PDA

View Full Version : Polishing pad question.

wicked1
10-21-2006, 11:15 AM
Hi everyone. I finally got around to starting in on doing my Yukon (much more vehicle to work with than was my Civic!) and noticed something with the pads. I'm using the PC with the Wolfgang pads, and as I got more of the truck done, it seemed as though the pad wasn't doing much of anything. By doing nothing I mean that whereas when I first started, everything was fine, the polish got worked, it broke down, yada yada. But as I did more of the truck, the PC wasn't even spinning the pad at all, it was just kind of vibrating a little bit as if the pad was getting stuck and not doing much of anything else other than throwing some dried polish on my arms from the edges of the pad. The polish wasn't breaking down since it wasn't getting worked properly, and in some places I was getting buildups of polish, while in others it was kind of leaving behind the (for lack of knowing how to describe it) wetness of the polish. I didn't run into this problem with the Civic, so the questions are these: Are the pads only good for X amount of time until they get clogged with polish? Did I use too much polish? Do I just need to switch to a new pad when it starts doing this? Does any of what I am trying to explain make sense to you all?? :D

sparkie
10-21-2006, 11:33 AM
I would try to clean the pad. Do you have XMT polishing pad cleaner? If you do, spray it on and work the cleaner in the pad and wash out with water. Put it back on the PC and set it on 6, then spin it dry away from anything. Water will spin out about 15- 20 feet. And go back to work on your SUV. If you don't have XMT cleaner, use an APC and do the same.

blkyukon
10-21-2006, 01:08 PM
What Sparkie said...When I polish my Yukon I usually have to change the pads a couple times for each polish. The amount of times I have to change the pads depends on the polish I'm using, usually the more aggressive the polish the quicker they become clogged.

(much more vehicle to work with than was my Civic!)
Yeah, there is a little more paint surface on a Yukon then on a Civic:D

wicked1
10-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the responses guys.

sparkie: No, I don't have any of the polishing pad cleaner. Looks like I need to order something else. lol

blkyukon: Thanks for the heads up on the extra pads. I guess I can order those along with the pad cleaner.

And oops, I meant to put this in the detailing forum, not the auto detailing university.

FloridaNative
10-21-2006, 03:44 PM
I would try to clean the pad. Do you have XMT polishing pad cleaner? If you do, spray it on and work the cleaner in the pad and wash out with water. Put it back on the PC and set it on 6, then spin it dry away from anything. Water will spin out about 15- 20 feet. And go back to work on your SUV. If you don't have XMT cleaner, use an APC and do the same.

:iagree: The pad has to be cleaned throughout the detail. :) The XMT pad cleaner is great! Just spray, rub and rinse. All clean. Pop it back on the PC, spin her dry and she's ready to polish again. :)

sparkie
10-21-2006, 03:54 PM
1 pad cleaned with XMT pad cleaner, the other 1/2 sprayed with XMT cleaner. The stuff is awesome, used very little cleaner. http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m139/sparkymm6/98F-150008.jpg

wicked1
10-21-2006, 04:00 PM
Well, that settles it then. I definitely need to get the pad cleaner.

Also, is there a big difference in upgrading to the Edge pads as opposed to the regular velcro pads I'm currently using? (Why do I feel the answer will be a resounding YES!) :)

sparkie
10-21-2006, 04:17 PM

Also, is there a big difference in upgrading to the Edge pads as opposed to the regular velcro pads I'm currently using? (Why do I feel the answer will be a resounding YES!) :)

I'm still learning the Edge pads, I like them so far, but its different then my LC or Megs pads. The one thing I do like is, when the pad gets dirty. Push pull flip! You have a new pad! Two pads in one!

Cross
11-06-2006, 12:23 AM
I'm still learning the Edge pads, I like them so far, but its different then my LC or Megs pads. The one thing I do like is, when the pad gets dirty. Push pull flip! You have a new pad! Two pads in one!.
Sparkie's got it right with edge you can do most cars without stopping to wash the pad just flip it .

Jonboy
11-06-2006, 04:47 AM
I've got the Edge pads now and there far easier to use than the others

FloridaNative
11-06-2006, 08:14 AM

The quality of the foam is very similar between the LC system and the Edge system with both being excellent, but the perfect centering and being able to flip and go give the Edge system extra brownie points. :p