PDA

View Full Version : First Detail...What do I need?

mclark12992
03-22-2010, 04:02 PM
So I just purchased my first car, a black 2006 Ford Explorer. It's got some paint issues, mostly swirls and a few light scratches. Also a few deeper scratches, but only 1 or 2 that catch with my fingernail...planning to avoid those spots. Also, considering it has nearly 90,000 highway miles, there are many rock chips on the front bumper and a few on the hood (will post pictures). How should I deal with those areas?

Secondly, I have next to nothing when it comes to supplies (only soap...Meg's gold class shampoo & conditioner). So, obviously, I need a lot. I've been perusing these forums for the last month or so, and have come up with this list.

Polisher: PC 7424XP

Polish: Megs 205/105
Menzerna PO85RD
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant 3.0
Pinnacle paintwork cleansing lotion
Wolfgang Fuzion (heard this pops with dark colors)
(Applied in this order)

Clay: Pinnacle ultra poly clay
Pinnacle clay lubricant

Wheels: Pinnacle Gel Wheel Cleaner
Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Gel

Wash: Have the shampoo
2 bucket wash system
Boar's hair brush(Or any other recommendations, these are $$$)

All of the various MF/brushes/applicators

OCDetails
03-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Rock chips will require touch up paint and either Langka or wet sanding. You can't polish those out. ;) The same holds true for scratches you catch your nail on. Everything else will likely need some pretty aggressive polishing. What sort of pads do you currently have? You'll need an assortment for this job. Black is a beast and Ford paint isn't my favorite to work on.

As for your question though, that is a very complicated answer to provide and will be greatly subjective to the experience and preference of the person giving the answer. I would recommend building your list from the information found in the Detailer's Library (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/#detailer-s-library) and see what you can come up with. The question has been answered in different stages all over this board. Since you don't have any supplies right now, that works to your advantage. Just read the articles, consider the process and products used on the different vehicles, and build your list from there. Good luck!

mclark12992
03-22-2010, 04:27 PM
I'll take a look at body shop to repair the rock chips and deeper scratches. And i'll also take a look through the Detailer's Library

Thanks, OCDetial :props:

Dubbin1
03-22-2010, 04:38 PM
IMO you can forget the 85RD since you will be using the 105/205 combo and there will be no need for the cleansing lotion.

A nice sheepskin was mitt is MUCH cheaper then the boar's hair brush.

mclark12992
03-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Got it. Thanks for the recommendation :xyxthumbs:

ScottB
03-22-2010, 05:11 PM
The kits w/ buffer are great solutions .... add some wash, mitt, and wax or sealant of your choice and your ready to go. There was a Poorboys kit that contained everything but the soap as another option though I like the 5 inch backing plate and 5.5 inch pads and ceramiclear kit personally.

mclark12992
03-24-2010, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the advice killrwheels, i'll take a look at the kits :xyxthumbs:

rwright
03-24-2010, 04:42 PM
85RD should step up the gloss level another notch over 205. Several members on the forum use it after M205... Paintwork cleansing lotion will not be necessary if you are using clay. Welcome to the forum by the way! You will get several responses so be ready!

Dubbin1
03-24-2010, 05:06 PM
You also may want to consider going with the Griot's polisher over the PC.