PDA

View Full Version : G220 & Edge2000 Pad

nothelle
03-26-2010, 03:14 AM
Hi, I'm currently using G220v1 and the Edge2000 6" double sided pad system and I'm encountering some unusual problem. Somehow the pad stops spinning even with the slightest pressure applied on the DA. I tried to lubricate the pad with some QD and it still doesn't work, it even rotated counter clockwise very slowly when pressure was applied. Put it on speed dial 4-5 and it kept bogging down.

At first I thought the machine broke down, but when I changed into Meguiars BP+pad, it rotates normally clockwise direction (even with some pressure applied). This feels strange since I don't have this problem with my older UDM machine, I can get some rotational movement with speed dial 2-3 on UDM.

I've read and search the problem and it seems some people do experience with the pad DA tends to bog down a bit and so far no solution... Though rotation isn't everything in DA, it feels that I'm using an orbital when i can only see oscilation.

Should i just give up on the system or is there actually a solution for Edge2000 pad system on a DA? Again, i never actually had this problem with UDM, and G220 should be at least comparable in power with the UDM?

Nappers
03-26-2010, 03:24 AM
The only thing I can think of is that the pad is thicker and may be hitting the machine body?

Is the pad cleaned on the fly after use? Or is it doing it when you just started.

I had troubles with my G100 (PC) and I had a pad saturation problem and it wouldn't spin 'cause it was so heavy!

6" shouldn't be a problem with the G220, my G100 spins the Soft Buff 2.0's just fine, long as I clean on the fly after every panel I work on and switch out pads.

nothelle
03-26-2010, 03:39 AM
The only thing I can think of is that the pad is thicker and may be hitting the machine body?

Is the pad cleaned on the fly after use? Or is it doing it when you just started.

I had troubles with my G100 (PC) and I had a pad saturation problem and it wouldn't spin 'cause it was so heavy!

6" shouldn't be a problem with the G220, my G100 spins the Soft Buff 2.0's just fine, long as I clean on the fly after every panel I work on and switch out pads.

It's a clean pad, first i thought of lubrication problem, but lubricating it didn't solve the problem. What puzzles me, it rotates just fine with the Megs backing plate & pad. I even measured the weight on both system, almost identical (about 150gr), so I don't think weight of the pad system is the problem.

I'm sure there is still some distance to the DA's body, but it's rather hard to tell due to all the vibration. So far I can't think of any logical explanation to this abnormality....

Nappers
03-26-2010, 05:02 AM
Strange.....

The only other thing is the pad is hitting the machine housing slightly and slowing it down.....

You could try to put a washer or two on the backing plate then give it a whirl, give it some clearance.....

Jossy92
03-26-2010, 09:10 AM
I'm sure there is still some distance to the DA's body, but it's rather hard to tell.....

Does it spin normally when the pad is not touching the paint?
If you place the DA on the paint without turning it on does the DA sink into the foam?
I [am--->]was interested in trying the same system

nothelle
03-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Does it spin normally when the pad is not touching the paint?
If you place the DA on the paint without turning it on does the DA sink into the foam?
I [am--->]was interested in trying the same system

Yes it does..but with a little pressure it stops and (strangely) rotates backwards/counterclockwise a bit. I check with and without the pressure, there is enough clearance, about 5mm roughly between pad & DA housing.

Strange.....

The only other thing is the pad is hitting the machine housing slightly and slowing it down.....

You could try to put a washer or two on the backing plate then give it a whirl, give it some clearance.....

This is still preliminary, I tried to put tough rubber washers (since late night, these are the only things i could find in my tool drawer), about 1-2mm thick. I haven't tried it on an actual panel, but tried it back and forth between no washer, 1mm washer, 2mm washer on flat ceramic and tabletop.... I might be rumbling excessively here..and here it goes........

Tadaaa..... you're a genius nappers. It works!!! Again i only tried this on any flat surfaces that i could find, but I see movement as it should be, slower than the Megs pad system, but it rotates!!!!! I'd like to hear from others who want to try the Nappers` washer system on actual panel, but so far I'm seeing positive outcome from it. Please do try it and give feedback... thanks a lot

nothelle
03-30-2010, 01:26 AM
Update.... strangely enough it only works with hard rubber washer. Tried to change it with metal washer and problem came back, rotating counterclockwise very slowly.