PDA

View Full Version : is a flex 3401 good for a beginner???

Pages : [1] 2 3

chaley06
03-23-2010, 08:30 PM
hello i am new to machine polishing and i have been doing quite a bit of research on dual action polishers and was wondering which would be best to begin with??? i know the porter cable is usually recommended for first timers but i want to buy a polisher that is not only safe but i can grow into and not turn around and end up buying a flex when i could have done so in the first place. any help i would greatly appreciate it. pros and cons about the flex would be nice also. thanks for the help.

termigator
03-23-2010, 08:54 PM
I had a PC for a few years before I plunged in and got the FLEX. I have absolutely no regrets in getting the PC, since it's lighter and a lot easier to hold and maneuver (The FLEX is somewhat of a beast to handle) and I still use 4" plate to polish areas I can't get to with the FLEX along with using the 6" plate for LSP applications. That being said, I absolutely love the FLEX and if I knew then what I know now, I would have just gotten the FLEX to begin with and saved myself $125.

OCDetails
03-23-2010, 08:57 PM
I think it is just as easy to use as the PC. It is a lot more expensive is all. You'll get the work done quite a bit faster, but the machine is essentially the same as far as how you use it goes. It is a lot heavier and you'll certainly develop some good forearm muscles before long, but either the PC7424 or the Flex 3401 would be good machines for beginners or professionals alike. It is an easy machine to use and the learning curve is practically non-existent.

Rsurfer
03-23-2010, 09:02 PM
I had a PC for a few years before I plunged in and got the FLEX. I have absolutely no regrets in getting the PC, since it's lighter and a lot easier to hold and maneuver (The FLEX is somewhat of a beast to handle) and I still use 4" plate to polish areas I can't get to with the FLEX along with using the 6" plate for LSP applications. That being said, if I knew then what I know now, I would have just gotten the FLEX to begin with and saved myself $125.
You are still using the pc with 4" pads so isn't worth the $125 you would have saved?

termigator
03-23-2010, 09:12 PM
You are still using the pc with 4" pads so isn't worth the $125 you would have saved?

Those "areas" I said I can't get to with the FLEX (e.g. bumpers, mirrors), I actually can. I just have to keep a steady hand and not fling polish around. The PC with the 4" pads is just easier. I'm just not sure if it's worth the extra $125 easy.;)

Birdhunter
03-23-2010, 09:21 PM
I started with a Flex and got the hang of by the end of my first car. I am thinking about getting a pc or the small GG for the small tight areas. I love the Flex but would say get what you can afford and you will be happy either way.

PAR Detailing
03-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Dont let the Flex scare you away, it is very easy to use and I really love it. I first learned on a rotary so I was used to that type of power and forced rotation. I love DAs though and I absolutely love my flex. I would highly recomend getting it if you have the money, you wont regret it I promise

CEE DOG
03-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Get the Flex. Extremely SMOOTH!

jimmers
03-23-2010, 10:24 PM
Go with the Flex. You won't regret it. I am new as well to machine polishing. I decided to go with the Flex as my first machine. I didn't want to get the PC and wish I had gone with the Flex.

I used it for the first time this past weekend. I had no problem using it what so ever. I'll admit that I was intimidated to use it at first but once I got going with it I felt right at home with it. I used it on a Mazda MX-5 (small sized car) and I really didn't have any problem with the 6.5" pads. I just made sure I taped off areas I didn't want to touch and was careful in tight areas.

It is more expensive but if you can afford it, get it. It's easy to use and you won't be disappointed.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-23-2010, 10:38 PM
The Flex will try to control/wander from you when polishing NON flat panels, just be aware of that. Only being able to use 6.5" pads sucks if you don't have another DA. It's a solid machine, but has it's drawbacks, IMO. I just sold my Flex 3401. I like the new version Griot's DA better..

CEE DOG
03-23-2010, 10:42 PM
Go with the Flex. You won't regret it. I am new as well to machine polishing. I decided to go with the Flex as my first machine. I didn't want to get the PC and wish I had gone with the Flex.

I used it for the first time this past weekend. I had no problem using it what so ever. I'll admit that I was intimidated to use it at first but once I got going with it I felt right at home with it. I used it on a Mazda MX-5 (small sized car) and I really didn't have any problem with the 6.5" pads. I just made sure I taped off areas I didn't want to touch and was careful in tight areas.

It is more expensive but if you can afford it, get it. It's easy to use and you won't be disappointed.

Jimmers is right on

CEE DOG
03-23-2010, 10:51 PM
The Flex will try to control/wander from you when polishing NON flat panels, just be aware of that. Only being able to use 6.5" pads sucks if you don't have another DA. It's a solid machine, but has it's drawbacks, IMO. I just sold my Flex 3401. I like the new version Griot's DA better.. You can use 5.5 or 6" pads as well or you could use the edge system as well if I'm not mistaken.
For me I use the LC pads with my Flex and I have a little 3" GG polisher for the tight areas.

OP: Originally I was intimidated by the Flex and also didn't want to spend the money. Bought the Griots. It stopped working on me and the wonferfull people at AG (Dwayne) was extremely helfull in taking care of it in an exchange for another GG. He also talked with me and was very patient with my questions about the Flex. I ended up replacing it with the Flex and MAN am I ever glad I did! It runs so smooth! It's night and day compared to the vibration of the Griots. Z is correct about the pad drawbacks but it doesn't matter for a second to me. My 3" polisher will get into all the places I need it to.. More places then a PC or regular GG with any size pad will get into. + its more convenient imo.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-23-2010, 10:59 PM
You can use 5.5 or 6" pads as well or you could use the edge system as well if I'm not mistaken.
For me I use the LC pads with my Flex and I have a little 3" GG polisher for the tight areas.

OP: Originally I was intimidated by the Flex and also didn't want to spend the money. Bought the Griots. It stopped working on me and the wonferfull people at AG (Dwayne) was extremely helfull in taking care of it in an exchange for another GG. He also talked with me and was very patient with my questions about the Flex. I ended up replacing it with the Flex and MAN am I ever glad I did! It runs so smooth! It's night and day compared to the vibration of the Griots. Z is correct about the pad drawbacks but it doesn't matter for a second to me. My 3" polisher will get into all the places I need it to.. More places then a PC or regular GG with any size pad will get into. + its more convenient imo.
We have "friendly" disagreed on this subject before, but that's ok. It gives different opinions. :xyxthumbs:

I don't think the vibration is night and day between the 2. I do agree the Flex vibrates less, but not that much less.

I bought the Griot's 3" a few months back and sold it as fast as I bought it. I think it's pretty worthless. JMO. Pad stops rotating wayyyyy to easily.

Anyhow, I'm in the very few that didn't like the Flex all that much. The percentages are greater the OP will like the Flex, but there's always a few that are "outside the box" out there. :dblthumb2:

Fly bye
03-24-2010, 12:08 AM
I like my PC7424 :xyxthumbs:

WRAPT C5Z06
03-24-2010, 12:17 AM
I first learned on a rotary so I was used to that type of power and forced rotation.
I actually don't prefer forced rotation. Thank God the new Griot's DA has a lot of power compared to the PC724, PCXP, and G110v2, or I would have had no choice but to go with forced rotation if I wanted to correct faster and more efficient.