PDA

View Full Version : When do you use Meg's ColorX?

Pages : [1] 2

mcpp66
04-01-2010, 11:55 PM
When in the cleaning/sealing process do you use ColorX if you want to remove oxidation? After you wash the car and before paint correction? After paint correction? After claying? Where does it fit in?

Lasthope05
04-02-2010, 12:02 AM
The only place where its useful is a prewax cleaner for when you want to put on a fresh coat w/o doing any correction work. Dont need it for anything else. You dont use it before or after polishing.

Wax Gorilla
04-02-2010, 04:30 AM
I Don't ! Meg's has several other better choices for this removal process. After you was the car start with a good clay treatment and then follow the processes outlined in other post on this Forum to move from cleaning to polishing to sealent and wax.

O.C.Detailing
04-02-2010, 06:24 AM
Yeah, colorX is a filler wax. Avoid it. Stick with SwirlX, Ultimate Compound and any of the other products that Meguiar's makes other than ColorX.

redg35
04-02-2010, 06:10 PM
I dont use it for anything.

Grizzly
04-02-2010, 06:26 PM
The only place where its useful is a prewax cleaner for when you want to put on a fresh coat w/o doing any correction work. Dont need it for anything else. You dont use it before or after polishing.

Really?

I think it is can be useful for other things besides a pre wax cleaner. It can remove heavy oxidation by hand and machine.

I Don't ! Meg's has several other better choices for this removal process. After you was the car start with a good clay treatment and then follow the processes outlined in other post on this Forum to move from cleaning to polishing to sealent and wax.

ColorX is targeted as a consumer product for removing light swirls and scratches and can remove moderate to heavy oxidation. M66 and D151 are not really a better choice, but more aggressive and can be bought in a larger size.

Yeah, colorX is a filler wax. Avoid it. Stick with SwirlX, Ultimate Compound and any of the other products that Meguiar's makes other than ColorX.

Seriously?

You cannot compare SwirlX and Ultimate Compound to ColorX. You are comparing apples to oranges.

You are incorrect by stating it is merely a filler wax. It can do much more than that.

Lasthope05
04-03-2010, 12:20 AM
Really?

I think it is can be useful for other things besides a pre wax cleaner. It can remove heavy oxidation by hand and machine.

ColorX is targeted as a consumer product for removing light swirls and scratches and can remove moderate to heavy oxidation. M66 and D151 are not really a better choice, but more aggressive and can be bought in a larger size.

Seriously?

You cannot compare SwirlX and Ultimate Compound to ColorX. You are comparing apples to oranges.

You are incorrect by stating it is merely a filler wax. It can do much more than that.

Colorx cannot remove moderate or heavy oxidation. It is a light cleaner wax product. Now it might remove light oxidation on soft single stage paint but then again what light polish wouldnt. It can also remove very light swirling but it will also fill in light swirls also with its wax. You have to remember, waxes are naturally fillers.

akimel
04-03-2010, 08:56 AM
I have found ColorX to be a very useful product. When applied with a DA and polishing pad, it removes oxidation, stains, and light swirls, leaving behind a layer of protection. Even when applied by hand, it will effectively clean the paint surface. I can't think of a better consumer AIO that is readily available at the local auto stores.

ColorX is a good product to recommend to the average non-detailing Joe who wants to keep his car looking good, yet who will never invest in a polisher or expensive detailing products. It's priced well, it's readily available, it's extremely easy to apply and remove, and it does its job. For uniform coverage and improved protection, I would top it with one's preferred wax/sealant. ColorX works well in a simple wax & wax regimen, such as described in this article: Your Daily Driver (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29505).

Jossy92
04-03-2010, 09:33 AM
I can't think of a better consumer AIO ...
ColorX works well in a simple wax & wax regimen.....Your Daily Driver (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29505).

Gonna try this regimen out on some of my friend's cars.

What top coat sealers work best: non-cleaning?

akimel
04-03-2010, 09:42 AM
Gonna try this regimen out on some of my friend's cars.

What top coat sealers work best: non-cleaning?

Take your choice. Lots of good waxes out there. Lots of good waxes sold by AutoGeek. It all depends on how much money you're willing to spend and whether you prefer a carnauba or synthetic sealant. For a durable protectant, I'd recommend Collinite 845 (http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-insulator-wax-845.html)--easy to apply and remove, looks great, provides outstanding, durable protection, economically priced.

Grizzly
04-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Colorx cannot remove moderate or heavy oxidation. It is a light cleaner wax product. Now it might remove light oxidation on soft single stage paint but then again what light polish wouldnt. It can also remove very light swirling but it will also fill in light swirls also with its wax. You have to remember, waxes are naturally fillers.

Have you ever used the product on moderate to heavy oxidation? I have been using it as long as it has been on the market. I have probably used it to remove moderate to heavy oxidation over a hundred times.

By the way, Mike Phillips has stated a number of times it is a strong cleaner wax, not a light one.

Here is a good example of what it can do:

1986 Ford Bronco II - Extreme Makeover (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88&highlight=Mike+Phillips+Bronco)

O.C.Detailing
04-03-2010, 10:05 AM
I stand by what I said. It's a filler wax. I do NOT use fillers of any sort as I'd rather fix problems than cover them up. That's not to bash those who don't mind hiding problems. Shoot, I know how long it takes to actually correct clearcoat issues, so if you're the average consumer who doesn't want to hire a detailer to fix their paint or invest in the products so they can do it themselves, then by all means, buy a filler wax and go to town.

As a professional though, I won't use something like colorX on my customers cars. Just my personal decision as, like I said, I like to fix problems, not cover them up. To each his own though. ;)

Grizzly
04-03-2010, 10:11 AM
I stand by what I said. It's a filler wax. I do NOT use fillers of any sort as I'd rather fix problems than cover them up. That's not to bash those who don't mind hiding problems. Shoot, I know how long it takes to actually correct clearcoat issues, so if you're the average consumer who doesn't want to hire a detailer to fix their paint or invest in the products so they can do it themselves, then by all means, buy a filler wax and go to town.

As a professional though, I won't use something like colorX on my customers cars. Just my personal decision as, like I said, I like to fix problems, not cover them up. To each his own though. ;)

It can fix problems.

I will say that since it does contain wax that it will lightly fill. But it corrects more than it fills. Its not a filler wax.

Have you ever used the product?

Here proof that it can remove defects:

1-Step vs 3-Steps (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/20573-1-step-vs-3-steps.html?highlight=ColorX)

O.C.Detailing
04-03-2010, 10:47 AM
I didn't say it doesn't fix problems at all, but it IS a filler wax as is proven by the chemical stripping portions of the thread you linked. After chemically stripping the ColorX portion of the hood he did in that post, MOST of the swirls came right back. Anyone with decent vision can see that.

Shoot, I'm not arguing that it has correction power, but then again, I think hand-lotion on the right applicator used with enough "passion" will correct paint in the hands of the right detailer.

He asked when you would use ColorX and my response is a resounding never. It has filling properties and I won't use it, but that's my own personal choice. That doesn't mean he has to follow me because it's my choice, right? It's all good man. To each his own. I won't use it. There are much better products out there than ColorX, but if it's convenient and you get the results you want from using it, then go for it! Who's to stop you? ;)

EDIT: One thing I do want to say though is thank you for linking those articles. heh Had me rethinking for a minute until I saw the chemically stripped areas. They were very insightful and a nice read. :D

Lasthope05
04-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Have you ever used the product on moderate to heavy oxidation? I have been using it as long as it has been on the market. I have probably used it to remove moderate to heavy oxidation over a hundred times.

By the way, Mike Phillips has stated a number of times it is a strong cleaner wax, not a light one.

Here is a good example of what it can do:

1986 Ford Bronco II - Extreme Makeover (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88&highlight=Mike+Phillips+Bronco)

Yes I have tried it and did not produce the results I was looking for. I have tired tons and tons of different products on the market. In the thread you posted Mike was working on a SS paint. SS paints are notoriously soft and easy to correct with even the lightest polish.