PDA

View Full Version : XMT finishing glaze?

Vann
03-23-2010, 07:09 PM
First of all I would like to say hi to everyone here. I found this site through an automotive forum link and spent several days reading all I could about auto detailing :dblthumb2:
My question has to do with Pinnacles XMT finishing glaze. I purchaced the light swirl removal kit, following the instructions and using a PC7424XP. Working on a metalic black cherry '05 Miata with clear coat micro scratches. The fine and ultra fine swirl removers worked well, giving the paint a smooth glossy shine but the glaze seemed to put a slight haze best described as a silver tint to the finish. At first I wasn't sure but looking carfully under lights you could notice it. Next I hand applied some Mothers carnuba wax I had on hand and the results were much better. No reduction in shine and a bit more depth to the finish.
Has anyone else noticed this and if not, could it be something in my technique that might be causing this? Is the Glaze really nessisary or is the carnuba over the light swirl remover enough?
Other than that the results are fantastic, thanks to all that contribute to this site.

Vann

rwright
03-23-2010, 07:36 PM
I recently tried out my XMT products and I'll be honest with you, I don't think the Finishing Glaze was necessary. How much product did you use? How long did you work the product? How big was the section that you were working on? I worked roughly 2'x2' sections at a time and didn't have a haze when I finished. Also, did you prime the pad?

rwright
03-23-2010, 07:36 PM
And welcome to the community too!

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
03-23-2010, 07:43 PM
Welcome! A glaze is never needed. Just take your time polishing the paint correctly with your polishes and you will never need a glaze. Then top your hard work with the carnauba! :)

jevoncrafts
03-23-2010, 11:30 PM
I have to agree. I have used glaze multiple times and the work I put in applying it and then removing it could not be justified by the shine. Polish and wax works great.

Fly bye
03-23-2010, 11:50 PM
the glaze seemed to put a slight haze

I have never heard of a glaze, or wax, fillers, oils etc. creating even a slight haze. I have about four years experience with the XMT line. I have used the XMT Caranuba Finishing Glaze, and NO haze. With the proper technique, (compound/polish) I agree with the others, I don't see a noticable difference, although the XMT Finishing Glaze would work great in between waxing, as it has caranuba in it.

jevoncrafts
03-28-2010, 11:59 PM
good to know.

Lasthope05
03-29-2010, 12:22 AM
I have never heard of a glaze, or wax, fillers, oils etc. creating even a slight haze. I have about four years experience with the XMT line. I have used the XMT Caranuba Finishing Glaze, and NO haze. With the proper technique, (compound/polish) I agree with the others, I don't see a noticable difference, although the XMT Finishing Glaze would work great in between waxing, as it has caranuba in it.

Numerous people have had problems with glazes and waxes hazing the paint either from certain environmental conditions or compatibility problems with different products. Also some people have found some glazes to distort the finish on a perfectly polished panel.

2kredbb6
03-29-2010, 12:34 AM
Fine swirl an Ultra fine swirl Removers are probably all you need before you apply some wax or sealer.
I have used and never had any issues with their glaze..