PDA

View Full Version : New leather maintenance

Pages : [1] 2

gtstang10
03-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Hi, I have a new 2010 mustang gt premium with black leather interior. I am looking for a leather care product, I dont need a cleaner yet just something for preventative maintenance. I want something that doesnt leave a greasy or shiny finish, I dont want the product to change the look of the finish on the leather, which is a flat finish. Right now it still looks like the day I picked it up from the dealer and smells like it too. I just need something to keep it looking that way for as long as I can, any sugestions? thanks

Dubbin1
03-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Pinnacle Leather Conditioner (http://www.autogeek.net/pinleatcon.html) would be a good choice

Irish
03-28-2010, 12:42 PM
Optimum Protectant Plus offers complete protection for interior leather, vinyl, plastic & rubber dressing. vinyl and rubber dressing, vinyl (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-protectant-plus.html)

My current favorite for well-kept leather. Added benefit here being that it's a jack-of-all-trades.

Lasthope05
03-28-2010, 01:05 PM
It is not really beneficial to use a conditioner on coated leather as they dont penetrate coating and only sit on top(sometimes trapping in dirt.) Just give it a good wipe down with a damp microfiber cloth every time you wash your car to remove dirt and oils on the leather and that is really all that is needed. Use a leather clean every 1-2 months and you should be perfectly fine.

sonic03insc
03-28-2010, 02:14 PM
Leatherique works really good.

wytstang
03-28-2010, 05:23 PM
Best preventive maintenance is keeping them clean. Optimum leather protectant is perfect since your leather is new. It will clean them and since it's water based it won't attract dirt/grim and it dries to the touch. It also is great for plastic and vinyl. It's all I use in my stang.

kronos
03-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Another vote for Optimum Leather Protectant. This stuff is fabulous! It goes on easy, wipes away easily, cleans, protects, and leaves a nice matte finish.

vegasdenali
03-29-2010, 08:18 PM
It is not really beneficial to use a conditioner on coated leather as they dont penetrate coating and only sit on top(sometimes trapping in dirt.) Just give it a good wipe down with a damp microfiber cloth every time you wash your car to remove dirt and oils on the leather and that is really all that is needed. Use a leather clean every 1-2 months and you should be perfectly fine.
So I just recently bought some WG leather conditioner but haven't used it yet. When you say "coated", what is it coated with and how can I tell if the WG conditioner will be beneficial? The WG product description says nothing about this.

Lasthope05
03-29-2010, 08:46 PM
So I just recently bought some WG leather conditioner but haven't used it yet. When you say "coated", what is it coated with and how can I tell if the WG conditioner will be beneficial? The WG product description says nothing about this.

Most automotive leather is coated with a pigmented paint and sealed so conditioners do nothing to hydrate or nourish the leather as it does not penetrate the coating. This coating is very durable and the only maintenance it needs is an occasional wipe down and cleaning to keep it dirt and body-oil free as they both damage and deteriorate the finish. You should treat your seats pretty much like vinyl and use a protectant with UV protection on it.

sullysdetailing
03-29-2010, 09:55 PM
Pinnacle or Wolfgang is the way to go. You will love both lines. Great products

jjkacz
03-30-2010, 07:14 AM
Most automotive leather is coated with a pigmented paint and sealed so conditioners do nothing to hydrate or nourish the leather as it does not penetrate the coating. This coating is very durable and the only maintenance it needs is an occasional wipe down and cleaning to keep it dirt and body-oil free as they both damage and deteriorate the finish. You should treat your seats pretty much like vinyl and use a protectant with UV protection on it.

:iagree:

WRAPT C5Z06
03-30-2010, 08:38 AM
:iagree:

Use a leather cleaner every so often. Then, use Optimum protectant plus or 303 for UV protectant. You'll be good to go.

RaskyR1
03-30-2010, 09:42 AM
Leatherique or Leather Masters

svtsupremecy
04-06-2010, 03:56 PM
I have had my best results on my 2007 GT leather by using this process: Lexol or Pinnacle leather cleaner. 1z Leather conditioner (has light cleaners in it) but then after 1-2 days of that I shoot them with some Optimum leather protectant.

Id say my favorite product for the leather in my car so far has been the Optimum

WRAPT C5Z06
04-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Id say my favorite product for the leather in my car so far has been the Optimum
What do you apply it with?