PDA

View Full Version : Yellow LC pads obsolete?

termigator
03-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Since the advent of the "Kevin Brown Method" and the introduction of SMAT technology in Meguiar's new compound/polishes, I find myself being able to polish my vehicles to near LSP readiness by just using the orange LC pads. That being said, I still have a few brand new and unopened yellow LC pads (along with a purple Kompressor pad) that seem to be just taking up space. Does anybody still use those pads? I'm curious to know what kind of situation would still call for the cut a yellow pad provides.

Matt S.
03-26-2010, 02:12 PM
There have been MANY situations where an orange pad didn't "cut" it and I find myself using yellow/purple. It's always good to have a couple on hand when detailing a car.

mcpp66
03-26-2010, 02:15 PM
I guess I've been lucky thus far.......the work I've done on my car hasn't required anything more than a white pad.

termigator
03-26-2010, 02:33 PM
I guess I've been lucky thus far.......the work I've done on my car hasn't required anything more than a white pad.

That's mostly true for me too. However, I've done some spot wetsanding on chip repairs where the orange pad came in handy. Also, my mom's Mercedes had one of the doors repainted and the finish wasn't as nice as I thought it could have been, so I broke out the 2000 grit sandpaper and followed it up with orange pad + M105 (or UC. Can't recall). Finished it up with some Final Polish II (Which I way too much of!) and it was gleaming.

Dubbin1
03-26-2010, 04:44 PM
I just did a chevy pickup this week that really made me wish I had yellow pads on hand.

5.4 Shelby
03-26-2010, 06:19 PM
I just used yellow pads with 105 last week to take out some scratches that a dog put in my truck jumping up on it. Orange was just not getting the job done. Yellow made quick work of the scratches.

Now, with that said, I was not Kevin Browning it. I was Mike Phillipsing it.

jjkacz
03-26-2010, 08:34 PM
I use the LC yellow pads to make the job go quicker. Yes, the LC orange pads will do the job, just not as quickly.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-26-2010, 10:35 PM
now, with that said, i was not kevin browning it. I was mike phillipsing it.
lol!!

tkc
03-26-2010, 10:38 PM
Are the yellow pads oing obsolete...?

christian900se
03-27-2010, 01:16 AM
I do find the yellow LC pads are being eclipsed by PFW pads in terms of cutting and finishing ability. The yellow Lake Country pads used to be my go to compounding pads but PFW really has an incredible amount of cut when you compare it to the absolute finishing ability it possesses.