PDA

View Full Version : Shelby GT500 with 85 to 120 µm... What to do

Xcessiv
04-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Hello guys,

I'm preparing a GT500 tonight and did some readings. On the upper sections (hood, trunk, upper area of the doors/fenders), I see 110-120 µm. On the other hand, when going down, I see as low as 85-90 µm on some areas.

My initial plan was to use the following combo on the entire car:
- Flex 3401 at speed 5
- Orange CCS pad
- M105

But I'm scared of these numbers. My new plan is to use:
- Flex 3401 at speed 5
- Orange CCS pad
- M105
on the areas higher than 110 and:
- Flex 3401 at speed 4.5
- White CCS pad
- Menzerna SIP
on the other areas.

What do you think? I've been working on Mustangs for quite a while and usually see 120-140. This specific Shelby either has some special paint (Shelby/SVT division?) or has been polished quite a few times before. :(

O.C.Detailing
04-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Be careful, use your best judgement and always go the least aggresive method that gives you the results you're satisfied with, even if it's not perfect.

5.4 Shelby
04-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Hello guys,

I'm preparing a GT500 tonight and did some readings. On the upper sections (hood, trunk, upper area of the doors/fenders), I see 110-120 µm. On the other hand, when going down, I see as low as 85-90 µm on some areas.

My initial plan was to use the following combo on the entire car:
- Flex 3401 at speed 5
- Orange CCS pad
- M105

But I'm scared of these numbers. My new plan is to use:
- Flex 3401 at speed 5
- Orange CCS pad
- M105
on the areas higher than 110 and:
- Flex 3401 at speed 4.5
- White CCS pad
- Menzerna SIP
on the other areas.

What do you think? I've been working on Mustangs for quite a while and usually see 120-140. This specific Shelby either has some special paint (Shelby/SVT division?) or has been polished quite a few times before. :(
:eek:

Hopefully that one is just a freak occurrence.

Paint on that car was no more special than any other Mustang unless it was a repaint. It goes down the same line as the GTs and V6s. I knew a guy at the factory and he was supposed to have mine sent through the clear booth twice to double my clear coat. I hope he did if you are getting thin readings. I really need to measure mine, but, hate to spend the money on a gauge.

Anybody near Indy that has a gauge and would be willing to let me use it???

richy
04-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Regardless of the car, if you've got sections with thin paint, you need to change what you do in those sections. Mild polish (like 85rd or similar) and mild pad. If it does not correct it, tough. Make sure your customer sees the readings and knows what you are doing. I had that happen to me on a Benz last year. The rest of the car got aggressive actions but not the thin area.

agpatel
04-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Those low areas something like 106FA on a white pad will be good enough for some correction but will not take much clear off at all. You can follow it up with a acrylic glaze to help hide some swirls, but tell the customer about this like Richy said.

Using something fine like 106FA or 85rd may not remove the swirls but will round off the edge of the swirls to make them harder to see at angles.