PDA

View Full Version : Cleaner or Polish

Emm
03-28-2010, 06:50 PM
If I have very minor swirls with a coat of wax on already, and I want to remove the wax and do a very fine polish which product and pad do I use? A pre-wax cleaner or a final polish product? and what is the difference?

Pie
03-28-2010, 07:41 PM
If you use a cleaner or polish it will take off the existing coat of wax. A cleaner simply cleans, a polish will have correcting ability. I like to refer to this chart to get a general idea of what I should use:

Autogeek Swirl Removers & Compounds Comparison Chart (http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/wax-cut-chart-master.htm)

The approach I would use is XMT360 with white or green pad. This is the approach I would take with the products I have on hand. I hear Meguiars 205, can also take care of light swirls

tuscarora dave
03-28-2010, 11:02 PM
Poorboy's World Pro polish is a cleaner type of polish that is pad dependent. A lot of folks use it to remove wax with a finishing pad and some use it to do correction with more abrasive pads. I would imagine other cleaners would be pad dependent as well.

I'd like to see what others think about this. Am I right about other cleaners being pad dependent?

tuscarora dave
03-28-2010, 11:07 PM
If you use a cleaner or polish it will take off the existing coat of wax. A cleaner simply cleans, a polish will have correcting ability. I like to refer to this chart to get a general idea of what I should use:

Autogeek Swirl Removers & Compounds Comparison Chart (http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/wax-cut-chart-master.htm)

The approach I would use is XMT360 with white or green pad. This is the approach I would take with the products I have on hand. I hear Meguiars 205, can also take care of light swirls
That chart has PB Pro Polish in the wrong slot as it is one of the least abrasive polishes that PB offers.

Z06-Goose
03-29-2010, 01:18 AM
I claybar, then polish. Polishing will clean the paint up.
If you have the time to spare, I guess you could use a cleaner wax prior to polishing...

Emm
03-29-2010, 02:35 AM
Thanks for that chart I didn't see that before. I guess i'll try a very fine polish