PDA

View Full Version : Detailfest 2010 --- A Retrospect

ScottB
03-30-2010, 05:09 PM
Ok it has taken a couple days just to get settled back to normalcy after only one day of DF. I just cannot imagine that Jason and Meghan need less than a week to recoup from this thing its just so darn big and the time moves quickly. I do however wish for that 2nd day and next year staying local versus travel back/forth.

Wells heres my take for what its worth .... starting at 6am upon arrival at Autogeek (sure we blew by the exit on Turnpike and didnt realize till the sign sat gazzing on our left side as we wizzed by at 85MPH) and ending after the banquet at the hotel around 8pm.

Setup
It was nice to see most of the show indoors this year after last year, however the weather this year was perfect for outside too. Vendors were side by side and no one complained about their neighbors. The sales area was behind the vendor tables and must admit it needed to be moved. Lots of people were ordering and blocking the main area for announcements and giveaways !

Police
I guess these two were here to make sure Dana behaved :props: , and that Adams car did not get chipped. They were however two great people and really into cars and shows. They actually ripped me for not allowing a burnout early on in parking ! Did we ever tazzer that drunk bicycler ?? I saw the two thru-out the day and even caught the one inside the Mothers rig checking out the front cabin. (Cannot believe I missed Forrest from Mothers)

Car-Show
I thought there was a great mix of cars from Prius to Ferrari and many seemed to change thru-out the day. I thought all were winners for coming and showing whats unique about them and what they like. Some had incredible paint others were clearly detailed from novice to professional. Every winner was a winner in there way, and NO I didnt get to judge them.

Vendors
WOW !! These guys/gals care alot on the products they carry and really was upset I didnt get to talk with all of them on a personal level. PJ from Dodo excites himself to another level when discussing his brand and where its going and for great reason. Others like P21S offered some great hints on a sample product I fell in love with last show and is indeed available in the bikers line now. Others like Steve from Poorboys alluded to some new products in pipeline but highly suggested I keep the silence until they finish testing. Of course our own released the new DP Poli-Sealant and it sure looks/feels like a must grab. Why did the keep FourStar/Ultima so darn far away from me all day ???

Staff
What can you say on a staff that works 12 hours a day up to and leading into DF and still smiling and ready to go. Meghan and Jason really make this look easy and funny to see just how loopy Jason gets at 6am in the morning ! The packaging area deserves a big kudos for fufilling order after order almost 4 hours after we were suppose to stop them. Capt Max was driving around giving everyone from Police to associates to vendors his personal telephone in case they wanted/needed anything and was hosting all day. Did Mike ever get out of the studio Saturday ??

Visitors and Forum Members
What can you say other than this is indeed not only a special event but also brings some of those many posts to life. Most were not even known until after conversation had long started. To all the new visitors especially those that visited with us in sales area I hope to see your posts and reviews soon too. Ed's girlfriend (she's a keeper, wink-wink) deserved an award for keeping the orders flying out and jumping in and discussing products she probably had not visited more than minutes beforehand.

Banquet
Talk about a nice spread that just kept coming and coming and coming. Most of us were planning on a dinner after this small meet, but Meghan visited more than once with additional food available. Between the chicken wings, sandwiches, and dip most found it best to stay and swap stories. It was so cool to see most of the vendors and one table early on and even Dana and Mike sitting together for a cocktail. I swear everytime Doc G talks from Optimum we are all taken back at how impressive his products are and how they are designed to do what they do. I could not help but wanting a sample of his new coating after seeing/hearing the long term results ! I also found Blue Moons to my liking and saw more than one indulging in this livation thru-out the evening.

Finally we headed off as Ernie was to be a god-father the next morning and needed to find a small gift. On our drive back to Broward I thought about just how unique and different each DF has been. While the 1st will always offer special meaning, its really quite dramatic to see just what 5 years brings. So .... heres to DF2011 , and may those that did not attend truly attempt to make the next one !

OH ... Adam, my wife found my Oatmeal cookie two days later in my shorts in my bag. Cannot believe I missed them and more importantly the chocolate ones. Guess I should have grabbed a can and ran when we were visiting and checking out that beautiful red Saturn Sky from Cee-Dog.

CEE DOG
03-30-2010, 05:19 PM
Great stuff Scott!

An excellent summary.

ronkh57
03-30-2010, 05:50 PM
Wish I could say it as eloquently.

I only had one problem... I only got one cookie. :(

I think Dwayne kept hiding them.

Bunky
03-30-2010, 06:10 PM
It was a great ! It was nice to put a face to the name for many that post here.

The Sunday activities was interesting. I think this should continue in the future. Some highlights were watching Adam putting in severe holograms in Mike's black test hood using a rotary and then take them out with M105/M205/UF with the rotary. Multiple people brought vehicles into Mike's garage for inspection and test spots.

I only got one cookie too!

Shane731
03-30-2010, 06:21 PM
I thought Meghan was the one who liked cookies?

ASPHALT ROCKET
03-30-2010, 07:29 PM
Well said Scott, just an FYI though, I don't drink.:dblthumb2:

CEE DOG
03-30-2010, 08:14 PM
Well said Scott, just an FYI though, I don't drink.:dblthumb2:

That you know of... I dropped a shot of vodka in that coke while you weren't looking :eek:

Harleyguy
03-30-2010, 08:21 PM
Well sorry there wasn't more cookies to go around i mean as soon as we pulled into the parking lot we had people chasing us.And Scott how fast we forgot how many times i offered some cookies to you but you turned them down.Maybe next year i will trade detail supplies for a cookie supply ?? Other then that everything was smooth sailing.

Mike Phillips
03-30-2010, 09:00 PM
Great summary that paints an accurate portrait of the weekend in total.

It's always hard to believe this is a job?

Last year I was here as a guest and this year I was on the other side of the table welcoming guests and both sides are incredibly fun.

This event is now the must-attend car detailing event in the United States, if not the world, (what else is there?), for both detailers and vendors serious about connecting with the pulse of the detailing world, both on the professional side and the enthusiasts side as they are both important.

Thanks for your thoughts Scott, very well written.

Anyone reading this whether you're a detailer, an car crazy enthusiasts or affiliated with a company that caters to this industry.... clear your calendar now and make plans to be here next year because it's only going to be bigger and better!

:)

O.C.Detailing
03-30-2010, 10:21 PM
I can't wait for next year and thanks for the enlightening summary. If things see fit to pan out for this detailing business adventure I've started for myself, I'll be there for sure!

ScottB
03-31-2010, 04:42 PM
That you know of... I dropped a shot of vodka in that coke while you weren't looking :eek:

you slipped him one too ????

Well sorry there wasn't more cookies to go around i mean as soon as we pulled into the parking lot we had people chasing us.And Scott how fast we forgot how many times i offered some cookies to you but you turned them down.Maybe next year i will trade detail supplies for a cookie supply ?? Other then that everything was smooth sailing.

As a relatively fluffy guy I prefered to allow those not so cuddly to enjoy them.

Great summary that paints an accurate portrait of the weekend in total.

It's always hard to believe this is a job?

:)

Mike its hard believe its been a year. I really wanted to talk with you and chill with you, but your reputation and ability to help detailers was in full effect on Saturday and I never saw you outside of classes and really helping others. I fielded more than several kudo's during the day for your point in the right direction while helping book the sales.

I simply cannot wait till next year , and cannot wait till my boys are older and can enjoy all of it and spend the day with the best people in the industry.

Racin10s
03-31-2010, 05:56 PM
I just hope I am in a position to make it next year. Really making me sorry I missed it.