PDA

View Full Version : "Spot" Buffing - Would you?

Pages : [1] 2

rwright
04-02-2010, 02:42 PM
So I stopped by a little used car lot close to my house the other day looking for a beater to drive to work, 150 mile one way trip. I told the guy I was looking for something to carry detail supplies and that was some kind of trigger to him. We talk a little about detailing, even though I was looking for a car, and he takes my name and number and says let's see some before and after pictures when you have time. Well about 15 minutes later my phone rings and the salesman talked to the owner and wants me to pick up one of their trucks to see my work. If the owner likes it then I can have all their "buffing" jobs. At this point I'm so excited that I called Meghan for assistance and later called Detail Dave for advice, thanks by the way to both of you! I drive down to assess the paint on this truck and it's hammered. I mean it's full of scratches that are way beyond touch up paint.

Well a couple days have passed now and I called back to make arrangements to pick up the truck on my way home and starting drilling the salesman about the job. Come to find out the owner wants me to do the whole truck for his assessment but only wants me to do spot repairs on future cars. He also stated that the owner is a major penny pincher and wants the job for nothing to maximize his profit. So my question is this, would you even consider doing spot repairs only and not a whole vehicle? I'm not in this for the money as I have a full time day job and I don't want to be known as a spot repair detailer. Thanks for reading my novel and please offer feedback.

Richard

Dubbin1
04-02-2010, 02:50 PM
I wouldn't do it, that's YOUR name behind those jobs. Plus if the guy doesn't want to pay much then its not even worth the time in messing with it.

JohnnyC
04-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Dear spot repair detailer, Oh sorry DON'T DO IT!!!!!

Matt S.
04-02-2010, 03:15 PM
I'd pass.

C. Charles Hahn
04-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Turn and run.... fast.

O.C.Detailing
04-02-2010, 04:21 PM
I'd pass as well...

A4 1.8tqm
04-02-2010, 04:39 PM
I'm confused, the owner wants you to correct an entire truck for free so he can "assess" your skills? Then if he approves he would want you to do spot repair on the cars in his lot for [next to] nothing? Even if the pay was good, working for a guy like that can only bring you headaches. I can see the help wanted ad now..."Major penny pincher looking for expert detailer to work hard for cheap" Ask him to delete your phone number and forget your name.

Or flip the deal on him and offer to do a LITTLE work in a straight up trade for a car. See how he likes getting offered a crappy deal :D

5.4 Shelby
04-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Do the whole truck and impress him. See where it takes you. Make him want your services and then maybe he will open up a little and have you do whole cars. Maybe he is just starting the negotiations. Remember, this is a car dealer. They are always working deals. If he proves to be a cheap spot repair only guy, then tell him no thanks.

tuscarora dave
04-02-2010, 05:39 PM
I have some really good professional relationships with business owners where I was first warned the same type of warning by one of his employees. It turned out that the warnings I got from the employees were just that the business owner expected the employee to do their job and do it well. Succesful used car dealers buy low and sell high. That would look to most like being a cheapskate but it is just good business.

I personally would do the detail but not for free. I would show him some before and afters and find out what he normally pays for a detail and do the first one for that price. After that I would quote him an hourly rate to do spot buffing and just say no if we couldn't come to some agreement. There is a reason that people get payed what they get payed.

JohnnyC
04-02-2010, 05:58 PM
I say do some spot repair first then if he likes it then do his truck for a set price and if he doesn't like that then see ya !! Car dealers are all the same they lie,I should know my brother in-law is one and i wouldn't trust him:bash:

C. Charles Hahn
04-02-2010, 06:44 PM
I say do some spot repair first then if he likes it then do his truck for a set price and if he doesn't like that then see ya !! Car dealers are all the same they lie,I should know my brother in-law is one and i wouldn't trust him:bash:

I would agree -- if you want to do work for this guy, don't just do a whole vehicle for free to start. The absolute MOST I will do for anyone is a single test panel on their vehicle -- usually the top of the trunk lid. If they want more, they pay up an acceptable amount or I walk.

JohnnyC
04-02-2010, 07:09 PM
I would agree -- if you want to do work for this guy, don't just do a whole vehicle for free to start. The absolute MOST I will do for anyone is a single test panel on their vehicle -- usually the top of the trunk lid. If they want more, they pay up an acceptable amount or I walk.

You got that :iagree: I wouldn't waste my time and money on some guy who's looking for a freebee. That's what it sounds like to me

CEE DOG
04-02-2010, 07:59 PM
I say go for it if you have the time. If the time is too valuable then get some money for it. I think he should cough up some dough for your hard work. It's all dependant on how much time you have.

They are not all the same. Most of them, yes suck big time! All of any "group" is not the same...

JohnnyC
04-02-2010, 08:05 PM
I say go for it if you have the time. If the time is too valuable then get some money for it. I think he should cough up some dough for your hard work. It's all dependant on how much time you have.

They are not all the same. Most of them, yes suck big time! All of any "group" is not the same...

Pretty darn close. When have you ever come across one that isn't in it for them self. :dunno:

DARK HORSE
04-02-2010, 08:44 PM
I agree with Corey, not all of any one group of people are all the same. Not fair to say ALL are the same. I have not met ALL of them...However, Richard I would be very cautious of this proposed deal. Show him some pictures of your work, talk to him and follow your instincts. But do not do anything for free, except a test panel (like the trunk lid). If he isn't willing to pay you a fair price for quality work, walk w/o hesitation.