PDA

View Full Version : Wheel cleaner advice..powder coat

dmxsoulja3
03-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a wheel cleaner for my wheels that are black and powder coated. I have been using Eagle One All wheel cleaner for years and it is VERY effective, however, it is also very costly at 6 bucks a bottle. Its a VW so it sheds some brake dust and my black wheels turn brown fairly quickly and if its not brake dust, dew or rain rusts the rotors and it slings rusty looking water all behind the spokes and on black this is very noticeable of course. I know some will say get a brush and use water and soap and a mitt, but I literally rinse the car off every other day or so during the spring and summer to keep it looking great so while my paint stays clean with a good rinse from a pressure washer the wheels sometimes need some product and I don't always have time to whip out a bucket and mitt. Any recommendations on something I can dilute and make plenty of cleaning product for the wheels? I assume since powder coat is fairly strong that it shouldn't be an issue getting constantly cleaned. I do wax them but the problem with that is anytime I take the wheels off I risk damaging the coating, I don't want chipped lug holes and such. This will also help cleaning the rest of the stable, as I take care of 5 cars for the family atleast once every two weeks. Thanks guys!

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w144/dmxsoulja3/edited.jpg (http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w144/dmxsoulja3/?action=view&current=edited.jpg)

JonMiles
03-24-2010, 04:02 PM
I would use some megs wheel brightener, it will clean very well and then rinse easily. You can dilute it to whatever concentration you need. It comes in a 1 gallon container for about 20 bucks. Great deal!

ScottB
03-24-2010, 06:10 PM
Dont use anything with acid on powdercoating IMO ... a safe choice is the Griots Wheel Cleaner or the P21S Wheel Cleaner. I doubt either are cheaper, but safer IMO. Maybe using a wheel sealant after cleaning will help with the use of soap/water for next several washes. You could always upgrade brake pads to ceramic too as wanted.

dmxsoulja3
03-24-2010, 07:01 PM
I just don't know how Eagle One does it with that cleaner, I have tried all of the ones that are "safe" for this finish and they do nothing, the EO is acid free too, but 6 bucks a bottle is steep, is something like Megs APC+ acidic? I wonder if that would clean it up..

Finemess
03-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Once again Killr is spot on. I use Griots on my PC wheels and it works great.

sal329
03-24-2010, 07:43 PM
I usually wash cars using ONR and use the left over for cleaning the wheels. If I need something stronger I start with an APC and work my way up