PDA

View Full Version : What Pads To Buy

The Critic
03-25-2010, 01:59 AM
Let's say you were going to purchase six or seven LC FLAT pads to use with your new Flex 3401XRG and M105/M205.

Right now, I am thinking:

2 orange-- cutting
3 white-- light polsihing, use most of?
2 grey/black-- for jeweling and LSP

Thoughts? Or should I consider a different "combination?"

Thanks.

rwright
03-25-2010, 05:45 AM
I wouldn't limit myself to just one pad style until I have sampled many. If you already know that just the flat pads work perfect for you, maybe add more of each color. If you have the means to buy say 4 orange, 4 white, 4 gray, etc. Maybe add a couple green and a couple blue pads too. It's always nice to have a variety! Just my thoughts.

Richard

PAR Detailing
03-25-2010, 07:12 AM
^ Like he said, dont limit yourself. I personally love the hydrotechs but I also really like the flats as well. I am officially addicted to pads, you can never have enough of them... lol I find different pads work better in different situations. If you are going for showcar finishes you may want to consider picking up a finishing polish such as menz 85rd

To really answer your question everyone needs more information on you
1. Is this for your personal car or for an up and coming business?
2. What vehicles are you working on?
3. Would you be open to picking up more than just 6-7 pads?

Jon

The Critic
03-26-2010, 12:06 AM
To really answer your question everyone needs more information on you
1. Is this for your personal car or for an up and coming business?
2. What vehicles are you working on?
3. Would you be open to picking up more than just 6-7 pads?

Jon

1) Personal car, maybe a friend's car or two.

2) older Saturn, older Toyota, one newer Honda Fit. All basecoat/clearcoat cars with presumably very soft to medium paint.

3) In the future, yes. But for now, I'm just trying to learn as I have never machine polished before, so I want to "start small" if possible.

Thanks!

Rsurfer
03-26-2010, 01:22 AM
1) Personal car, maybe a friend's car or two.

2) older Saturn, older Toyota, one newer Honda Fit. All basecoat/clearcoat cars with presumably very soft to medium paint.

3) In the future, yes. But for now, I'm just trying to learn as I have never machine polished before, so I want to "start small" if possible.

Thanks!
That's a good start, now go and start detailing.:buffing:

Nappers
03-26-2010, 03:35 AM
That's a good start, but I use up to 6-8 pads on our Neon and it's a little car and when I was pad poor, it was fun to say the least. I would use up to 3 pads dialing in my process (don't want to cross contaminate products) then use another 4-5 depending on products used. I would wash the first few, get them drying in the sun so I don't run out. It was a pain in the hind end when I only had 4-5 pads.....

If you can get more pads of what you already mentioned, then you would be better off. I tend to have more polishing pads than the others. I think I have 4-6 cutting pads (LC/Meg's) 10-12 polishing pads (LC/Meg's) and a few finishing pads (same) as I wax by hand and don't really car for DA waxing all that much.

I have the LC CCS pads and Meguiar's Soft Buff and Soft Buff 2.0's. currently and not pad poor which makes it handy when detailing a car.

You'll want to double that at least, you won't be sorry......

Rhudeboye
03-26-2010, 08:18 AM
I would use up to 3 pads dialing in my process (don't want to cross contaminate products) then use another 4-5 depending on products used.

You'll want to double that at least, you won't be sorry......

Good point on the cross contamination. What do you mean dialing in your process?

RTexasF
03-26-2010, 08:31 AM
I agree that you will need considerably more pads than that. Going with what you requested my choice would be 4 orange & 3 white. Orange is the workhorse for me with white close behind.

Nappers
03-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Good point on the cross contamination. What do you mean dialing in your process?

Use a test spot, use a product (start least aggressive first mind you) then move up if needed and get a process dialed up.

My typical dialing in process on our Neon say, M105 followed by M205 and I finish with M66 for giggles then Do Do Wax Banana Armour.....

The Critic
03-30-2010, 02:14 AM
Okay, so what if I bumped up the number to 9?
1 yellow
3 orange
3 white
2 black

Ideally, how many more should I have?

PAR Detailing
03-30-2010, 06:15 AM
Okay, so what if I bumped up the number to 9?
1 yellow
3 orange
3 white
2 black

Ideally, how many more should I have?

That should be enough to do one car. Read up on cleaning pads on the fly, you will need to know how to do this

How many more really depends on you, if you like the system you have then you dont really need more but if you get the urge to buy more then go ahead. I am a pad junkie, I have over 35 pads all different styles of pads. I like the variety but what you have is a staple in the detailing world.

Best of luck,
Jon

The Critic
04-04-2010, 01:24 AM
Just placed my order.

3 LC Flat Orange
3 LC Flat White
2 LC Hydro-Tech Tangerine
1 LC Flat Grey

And a very generous individual sent me 1 LC Flat Black and 1 LC CCS Grey or Black pad.

The Critic
04-04-2010, 01:26 AM
Just placed my order.

3 LC Flat Orange
3 LC Flat White
2 LC Hydro-Tech Tangerine
1 LC Flat Grey

And a very generous individual sent me 1 LC Flat Black and 1 LC CCS Grey or Black pad.