PDA

View Full Version : Rotary only??? 3M Ultrafina

Pages : [1] 2 3

markm
03-30-2010, 10:51 PM
Why is 3M's ultrafine polish rated to only be used with a rotary polisher? What would happen or not happen if it was used with a DA or by hand? Would a Flex at higher speed count as a rotary to apply the polish? If it is applied with a rotary will it really elimanate buffer trails? I know I could try all this and form my own opinion but I want an expert opinion.

Thanks,
Mark M.

C. Charles Hahn
03-30-2010, 11:37 PM
I've used Ultrafina with my Flex DA and it seems to do about the same as it does via rotary for me.

Of course you can't really use the 8" Ultrafina pad with it, but I've found that one of the ultra finishing pads from LC or the Meg's black finishing pad (SB 2.0) does fine.

Rsurfer
03-30-2010, 11:56 PM
I've used Ultrafina with my Flex DA and it seems to do about the same as it does via rotary for me.

Of course you can't really use the 8" Ultrafina pad with it, but I've found that one of the ultra finishing pads from LC or the Meg's black finishing pad (SB 2.0) does fine.3m makes a blue 6" pad.

Rsurfer
03-30-2010, 11:57 PM
Flex DA at 400rpm vrs. rotary at 1800 rpm is a big difference.

zinc02gt
03-31-2010, 02:59 AM
I would like to believe it has to do with the heat breaking down the polish correctly. Use Menzera P085RD for a DA. Just remember though that a rotary will finish better than a DA if done correctly.

A4 1.8tqm
03-31-2010, 04:51 AM
I'm no pro or expert by any means but...

Today I used 3M Ultrafine on a 6.5" LC Gray Flat Pad with my Flex 3401 to clean up after Menz Power Gloss on LC Cyan Hydro-Tech (great combo BTW). It may seem like a BIG gap, Power Gloss w/ Cyan HT pad to Ultrafine w/ Gray pad, but it worked wonderfully. The Ultrafine gave the best results I could imagine to be possible with a fine polish and a foam pad. High gloss, excellent clarity (flake really pops!) and totally free of marring. I'll be doing a write up on the process I did soon. Even though a rotary has much higher rpm's, I really don't think that the Flex is "unable" to sufficiently work 3M Ultrafine to a flawless finish, I mean, I just finished doing it. :D

Good luck with any work you do and be sure to post some pics!

markm
03-31-2010, 08:58 AM
I guess I will just have to try it in a real situation. I will make several test panels on a swirled out black panel and see if I can see results. I'm sure there are still others that have tried it. Thanks for the responses.

Mark

RaskyR1
03-31-2010, 08:59 AM
There is a 3M video that talks about UF and how it needs to be worked above 1500 rpm's to get the best results. It may work pretty good with a DA, but the full potential is relieved when used with a rotary. :props:

I'll try and find the video...

RaskyR1
03-31-2010, 09:00 AM
I guess I will just have to try it in a real situation. I will make several test panels on a swirled out black panel and see if I can see results. I'm sure there are still others that have tried it. Thanks for the responses.

Mark

The paint should already be 99% swirl free before you go to use UF. ;)

RaskyR1
03-31-2010, 09:04 AM
3M Ultrafina video (http://shows.implex.tv/3MTV/Root/AAD/2638/preflight.htm?AutoLoginComplete=1)

Matt S.
03-31-2010, 09:32 AM
I've used it with both. There is nothing wrong with using Ultrafine with a 3401. Even on the softest paints, it still leaves an awesome finish.

DLB
03-31-2010, 10:00 AM
Just remember though that a rotary will finish better than a DA if done correctly.
THIS!
Using the Menz or the Ultrafina you can really get a dramatic finish with a rotary. Not saying that it CAN'T be achieved with a DA, but practice your rotary technique and you'll get a better finish usually.

Also like Rasky said though - you should already be "99% correct" before using one of these.

DLB

ASPHALT ROCKET
03-31-2010, 12:13 PM
UF works a lot better with a rotary, it just doesn't play well with a da. Also like Rasky and DLB have said with UF you want the finish dam near perfect before using UF or it will fill. If you do a big jump like I have read either on this thread or another someone skipping a step and said it looked good, it without a doubt filled.

Harleyguy
03-31-2010, 01:31 PM
UF works a lot better with a rotary, it just doesn't play well with a da. Also like Rasky and DLB have said with UF you want the finish dam near perfect before using UF or it will fill. If you do a big jump like I have read either on this thread or another someone skipping a step and said it looked good, it without a doubt filled.And sometimes it doesn't like to play at all LOL and you need to use something like 85RD

A4 1.8tqm
03-31-2010, 02:30 PM
I have to do some up close inspecting in full sun and some IPA wipe downs to the test spot I'm working, but I'm pretty confident that Ultrafine DID NOT just fill. I don't doubt that you guy's know Ultrafine better than me, I'm just going off what I have experienced (most of which was yesterday). I'll thoroughly check my work and report back to this thread later today. :xyxthumbs: