PDA

View Full Version : OCW & ONRv2 Review

DejaVu
03-20-2010, 10:05 AM
This morning I woke up early excited to try out the Optimum Car Wax and Optimum No Rinse new version that I bought last month. I use 1 bucket with 1 ounce of ONR and 2 gallons of water, my wash media is the Carrand Microfiber MAX Total Clean All Over wash mitt, my drying towel is Carrand Microfiber MAX Supreme Drying Towel.

Right away I noticed the new smell of the ONR, it's very strong in concentrated form but when you add it to the water it mellows out to a pleasant odor which has been said to be Mullberry I believe. The water and ONR together didn't feel different as I used it. I honestly couldn't tell if the new version of ONR cleans any better since my car wasn't very dirty, but the one thing I wanted to really let everyone know is that after I dried my car it was as shiny as just having used Meguiars UQD!!!. The old version of ONR did not leave my car as shiny as this new version. It really did amaze me, and as the sun came up it made the paint on my car leave shimmer marks on the parking lot the way new chrome rims do. One other thing, after drying my car and using the old ONR the paint seemed much less slick as the MF almost would stick to the paint as I dried it off, not so with the new ONR.

So I love the new ONR, and it was shiny enough for me to just stop there and finish detailing but I had the OCW to try for the first time. I guess I should also add that my car hasn't been waxed since last september and the current single coat of Collinite 476s has only been washed once before today. In the past I would use Meguiars UQD or UQW so that's what I have to compare to in the spray on wax/QD department. I wasn't sure if I understood just how easy OCW was to use, but it really was simple. I used 2 Meguiars Supreme Shine microfiber towels to apply and buff the OCW. Application was as easy as spray on, wipe into the paint until you can't see any more product, then flip over to dry side of MF to buff off. I had to use no pressure to do the buffing off, and application was quick since my paint seemed hungry for this OCW. The results really amazed me. The paint on my GTI is called United Gray Metallic it has tons of flakes and is a dark gray, the OCW deepened and darkened the paint with a very reflective shine at the same time. I have never buffed out the scratches on my car, and the OCW did hide them very well. I can't believe that the watery liquid inside the bottle of OCW can make a cars paint look as good as it did. So for me, OCW will be my new LSP and I'll probably be using it if not after every wash each week, at least once per month.

A4 1.8tqm
03-20-2010, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the review! I've been anxious to try ONR v2 and now OCW as well.

AeroCleanse
03-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the write up, but I don't think its v2, there have been at least 2 versions before this new one. At least thats what I get from reading forums. There was one that wasn't blue, one that was (the last version) and this new version.

Sludge
03-20-2010, 02:16 PM
The old ONR had an unstable blue dye. Over time it would turn a pretty ugly brown, but it still worked fine. They then came out with a new stable blue dye, but there really was no formula change, so there was only one version.

Rsurfer
03-20-2010, 04:26 PM
The old ONR had an unstable blue dye. Over time it would turn a pretty ugly brown, but it still worked fine. They then came out with a new stable blue dye, but there really was no formula change, so there was only one version.How do you know there was no formula change with the exception of the dye? I don't believe Optimum would say it's a new formula just because of the darker color.

DejaVu
03-21-2010, 09:41 AM
oh I forgot about the first ONR that turned brown over time, I now remember reading some posts about that awhile ago.

It's been 24 hours or so since I applied the OCW, and the slickness on my paint is unreal. I was cleaning my windows with some Stoners glass cleaner and I tried to put the paper towels on the hood of my car like I usually do. The paper towels would not stay on the hood, they just slid down and it looked like they were hovering over the paint. OCW is the slickest product I've used yet. I think if I clayed my car, used some polish and a coat of OCW it'd be slicker somehow. I do have a bunch of samples of Poorboys EX-P, PWS, Black Hole, and Natty's Blue that I need to use but I usually only do that process in my grandparents large shaded driveway not in my Apt parking lot.

sal329
03-21-2010, 05:39 PM
I want to get the new ONR but still have half gallon of the previous one left. OCW is a great product I need to buy a gallon. Thanks for the reviews

Old Tiger
03-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Well I will have to use my old ONR more liberally. I plan to add it to my rinse bucket. I added 3 oz to a qt bottle of DW. I clean the running boards of our 07 Expedition. It leaves them looking like new without being slippery like 303 AS or other products Ive tried on them! Hard to believe Dr. G. made this great stuff even better.