PDA

View Full Version : I gradutated to another detailing level today

Pages : [1] 2

Totoland Mach
10-19-2006, 08:34 PM
After detailing for upteen years for myself, I started a part-time job (mostly weekends) with a BMW reseller. He sells approx. 100 cars per year and has a stunning detail area in a small shop. It's heated/air conditioned, wall and ceiling lighting, portable halogens, air compressor, pro steamer, u-name-it. It's a great working area year 'round and I can average 1-2 late model Bimmers per week.

Well, today, he showed me air sanding with a Snap-On palm sander and 3000 grit pad. Then I moved to a DeWalt rotary and compound. I've never done this process, so it was a good learning experience on a 745 Li (white). It's a lot of work but the results are stunning. I think it will take some practice to get the technique quicker, but it sure is a heck of a method for scratch and swirl removal.

Hat's off to those that use a rotary!

The work area is so nice! Clean with a white epoxy painted floor, lighting, everything I could ask for. Especially compared to my garage detailing!

I introduced him to XMT Carnuba Finishing Glaze and he was stunned at the finish. I'll get some pics this weekend.

Toto

Reddwarf
10-19-2006, 08:39 PM
Sounds like an awesome place to detail and you get to work on nice cars too!

abrcrombe
10-19-2006, 09:04 PM
Sounds like everything is working out for you. Hope it continues to go well!

Kelso
10-19-2006, 09:47 PM
sounds great! what are you going to be doing, like old 2002's and such? i drive a bimmer so that is especially good sounding

Totoland Mach
10-20-2006, 06:55 AM
sounds great! what are you going to be doing, like old 2002's and such? i drive a bimmer so that is especially good sounding

Kelso: Most of the Bimmers are 02-03-04's. The owner buys off-lease vehicles from BMW Leasing.

I started on a white 745 Li yesterday and he showed me how to use a 3000 grit pad on an air sander (almost made this old man's heart stop to see the paint dull!). Then, compound out the 3000 grit finish, then polish, then wax. I showed me Meg's #83 where he was using 3M Finesse It and XMT Glaze and he was impressed.

The biggest difference between mobile or driveway detailing is the shop. It's bright, clean, and comfortable. If the weather turns bad, no problem. Plus, all the equipment is right at hand.

Toto

FloridaNative
10-20-2006, 08:56 AM
Wow!!! That sounds like bliss!! I envy you a set up like that. Enjoy it and PLEASE give us lots of pics so that we can live vicariously through you! :cheers:

XterraOverload
10-20-2006, 09:05 AM
sweet gig!!!!!!!!!!!! Yea we want lots of pics!!!!!!!!!!!

Albsterama
10-20-2006, 10:36 AM
damn that sounds great. i got a white jag so i would not mind learning this or reading about it. there are some areas that could do with a treatment....

yeah...post the pics. i also considered those beemers before i bought my jag 2 weeks ago so would love to see how they come up in the pictures.

:cheers:

wytstang
10-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Pics..............

P1et
10-20-2006, 11:18 AM
How about some pics of this place? Sounds awesome!

FloridaNative
10-20-2006, 01:51 PM
How about some pics of this place? Sounds awesome!

:iagree:

Totoland Mach
10-20-2006, 02:53 PM
Here's some pics. This car is the first one I've ever used 3000 grit on an air sander (believe me, I was more than a little intimidated). It had light scratches and a couple of decent medium ones. The 3000 pad makes short work of removal. Then, I compounded with a DeWalt Rotary at 1200 (again, first time with a rotary...not as difficult as I imagined).

Here's my work area....Let it rain/snow....doesn't matter anymore.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/BMW_White745Li.jpg

This pic shows some light surface scratches on the hood. They were representative of the entire car.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/BMW745_HoodScratches.jpg

Finally, a hood shot after 3000 grit + compounding + Meguiars 83. We will final wax this Sunday with Wolfgang DGS

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/BMW745_Hood_AfterCompound.jpg

I've got a black 745 Li waiting for me after this.

It's a blast having all the lighting and equipment right there.

Totoland Mach

RTexasF
10-20-2006, 03:03 PM
So that's what Mecca looks like! Congratulations on both the spotless workplace and learning new skills......that I wish I had.

FloridaNative
10-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Sweet!! That last shot is amazing! I don't think I've ever seen a reflection like that in white before! :applause: I can't wait to see the black! :)

Totoland Mach
10-20-2006, 03:45 PM
Sweet!! That last shot is amazing! I don't think I've ever seen a reflection like that in white before! :applause: I can't wait to see the black! :)

Florida Native: By this Sunday, I should have it done with a nice coat of Wolfgang....the car should hurt your eyes to look at it in the sun LOL

Toto