hell. I am just not sure what I should charge him or to what extent to take the correction process to. I dont want to waste my time if he is just going to wash it with Dawn dish soap and a muddy greasy brush that is used to wash constrution equipment (litteraly) and then not even bother to dry it.

What do some of you think I should do here? Go all out and get it the best I can pulling out all the tricks to get to the absolute best condition I can or just go kinda easy with a quick claybar and an AIO? Should I charge him for some of the products I use or need to get to do the job such as the clay, polish/compund, and pads? Honestly, I dont want to use the same stuff I use on my car on his so I was thinking I might purchase some "not my car pads" and I dont actually have any AIO products in my collection yet.

detailjohn
04-03-2010, 01:47 AM
I will tell you that an AIO won't do much on hard GM clearcoat. I would honestly recommend to your friend to take it to a reputable shop and spend $400-500 for a detail, or you can spend that amount on products here at Autogeek and do the job yourself. You give a man a fish and he can eat for a week, you teach a man to fish and he will eat for life. OR you can polish the car with AIO, but definitely make sure he know what the expectations will be, SHINY, that's it..... Best of luck.

John

PAR Detailing
04-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Unless he is dying to have every swirl out of his car (My guess is he doesnt care or notice) dont waste your time. You will put countless hrs in correcting his paint only to have him put it back in the same condition. I would do a one step buff with an AIO my personal favorite is Megs D151. To him it will look amazing. I would add up the cost of the products you want from AG for "customer cars" and charge him that if it sounds reasonable. You are looking at give or take $100 for clay, 6pack of 6.5 pads (cheaper if you use smaller) and D151.

Whatever you decide best of luck to you,

Jon

O.C.Detailing
04-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Well, if I were you, I'd do the full-on whammy on his caddy. Show him how much labor goes into getting it right, then teach him the RIGHT way to take care of his paint to keep it nice for a very long time. For my buddies, I do give the buddy-discount which is usually about 30-40% less than I charge regular customers, but I still charge them based on the condition of the car.

I posted a 2007 Range Rover HSE Sport here that is owned by someone I've been close friends with for 13 years now, but I still charged him $200 just for the correction work that needed to be done to fix the problems induced by another local car wash here in town.

Fix it to the best of your abilities then pass some "cheap" knowledge onto him on how to maintain the work you did as long as possible. It really doesn't take much longer to do the 2-bucket method than it does to use a crusty brush on a car like a CTS-V. He'll need 2 5-gallon buckets, a quality wash mitt that NEVER touches the ground and decent car wash/shampoo. And get him to buy a decent MF drying towel or an absorber. Good luck.

SATMAN40
04-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Work up a product order, and let him buy them include everything, towels pads, and tell him you will show him how to use them.

Let him show he value's the work, and cares, if you'd like to share the time.

tuscarora dave
04-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Here's my thought, Do a full test panel. Say maybe one front fender, Work it to the best of your ability including the application of the LSP. Stop there and tell him that you will teach him how to finish the car once he purchases his own gear and products. He will save big money in the long run and you will save the headache of him wanting you to maintain it all the time for "the friend rate". And in the meantime until he places his order and does the job with your guidance. he will drive it around telling his other friends "look at what my buddy did, he's gonna teach me to do the rest of the car". This will help you with the word of mouth that you are seeking. Win Win situation in my oppinion. Good luck.

Wax Gorilla
04-03-2010, 04:02 PM
I have a flat fee for friends with Dailey Drivers in similar condition to what you noted. It is $300 plus $60 dollars for every hour over five.
This clears out most of the friends vehicles and only keeps the serious ones in line.

tuscarora dave
04-03-2010, 04:11 PM
I have a flat fee for friends with Dailey Drivers in similar condition to what you noted. It is $300 plus $60 dollars for every hour over five.
This clears out most of the friends vehicles and only keeps the serious ones in line.
That is the best idea I have heard to date on the subject. On the other hand the real friends I have wouldn't ask me to do it for free or even cheap, but some did trust me to do thier cars for practice earlier on and those are the friends that I take care of. Whether you have just won the lottery or are a great detailer, fair weather friends come out of the woodwork.

A4 1.8tqm
04-03-2010, 04:32 PM
What do some of you think I should do here? Go all out and get it the best I can pulling out all the tricks to get to the absolute best condition I can or just go kinda easy with a quick clay bar and an AIO? Should I charge him for some of the products I use or need to get to do the job such as the clay, polish/compound, and pads? Honestly, I dont want to use the same stuff I use on my car on his so I was thinking I might purchase some "not my car pads".

LOL I agree with the red quote, I used my LC blue wash sponges on someone else's nasty car and they got permanently stained a dirty brown. :mad: If I were you I would use the pads you have now and keep the new ones for yourself!

I say you give him a good explanation of what you can achieve with the different steps of polishing. If you can't convince him to get a full correction and he knows he won't properly maintain your work, he will likely go for the one step polish, which won't get out all the swirls but the car will look nice and glossy, still a vast improvement. If so, Charge him $100 (or what ever you think is fair) and buy some new stuff. Since your not a professional trying to make a "flawless showcar" reputation for yourself, it's ok to leave some flaws behind. You have to evaluate your customer, I don't know him. :xyxthumbs:

snowking724
04-03-2010, 05:05 PM
for my first paid job i'm charging a good friend $60. i told him i prob under bid but just to get started it sounded ok. i plan on washing,claying and klasse aio and can hopefully be gone in 3 hrs. i feel $100 or so would be more like it for those steps but it's almost for fun seeing as it will be my 3rd car.

Chevyfanaddict
04-04-2010, 07:16 PM
thank you for all the eplies everybody. Its starting to help me come up with a ballpark figure in my head which is kinda what I was looking for. I think I will charge him $200 plus some suplies that I will need like pads and clay, maybe even some Nattys blue since his car is Black and I dont have any yet. I think I will go ahead and just go for a full correction if for nothing else than to hone my skills, I will look at it from a challenge standpoint and see how well I can do making a caddi look like a caddi should. Im gonna go with the M105/205 combo starting with a yellow CCS pad (that I need to buy since I dont have any yet) then work my way down to the M105 on the orange pad and yada yada yada.

Fly bye
04-04-2010, 07:59 PM
$200 plus cost' for supplies that will be used over & over, in order to "hone" your skills is, I think, a little steep in my opinion

A4 1.8tqm
04-05-2010, 04:14 AM
I think I will go ahead and just go for a full correction if for nothing else than to hone my skills, I will look at it from a challenge standpoint and see how well I can do making a caddi look like a caddi should

That's what I like to hear, no half-assin. :props:

Be sure to do a thorough job taping up trim etc., it's well worth the effort.