PDA

View Full Version : 1982 benz

THE DETAIL DEN
04-02-2010, 05:58 AM
detailing a 1982 tan metalic benz some strange scratchs on it never seen this before do not want to break through the clear but it is very hard to get them out when i compound and check the angles with light the look like they are gone but with another check in different direction they are still there should i just keep slowly working the clear and get as much out as i can with out going through it or have you seen this problem before with this type of clearcoat.

O.C.Detailing
04-02-2010, 06:22 AM
A Mercedes that old MAY have single stage paint, or may have HAD it. You might be working with a repaint. Do you see color on the pad after you buff it a bit? If not, you have base/clear.

There are some scratches that are just too deep to attempt to remove without a paint depth gauge. If they're hard to see without finding all of the angles where you can actually see them, then I'd just let them be unless they're everywhere. I don't know if I could just leave a bunch of scratches unless I'd tried everything I knew to get them out.

What kind of machine are you using, if any, and which products?

Wax Gorilla
04-02-2010, 08:20 AM
That year is right on the Bubble of Single Stage. Call a good quality paint shop in your area that specializes in European Cars and consult with them. Being from 1982 it may also have been reapinted so check for that also.

THE DETAIL DEN
04-03-2010, 06:37 AM
the benz has base coat clear coat and i'am using rotary buffer i started with megs 105 and it was taking so long just to make a dent i had to switch to a heavier compound and now i just need to be real careful not to burn through clearcoat but seems to be working when i'am done with that stage i will switch to orbital and the megs 205 for a light buff out thanks for your help everyone