PDA

View Full Version : I just spent all day trying out my new toys...

jpmascaro
10-21-2006, 11:14 PM
and have some questions. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

I have a relatively new black car, and I just bought a PC 7424 and the XMT kit. I bought them to remove some water spots that wouldn't come off, to get out some minor swirl marks, and generally just to make my car shine.

1. There are (yes, still) some small scratces on the roof that look like claw marks from a cat. I tried a Lake Country orange pad with the XMT 2. That didn't work. I then tried the XMT 3 (with a clean pad). That didn't work either. I tried it again. It still didn't work, but now I have more swirl marks from the pad and polish. What happened, and how (hopefully) can I fix it? (I tried just going down to the XMT 1, and then glaze, but it's still dull and swirly.)

2. What's with all the dust? Am I using too much polish, or not enough? Am I using it too long, or not long enough?

3. Aside from the scratches on the roof, the water spots came out and the car looks clean, but still has many small fine scratches and swirl marks.

4. If the car is clean, can I just use the glaze and wax after washing, or is it necessary to always polish too? And, how often should a car be polished, as opposed to glaze and wax?

I'd appreciate it if somebody can give me some direction with the information I gave.

Sevenrd
10-22-2006, 12:43 AM
and have some questions. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

I have a relatively new black car, and I just bought a PC 7424 and the XMT kit. I bought them to remove some water spots that wouldn't come off, to get out some minor swirl marks, and generally just to make my car shine.

1. There are (yes, still) some small scratces on the roof that look like claw marks from a cat. I tried a Lake Country orange pad with the XMT 2. That didn't work. I then tried the XMT 3 (with a clean pad). That didn't work either. I tried it again. It still didn't work, but now I have more swirl marks from the pad and polish. What happened, and how (hopefully) can I fix it? (I tried just going down to the XMT 1, and then glaze, but it's still dull and swirly.)

2. What's with all the dust? Am I using too much polish, or not enough? Am I using it too long, or not long enough?

3. Aside from the scratches on the roof, the water spots came out and the car looks clean, but still has many small fine scratches and swirl marks.

4. If the car is clean, can I just use the glaze and wax after washing, or is it necessary to always polish too? And, how often should a car be polished, as opposed to glaze and wax?

I'd appreciate it if somebody can give me some direction with the information I gave.
1. If the scratches are too deep, nothing other than a repaint will completely remove them. If you run your fingernail across the scratch and it catches, chances are the scratch is too deep to polish out. Maybe wet sanding would improve it. But if it's through the clear, nothing but a repaint will fix it.

2. I haven't used the XMT line, but the SSR line dusts quite a bit. When the polish begins breaking down it begins dusting - completely normal for this polish.

3. Try using the fine polish (XMT 1?) on a polish pad. That should take care of any hazing left over from the more aggressive polish. If that doesn't take care of it, it means they weren't taken care of with the more aggressive polish. Do another pass or two with a more aggressive polish and/or pad to see if that helps.

4. Glaze any time you feel you need it. It will hide minor imperfections. Then you can top with a carnauba wax. Polish whenever the micromarring gets to the point where it's bothering you or you get tired of using a glaze to cover it up. But after polishing, make sure to put a coat of sealant and/or wax on there.

sparkie
10-22-2006, 07:00 AM
:iagree: Like Sevenrd said, do another pass or two with a more aggressive polish and/or pad to see if that helps.
It may take more then two passes. I've found XMT and Poorboys polishes do have less dust the Megs polishes.
Links to some videos
http://www.autogeek.net/xmt.html

http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/

Paintcare-n-detailing site is by blkyukon, a member of AG forum.

BILL
10-22-2006, 07:19 AM
:iagree: Like Sevenrd said, do another pass or two with a more aggressive polish and/or pad to see if that helps.
It may take more then two passes. I've found XMT and Poorboys polishes do have less dust the Megs polishes.
Links to some videos
http://www.autogeek.net/xmt.html

http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/

Paintcare-n-detailing site is by blkyukon, a member of AG forum.

I agree.....also maybe the yellow pad will help........

jpmascaro
10-22-2006, 11:19 AM
The scratches are definitely not that deep, but just real "hazy." I'm just worried that if I keep polishing its going to get worse. It sounds like you think a less abrasive polish should clear them up. Do I understand you correctly? Thanks.

justin_murphy
10-22-2006, 11:24 AM
Two things can lead to dusting.....
To much product and not lubing your pad.

Sevenrd
10-22-2006, 02:31 PM
The scratches are definitely not that deep, but just real "hazy." I'm just worried that if I keep polishing its going to get worse. It sounds like you think a less abrasive polish should clear them up. Do I understand you correctly? Thanks.

Yes. A finish polish on a white pad should take care of hazing left by a more aggressive polish/pad.