PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Jaguar XJ8: Whats the recommended leather cleaner/conditioner...

Albsterama
10-19-2006, 05:38 PM
Firstly, GREAT forum guys, lots of extremely usefull info for a n00b car detailer like myself to begin and learn from.

Anyway, my wife and i just purchased a 2004 Jaguar XJ8 with the light beige leather seats. Although the car is pristine, the leather seats look like they could use a good clean. Theres no cracks but some parts of the seat look dirty and creased.

I've been lurkin on this forum and the AG website looking for the best leather cleaner and conditioner possible and I am down to this:

Connolly Cleaner and Hide Food
Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil and Pristine Cleaner

Not sure which ones would be the "better one" so any of your thoughts or if you can recommend other combinations, that would be highly appreciated !

TIA

:awesome:

ScottB
10-19-2006, 06:04 PM
http://www.autogeek.net/leathercare.html

you got the two best products for uncoated leather.

Connolly --- great protection and monthly keepup, thick
Leatherique --- neglected seats, brings back vitality, a little messy

Surfer
10-19-2006, 07:37 PM
Grandparents have an XJR, Connolly leather, so I say use the Connolly stuff. I'd order it ffrom AG but the Jag dealer here carries it. Leatherique will help with cleanup. I wish my leather seats in my truck were like the leather seats in that Jag:(, sooooooooooo comfy and supportive. Makes BMW leather feel like vinyl.

Reddwarf
10-19-2006, 07:46 PM
I use Connolly on my Jag seats. However, I recently purchased some Pinnacle leather spray to try.

You can't go wrong with Connolly, it is in fact what they sell at the Jag dealer labeled as Hide Feed.

supercharged
10-19-2006, 09:15 PM
All Jaguar leather is uncoated?

Albsterama
10-20-2006, 01:26 AM
I just did a water test and it looks like it is coated. It did not absorb but nor did it run also..:scratch:

My reservation with Connolly cleaner is from what I read - that if it accumulates on the stitches, it will weaken it. The hide food, I heard, is brilliant...

Ideally, I would like to use the Leatherique Rejuvenator and the Connolly Hide Food afterward but not sure if this cross product usage will work and be compatible without destroying stuff. At this stage, I'll use one or the other and not mix them.

Reddwarf
10-20-2006, 07:43 PM
I've only used the connolly cleaner once. The directions on the bottle say to dilute it. I don't think it is a product you would use often, just the first time to clean the leather and there after only on rare occassions. At least that is my thought. The hide feed you can use often. I have used it several times over the past year.

I'll send you a PM about it.

Bence
10-20-2006, 10:56 PM
1Z Lederpflege or AutoGlym Leather Care Cream is also excellent.

Albsterama
10-20-2006, 11:54 PM
I've only used the connolly cleaner once. The directions on the bottle say to dilute it. I don't think it is a product you would use often, just the first time to clean the leather and there after only on rare occassions. At least that is my thought. The hide feed you can use often. I have used it several times over the past year.

I'll send you a PM about it.

Thanks very much Reddwarf...read your PM and I'll look further into it as I still have time !

:cheers:

Jdm
10-21-2006, 02:54 PM
Im the MAN Lexol is really nice stuff too

supercharged
10-21-2006, 04:04 PM
I like Pinnacle Leather conditioner. Conolly has that "kerosene" smell

Albsterama
10-21-2006, 11:44 PM
well...i'll soon find out. i just placed a $160 order at the autogeek.com for the connolly cleaner/hide food and also some other exterior cleaners & glaze, cobra towels & pads, schmitt and DP wheel glaze. Looking forward to thoroughly cleaning my Jag. Ugh...I just found something that looks like dried out Kellogs rice crispies on the side of the passenger front seat...oh nice, not.

This was suppose to be a Jaguar Select Edition but I guess their 150+ point checks do not include a visual of the passenger front seat sides.

:lol:

supercharged
10-22-2006, 11:18 AM
well...i'll soon find out. i just placed a $160 order at the autogeek.com for the connolly cleaner/hide food and also some other exterior cleaners & glaze, cobra towels & pads, schmitt and DP wheel glaze. Looking forward to thoroughly cleaning my Jag. Ugh...I just found something that looks like dried out Kellogs rice crispies on the side of the passenger front seat...oh nice, not.

This was suppose to be a Jaguar Select Edition but I guess their 150+ point checks do not include a visual of the passenger front seat sides.

:lol:
Have you asked if their techincians are experienced, or just "certified"?

Albsterama
10-22-2006, 11:55 PM
Have you asked if their techincians are experienced, or just "certified"?
Good question, the answer is probably both - reason being is that it is the only dealership in this side of the Los Angeles valley and they have been a Jaguar dealer for a very long time, as well, my wife use to own a classic car dealership so she knows all the ins-n-outs of Jaguars and she says this dealer has a long reputable history and their techo is top notch. So I don't think they will stay in business this long if their technician is just a "certified" with no experience. The work shop is top notch, spotlessly clean as well...

However, having said that, its an easy oversight. We didn't look in between either in our final inspection and given it is pre-own there are some stuff that is not 100%. Its no big deal but we'll write a letter to them to improve their inspection.

Bottomline, the deal we got on this car and the very, very low mileage for an 04 made this deal a no brainer, even if the prior owner (who was a woman since she inevitaly left her lipstick mark on the drop down sun visor) had her kid eat breakfast in the front passenger seat...:rolleyes: