PDA

View Full Version : Need help with polish choice

Nuke33
04-01-2010, 09:48 PM
I have been using poorboys polish with carnubia and I like it as a good way to bring back a little shine quickly. I see a lot of people using the menzerna polishes. I want to try something different would this product do the same thing for me? If so what one would work the best (using PC with orange / White pads) I typical do not go to remove all the swirls but to just remove the grim and such from the paint.

Thanks
Ryan

5.4 Shelby
04-01-2010, 10:05 PM
I have not used any Menz polishes yet. I am such a huge fan of the Megs 105/205 or even the Megs Ultimate Compound/SwirlX, that I have not gotten anything else. You might try these sometime. If just cleaning up the paint, the SwX may be all you need. If that is all yo are doing, the orange pads are probably overkill. They are designed to cut and level swirls and minor scratches. UC and SwX are available at Walmarts and local auto stores.

I will eventually try the Menz, until then, I recommend the Megs.

Nuke33
04-01-2010, 10:30 PM
How does it relate to PB polish with carb in cutting power? Can I get away with this as a one step polish with a oc and a LC white pad?

Nuke33
04-01-2010, 10:50 PM
One question for a good one step polish what do you recommend: Pb Polish with carb or XMT 360 Or Mez Power Polish?

PAR Detailing
04-02-2010, 12:53 AM
One question for a good one step polish what do you recommend: Pb Polish with carb or XMT 360 Or Mez Power Polish?

I havent used any of those but I use Megs D151 and love it. If you are looking for something that performs great and is cheap get it

loco
04-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Menzerna Power Finish is a very good one step polish. They recommend if you have a very dark color, you should step down to something like Menz 85RD. I used Power Finish on my black car today and it left a very nice finish. I still used the 85RD afterwards, but the improvement wasn't all that drastic.

termigator
04-03-2010, 07:33 PM
I've been a huge fan of Menzerna polishes since the days when Intensive Polish and Final Polish II were the "IN" polishes. My current favorite polish right now is Super Finish (PO106fa). It has very good cutting power and finishes down really nice. Personally, I can't tell the difference in finish between PO106fa and PO85rd, but it definitely has more cut.
When I talked to the Menzerna rep. at DF 5, he told me PO160fa is supposed to finish down just as well as PO85rd, but since it has more of the same abrasives found in PO85rd, it is a lot more effective at removing defects.
From my own experiences, Power Finish has more cut than Super Finish, but it doesn't finish down quite as well. I use Power Finish for light colored cars (I can't see the haze Power Finish leaves on light colored cars) and Super Finish on my dark cars.
I've used both Power Finish and Super Finish with the white LC polishing pads. I reserve the orange cutting pads for M105 & UC.
I've used M205 and it works well, but I personally find Super Finish easier to work with. I've had a hard time getting M205 to finish down as well as Super Finish.
I've used Poorboys' SSR1 (old formula) once and it worked well, but it didn't have the same cut as Super Finish. I also have SSR2 (old formula), but I haven't used it yet. I would like to know how SSR2 compares to Power Finish and Super Finish.