PDA

View Full Version : Foam Gun - Quick Change Artist

TedGamble
10-20-2006, 02:42 PM
I have the F/G with the quick disconnect, and got to thinking. There has to be a smoother means of changing from a standard water sprayer to the F/G, and back again. Then it occured to me...

First, we use the standard configuration where we have a quick-disconnect fitting between the trigger grip and the bottle/nozzle.

Next, we get one of those twist nozzles (or the fire hoze nozzle). We then get an additional quick-disconnect fitting and put the female end of the coupling into the twist nozzle.

Voila' We can now switch from water, to foam, to water in under 5 seconds, and not spill a drop of water. The beauty of this approach is that you can quickly switch modes, and also you still maintain the ability of using the pistol grip to control the rate of flow, but use the twist nozzle to control the water pattern, and... you only need one water hose.

In case I have confused you, or you don't see the beauty of this setup, here are a few photos to clarify.

The Players
http://thegamblefamily.net/wp/images/foamgun1.jpg

Standard Foam Gun Configuration
http://www.thegamblefamily.net/wp/images/foamgun2.jpg

Twist Nozzle Attachment for Plain Water (Pre-rinse and Regular Rinse)
http://www.thegamblefamily.net/wp/images/foamgun3.jpg

FloridaNative
10-20-2006, 02:54 PM
Cool! You got the middle piece from AG or you bought it separately? Mine doesn't come with the quick release. That's a cool idea! :)

TedGamble
10-20-2006, 02:56 PM
You got the middle piece from AG or you bought it separately?
The quick-disconnect came with the F/G, but it's the one that AG sells.

abrcrombe
10-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Looks like a cool setup. I have just been using the trigger for clean water, but I do feel like it is lacking too. Maybe I will try to do this. Did you get all this at a hardware store?

TedGamble
10-20-2006, 02:59 PM
Did you get all this at a hardware store?

The twist nozzle is your standard garden-variety nozzle which is available at just about any place that sells water hoses. The one I found is heavy brass, and costs just under $6. It's much better made than the cheaper ones.

The quick-disconnects are from AG.

abrcrombe
10-20-2006, 03:04 PM
If I remember correctly, what Killr did is he put the quick connect to the actual trigger and used a shut off valve to shut the flow of water, then remove the trigger + foam gun and then quick connect any other nozzle to the hose. Turn the shut off valve and you are back in business.

TedGamble
10-20-2006, 03:07 PM
If I remember correctly, what Killr did is he put the quick connect to the actual trigger and used a shut off valve to shut the flow of water, then remove the trigger + foam gun and then quick connect any other nozzle to the hose. Turn the shut off valve and you are back in business.
Yep - I considered that as an option. But, since the F/G came with the quick-disconnect already in place, plus the extra bonus one that you get if you order now, all I needed was a nozzle.

emaxxman
10-20-2006, 03:45 PM

I have the same setup. I must have a number of different nozzles, a multi pattern sprayer, as well as other water devices.. I put a shutoff and quick connect on the end of my hose. I can switch from garden sprayer, foam gun, sprinkler, to pressure washer in seconds.

Also, if you just want to keep your car wet while washing, the pin on the foam gun can be turned to not siphon soap out. I do this all the time...quick turn gives me pure water and is enough to keep the car from drying.

Reddwarf
10-20-2006, 07:31 PM
I have the hose --> shut off value --> qucik connect female --> male quick connect -->foam gun. That way I can easily shut off the water without going back to the spigot. That enables me to pop off the foam gun and replace it with another attachment or water right from the hose.

ScottB
10-22-2006, 07:13 PM
I bought the Dramm300 and got rid of the gun portion. Now all my nozzles have quick releases, as well as canister and long portion, for easy changes while detailing.

http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00028AG18.01-A1F0D2N0ZB70OI._AA120_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Surfer
10-22-2006, 07:19 PM
I bought the Dramm300 and got rid of the gun portion. Now all my nozzles have quick releases, as well as canister and long portion, for easy changes while detailing.

http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00028AG18.01-A1F0D2N0ZB70OI._AA120_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgI need to grab that one. I had a couple of the cheap little plastic ones with the black lever thing on it, I just used those since I already had them. But not good if you want to let the water flow out freely so it can pull itself of the vehicles. Even wide open the water still comes out of the smaller hole acting like its under pressure.