PDA

View Full Version : Car wash and wheel cleaning questions...

WRAPT C5Z06
03-29-2010, 08:54 PM
Considering most soaps are recommended to dilute 1 oz. to every gallon of water, how many gallons of mixed solution do you use on an average size car?

Also, when using a wheel cleaner, even if the wheel is not hot, do you still wet the wheel before applying the cleaner/gel?

Thanks.

twistedframe
03-29-2010, 09:14 PM
I usually do an ONR wash so I use about 2 gallons of water. Generally that is plenty of water for me to just about any vehicle.

No you don't have to wet the wheels. If I am breaking out the wheel cleaner (on regular washes I just use soapy water from the bucket) I usually spray it on dry wheels. It might take a little more product, but it sits on the wheel longer which means less time scrubbing.

Hope that helps :thumb:

AeroCleanse
03-29-2010, 09:15 PM
I use 2 gallons of water mixed with 1 oz of ONR

YankeeFan
03-29-2010, 09:31 PM
I use 4 gallons mixed with 3 oz of Duragloss Wash and 1 oz of ONR

Howard

Irish
03-30-2010, 06:06 AM
Considering most soaps are recommended to dilute 1 oz. to every gallon of water, how many gallons of mixed solution do you use on an average size car?Normally 3 gallons in each bucket, so 6 total. The buckets I use now are tapered in such a way that Grit Guards sit pretty high, significantly higher than the buckets AG sells, so 3 gallons is pretty much required.

Also, when using a wheel cleaner, even if the wheel is not hot, do you still wet the wheel before applying the cleaner/gel?Thanks.With P21S Gel I don't. With ARO I do.

O.C.Detailing
03-30-2010, 07:48 AM
I usually put 4 gallons of water in my bucket with 4 oz. of Meg's Gold Class or I add enough of whatever other car wash I'm using until my hand is feeling pretty slick after I put it in the wash water. I aggitate a little with my hand to get a bit of suds on top of the water, but I've never seen the need to use suds from the bucket much.

For wheels, it's probably better to apply the cleaner to the wheel without any water on it so the chemical you're using is actually working at it's full, intended strength rather than being diluted by water that's sitting on the wheel. I do, however, spray the wheels down quite a bit with Meg's Wheel brightener (4:1 mix ratio) and then use my leftover car wash solution and wheel brushes to get the wheels as clean as possible. I guess I get a bit paranoid that some of the cleaners will damage the clearcoat on wheels if I leave it on too long undiluted. Haven't had any issues yet (knock on wood).

RaskyR1
03-30-2010, 09:47 AM
I usually have about 3-4 gallons in my buckets.

If the wheels are hot/warm I will spray them off with cold water first and let them cool before cleaning.

Bunky
03-30-2010, 11:19 AM
Considering most soaps are recommended to dilute 1 oz. to every gallon of water, how many gallons of mixed solution do you use on an average size car?

Also, when using a wheel cleaner, even if the wheel is not hot, do you still wet the wheel before applying the cleaner/gel?

Thanks.

I mix up 2 to 3 gallons when I use the 2 bucket method and use more if I do a single bucket (3 minimum).

How much do you use?

WRAPT C5Z06
03-30-2010, 11:45 AM
How much do you use?
I use 4 gallons of water and 4 oz. of soap. I feel like I'm using too much, so I'm now going to use 3 gallons of water and 3 oz. of soap.

Bunky
03-30-2010, 06:11 PM
I use 4 gallons of water and 4 oz. of soap. I feel like I'm using too much, so I'm now going to use 3 gallons of water and 3 oz. of soap.

I was trying to see how little I need. I think 2 to 2.5 gallons minimum with the two bucket method on my cars. I have about 1 gallon left.

ScottB
03-30-2010, 06:14 PM
Did anyone note just how concentrated the DoDo washes are ??? PJ blew my mind and showed how some are using far too much. He even adds an anti-static ingredient in it ...