PDA

View Full Version : Wheel wells are going to be the death of me

Pages : [1] 2

Jenn1270
03-31-2010, 07:09 PM
Wheel wells kill me. I just found out that soap and wheel cleaner don't make your wheel wells clean. I washed them with a brush and everything. I went to dress them and got gunk all over me, the rag, and the applicatior I was using. I used 1:1 optibond on one side and 1:4 HD on the other and neither looked great.

So how do I go about getting them clean? Does APC+ work better? What dilution should I use?

Jenn

twistedframe
03-31-2010, 07:16 PM
They are a huge PITA. I usually use Amazing Roll Off every 3rd detail or so or ass needed. If I don't clean them perfectly Adams Undercarriage Spray does a really good job of making them look good. Oh and it just sprays on, no need to apply by hand! :xyxthumbs:

JonMiles
03-31-2010, 07:17 PM
APC+ diluted 2:1 is my go to chemical for engines and wheel wells. I just spray it on heavy, give it about 45 seconds to start working and use a boars hair, short handle brush to agitate the well. I would use a bucket of suds to dip the brush in before and during agitation then spray clean with a pressure washer or good stream of water. Then to dress the wheel wells I use megs hotshine aerosol spray so i don't have to reach so much. I have used this method on my truck after towing a boat 300 miles and the wells came clean pretty easily. You can use concentrated simple green too which is a great degreaser, just not safe for painted surfaces so be a careful.

Finemess
03-31-2010, 07:17 PM
I hit them with the PW if they are real bad. I use APC+ 4:1 and a brush the rest of the time.

Jenn1270
03-31-2010, 07:30 PM
I guess the difficulty I have is getting in the nooks and crannies under there. I really don't have the need for a PW so I will have to stick with the hose.

I use this brush http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2095_8462972 but it doesn't get everything. Are their any others?

So ARO and hot shot tire shine will be on my shopping list.

Lasthope05
03-31-2010, 07:33 PM
Once you do a DEEP cleaning of the wheel wells it will make it much easier to clean in the future. A deep cleaning would involve removing the wheels and using a petroleum product(wd-40, kerosene..etc) to dissolve all the caked in grease. The petroleum product will also dissolve any tar stuck also. Afterward clean up the residue with a degreaser and dress. The reason you use something like wd-40/kerosene first is because a degreaser usually will not have enough power to brake down and emulsify caked in grease.

Old Tiger
03-31-2010, 07:34 PM
I use Optimum Power Clean mixed 1 to 1 with water and spray on with a garden sprayer. Like John I let it dwell. use a long Mothers wheel well brush to clean. after the wash is done I apply Griots Undercarriage spray and walk away. Looks great. When my GG UC Spray is gone Im gonna try Megs Hyperdressing.because it can be diluted up to 4 to 1.

Jenn1270
03-31-2010, 07:45 PM
I use Optimum Power Clean mixed 1 to 1 with water and spray on with a garden sprayer. Like John I let it dwell. use a long Mothers wheel well brush to clean. after the wash is done I apply Griots Undercarriage spray and walk away. Looks great. When my GG UC Spray is gone Im gonna try Megs Hyperdressing.because it can be diluted up to 4 to 1.

Do you put the Undercarriage spray in a garden sprayer as well? I have some on order and have several of the sprayers from here, but can't get them to mist with thicker stuff like ASD or 1:1 optibond.

Jenn

JonMiles
03-31-2010, 08:02 PM
I guess the difficulty I have is getting in the nooks and crannies under there. I really don't have the need for a PW so I will have to stick with the hose.

I use this brush http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2095_8462972 but it doesn't get everything. Are their any others?

So ARO and hot shot tire shine will be on my shopping list.

Have you tried a short handle brush? they have a little better ability to work in tight areas. I also have one of those sonic scrubber brushes which helps more than you could imagine to get things really clean.

Jenn1270
03-31-2010, 08:18 PM
Have you tried a short handle brush? they have a little better ability to work in tight areas. I also have one of those sonic scrubber brushes which helps more than you could imagine to get things really clean.

I will head to Wally World tomorrow and pick both up. The weather has been so beautiful here it will give me an excuse to get out back and do some more work.

Jenn

WRAPT C5Z06
03-31-2010, 08:39 PM
several of the sprayers from here, but can't get them to mist with thicker stuff like ASD or 1:1 optibond.

I'm curious about sprayers that can handle thick liquid too. Anyone?

Steven C
03-31-2010, 08:43 PM
While your at Wally world p/u a cheap Toilet Brush they are bendable with stiff bristles been using one for years hell if they'll clean a tiolet they'll take care of a wheel well.

LOL Steven

Jenn1270
03-31-2010, 08:56 PM
While your at Wally world p/u a cheap Toilet Brush they are bendable with stiff bristles been using one for years hell if they'll clean a tiolet they'll take care of a wheel well.

LOL Steven

I wish I'd started this thread yesterday because I went to wally world today. Oh well. I won't complain about going again. Unfortunately I always buy WAY too much.

Short handled brush, sonic cleaner, and toilet brush? Anything else?

Steven C
03-31-2010, 09:06 PM
I always p/u a pack of cheap MF 12 for 5 bucks. Then I don't care if I trash them usually us them truck closers ,door jams ,under the hood, then I will just throw it away if gets naste.

LOL Steven

Jenn1270
03-31-2010, 09:16 PM
I always p/u a pack of cheap MF 12 for 5 bucks. Then I don't care if I trash them usually us them truck closers ,door jams ,under the hood, then I will just throw it away if gets naste.

LOL Steven

I already have about 10 million of those, but can ALWAYS use more. That makes me want to go to Sams too.....argh.....

Jenn