PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the interior ceiling (or roof)?

mcpp66
03-27-2010, 09:53 AM
How do you guys clean the ceiling of the passenger area? Do you scrub it? Use a hot water extractor? Do you do anything at all?

bill walsh
03-27-2010, 01:37 PM
i just use foam cleaner and sponge for head liners

Grizzly
03-27-2010, 01:44 PM
I use a rag dampened warm water and a spritz of Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer

O.C.Detailing
03-27-2010, 06:31 PM
I use APC mixed either 10:1 or 4:1, depending on how dirty it is, sprayed onto a microfiber and lightly scrub/wipe down the headliner. Headliners are tricky beasts...just be careful not to rub too hard or you can separate the fabric from the foam. Good luck.

mcpp66
03-27-2010, 11:50 PM
Okay, I'm going to reveal my ignorance with this one..........what's a headliner?

O.C.Detailing
03-27-2010, 11:56 PM
Okay, I'm going to reveal my ignorance with this one..........what's a headliner?

It is the portion of interior above your head in all vehicles. Usually a very soft fabric of some sort with a thin foam backing.

mcpp66
03-27-2010, 11:57 PM
It is the portion of interior above your head in all vehicles. Usually a very soft fabric of some sort with a thin foam backing.

I'm glad I asked...........I was thinking it was the sun visors.

mcpp66
03-27-2010, 11:58 PM
So after you scrub the headliner how do you rinse out the soap and dry it?

Z06-Goose
03-28-2010, 12:10 AM
So after you scrub the headliner how do you rinse out the soap and dry it?
Try using a soft brush first. Nothing else. Help it by vaccuming afterwards
You'll be surprised how just brusing it out first will clean up the headliner.
After that, assess the condition and see what you have left to work with.
Now, you can use the recommended "wet" method mentioned above if you have left with some dirty spots.
Use the a damp towel instead of saturating the fabric and gently work the area...

mcpp66
03-28-2010, 12:13 AM
Try using a soft brush first. Nothing else. Help it by vaccuming afterwards
You'll be surprised how just brusing it out first will clean up the headliner.
After that, assess the condition and see what you have left to work with.
Now, you can use the recommended "wet" method mentioned above if you have left with some dirty spots.
Use the a damp towel instead of saturating the fabric and gently work the area...

What about drying it if a wet method is used? Do I need a wet/dry vac or just let it air dry?

Jossy92
03-29-2010, 09:55 AM
I was going to try one of the no-rinse products to avoid having use too much pressure and not having to rinse. [I have soft vinyl, not cloth.]

No one has mentioned it, so now I am not sure.

[Ooops, I am a intermediate newb and this forum is for experts. I just meant to expand the answers not suggest advice.]

BobbyG
03-30-2010, 03:34 PM
The headliner is one of those areas that for the most part doesn't require very much attention at all. For soiled areas I would consider an upholstery cleaner and go from there.

j994k
03-30-2010, 06:38 PM
We use just a light mist of APC and a soft tooth brush for spot cleaning. If its a bad spot like a smoke/nicotine stain, or a patch of hair spray crust we lightly mist the area with APC, soft brush, then use the extractor to pull the stain out. Sometimes we have to do it a few times untill the stain comes out. As long as you don't get it too wet it will be ok. We dont use the water from the extractor so a wet dry vac would probably work alright too.

snowking724
03-30-2010, 07:27 PM
just used a little apc and my leather brush and it worked great on a few small spots. Nothing's getting the two cig burns out of the pass side from my gf. Damn rain and hoods.