PDA

View Full Version : IPA to remove wax or sealant between polishes

Pages : [1] 2

jernal024
03-31-2010, 12:07 AM
I am sure, this is somewhere on the fourm,butI have searched for 30 minutes and can't find the answer.

Can IPA be used to remove sealant or wax (or both) between polishes?

If so, how? Does it need time to work?

I am trying to save some money by not purchasing paint cleanser.

Thanks

zinc02gt
03-31-2010, 03:46 AM
Yes. 91% straight. It's what I use to after claying to make sure all previous waxes/sealants are gone for sure. Works like a charm.

I found that the $0.97 spray bottles at Wal Mart that the sprayers fit right onto the 32 oz bottles of IPA. I have a 32oz hose ran through it though. I use that and spray directly to the paint let it sit for no more than 5-10 seconds then wipe away. I do at least 2 passes just for assurance.

If your thinking of using something like Swissvax Paint Cleanser, well that's a different story. you do that as a prep before waxing for bonding.

A4 1.8tqm
03-31-2010, 04:21 AM
:iagree: 91% straight, or diluted 1:1 in a cheap spray bottle. Use it after polishing to help clean up and to check your work, before sealing/waxing to prep the surface or any other time you want to be sure that your paint is absolutely free of oils and residues. As zinc said, I also will do a couple passes.

jernal024
03-31-2010, 10:29 PM
Sorry, I should have clarified better.

I am going to polish this weekend to remove imperfections.

6 months from now, if I want to remove the old wax and sealant to simply apply a fresh coat of sealant will IPA remove old wax on it's own?

Or, do I need to buy paint cleanser?

I want to remove wax or 6 months after polishing, just to apply a new coat of wax

Adam
04-01-2010, 01:58 AM
Yes, IPA will remove waxes and sealants. I also do this every six months before layering sealants and waxes again. Woot! First post! Im the MAN

O.C.Detailing
04-01-2010, 06:36 AM
You can use IPA and it's VERY cheap. I have 2 5-gallon jugs of APC concentrate though. What I've found to work very well is mix up a 4:1 dilution of APC in a pump sprayer and spray the entire car with it and let it sit for a couple of minutes. It really does work wonders on making wax and sealants go away. If you don't have a couple of 5-gallon jugs of APC concentrate sitting around though, definitely go with the IPA or you can use Mineral Spirits as well and from what I understand, it actually works better than IPA. Some people actually prefer MS to IPA. Your choice.

grambow
04-01-2010, 07:20 AM
Probably a dumb question but where do you guys usually purchase your IPA? Also, do you just a MF towel to wipe it with? Thanks.

Dubbin1
04-01-2010, 07:23 AM
Probably a dumb question but where do you guys usually purchase your IPA? Also, do you just a MF towel to wipe it with? Thanks.

You can pick it up pretty much anywhere and yes wipe it off with a mf.

Rye
04-01-2010, 09:41 AM
Sorry to be ignorant here, but what does the acronym IPA stand for, isopropyl alcohol?

mcpp66
04-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Sorry to be ignorant here, but what does the acronym IPA stand for, isopropyl alcohol?

Yes

autodromo
04-01-2010, 10:53 AM
I would look at any kind of drug store(CVS, walgreens) make sure you get 91%. some times it is a little harder find than 71%

Yes IPA= isopropyl alcohol.

jernal024
04-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Yes, IPA will remove waxes and sealants. I also do this every six months before layering sealants and waxes again. Woot! First post! Im the MAN

Adam, Does the IPA need to sit on the wax for any extended period of time, or wipe-on, wipe-off?

Also, does it work on wax any better than sealant? or vice versa?

Thx:xyxthumbs:

Rye
04-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Ah okay, I was beginning to think that I had to poor my favorite India Pale Ale all over my car.

Adam
04-01-2010, 04:51 PM
I bought my IPA from Welcome to Waxit.com.au - Australia's home of Premium Car Care Products, brands = Pinnacle, Swissvax, Zaino, Wolfgang, Poorboys, Klasse (http://www.waxit.com.au) which is the Australian distributor for this site. Crikey mate! An Aussie! :urtheman:

I'm sure you would have a more local supplier though. Jernal, I don't let it sit on the paint too long. I pretty much spray it on then wipe off with a microfibre cloth.

markm
04-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Yes. 91% straight. It's what I use to after claying to make sure all previous waxes/sealants are gone for sure. Works like a charm.

I found that the $0.97 spray bottles at Wal Mart that the sprayers fit right onto the 32 oz bottles of IPA. I have a 32oz hose ran through it though. I use that and spray directly to the paint let it sit for no more than 5-10 seconds then wipe away. I do at least 2 passes just for assurance.

If your thinking of using something like Swissvax Paint Cleanser, well that's a different story. you do that as a prep before waxing for bonding.
Good tip. You got me thinking and I found that the sprayer from Megs or Mothers QD fit too. I was pouring the IPA into a sprayer and having to label it. The sprayer directly to the IPA bottle is better.
Thanks for the inspiritation.
Mark