PDA

View Full Version : Scratches from new car dealership 'detailer'

Pages : [1] 2

Gadgetech
03-19-2010, 11:33 PM
So I picked up my new car tonight, a Nissan Maxima in Crimson Black. Once I got it home under the flourescent lights in my garage, I was horrified to notice what I would consider pretty severe scratches in the paint. These are beyond swirl marks. I ran over one of the areas with Scratch X (only thing I have on hand readily) by hand and it really didn't do a whole lot to improve the situation. I'm not really sure what to do here since I'm pretty sure returning the car is not an option. I suppose I could make the dealership fix it, but I'm sure they would want to use one of their guys to do it. How can you tell when it's too severe to handle with a PC and let a pro do it?

I would say the scratches aren't all the way through the clear coat (fot the most part) but they are pretty deep looking.

C. Charles Hahn
03-19-2010, 11:41 PM
I'm guessing what you've got are buffer trails? Without pics it's hard to say but I'm betting you could handle it with a PC and either M105 or M205 depending on how severe they are and what pad you choose to work with.

If they truly did burn through the paint in any spots though the only option is a re-paint.... hopefully that's not what you're dealing with though.

Fly bye
03-19-2010, 11:43 PM
I would bring it to the dealers attention, and demand that they pay to have a proffesional fix this. I would advise to not let the dealership touch the vehicle.

If they refuse to pay, be very firm. You may have to threaten legal action in small claims court, but it may not escalate to that point.

Good luck.

Gadgetech
03-20-2010, 12:10 AM
Here's a couple shots. They were both taken in the same area on the hood. The whole care is not quite this bad but there are some definite lines and such down the side where they obviously used a brush. It seems some more aggressive hand polishing with the Maguires Scratch X has reduced them some so maybe a mildly aggressive compound with a white pad (or orange if that doesn't do it) will solve the problem. I'm pretty sure these aren't quite as noticeable in sunlight as flourescents bring out the worst in paint defects.

A4 1.8tqm
03-20-2010, 02:06 AM
Definitely bring it to the dealers attention, if nothing else just so they know whats going out their doors. I bet you could get those marks corrected yourself. Can you catch any of them with your fingernail? If so, that's the point where you need to consider a pro. :cheers:

Gadgetech
03-20-2010, 06:51 AM
Definitely bring it to the dealers attention, if nothing else just so they know whats going out their doors. I bet you could get those marks corrected yourself. Can you catch any of them with your fingernail? If so, that's the point where you need to consider a pro. :cheers:

I like the way you think. It's unfortunate, but a lot o people don't care or notice what happens to auto paint. With poor washin techniques. I will notify the dealer and depending on my results will determine whether or not we discuss professional route. I did the fingernail test and there are only a couple places that I can *barely, barely* feel it. It does piss me off severely, but it seems as though it isn't as dire as my original thought.

BTW, I quit cold turkey on September 11, 2006 around 11pm that night and have never looked back. You can do it!

Mike Phillips
03-20-2010, 07:34 AM
Once I got it home under the fluorescent lights in my garage, I was horrified to notice what I would consider pretty severe scratches in the paint. These are beyond swirl marks. I ran over one of the areas with Scratch X (only thing I have on hand readily) by hand and it really didn't do a whole lot to improve the situation.

This is called a "Horror Story", it's the norm for what happens when you take a car to a dealership, most body shops and sad to say, even some detail shops, (detail shops don't put scratches like you're pictures show into the paint but buffers swirls from a rotary buffer.

I'm not really sure what to do here since I'm pretty sure returning the car is not an option. I suppose I could make the dealership fix it, but I'm sure they would want to use one of their guys to do it.

Take it back and show it to them but don't let them work on it. If they can't fix it right the first time they won't be able to do it right the next time.

I would print out this thread ans show the owner you're taking advice on how to fix it from from the members and Pro Detailers on AutogeekOnline and he's welcome to have his people come here to get some education so this doesn't happen to his customer's again.

One thing for sure, "Online Detailers", that is detailers that hang out on discussion forums like AGO know a heck of a lot more than detailers that are NOT online learning from forums like this.

How can you tell when it's too severe to handle with a PC and let a pro do it?

Those scratches don't look that bad from the pictures, if you have a PC order up some Surbuf MicroFinger pads and some M105 or Ultimate Compound and knock them out yourself.

Then polish the paint with a foam polishing or finishing pad and you'll have a true show car finish and it's easy to do, so easy anyone can do it now days.

Check out this thread...

Surbuf MicroFinger Buffing Pads now at Autogeek! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/23927-surbuf-microfinger-buffing-pads-now-autogeek.html)

Surbuf MicroFinger Buffing Pads
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/837/SandingMarkRemovalWSurbuf000.jpg

Gadgetech
03-20-2010, 07:51 AM
Thanks Mike! I'm much better today after. 'few' hours of sleep. When my wife woke up and saw I wasn't in bed she thought to herself, is he out washing that car already? I meant to call the dealer yesterday and tell them to not clean it for delivery. I've had other vehicles cleaned there when in a pinch and it has been nowhere near this level. Lesson learned.

MI Mike
03-20-2010, 08:20 AM
I can feel your pain. Been there also. When are the auto dealers (both new and used) going to realize that if they want to keep (repeat) customers, they need to change their business practices. The dealer I had my problem with has lost me as a customer. If they care, you will be back. If they don't you will end up telling others. Maybe whats needed is a dealers hall of shame, nationwide.

:buffing:

SATMAN40
03-20-2010, 08:25 AM
We can find fault with anything, if we look hard enough.

My first house, the bricks were laid with a level, and not a line,. The bricks went up and down,I was mad and yet over 50 year later the home is still standing.

Sometimes we have to wonder how much the guy got for washing the car, and sometimes we find bad work even out of a detail shop or someone doing it on the side.

If a bad spot bother you fix it, don't worry about it, in life it is not worth the worry, and truth is nothing is perfect...

Call the dealer, tell him how much you love the car, show him the before and after, he might send some business your way..and forget it...

I do know how you feel, but you will live long, fell better if you bend with the wind, and grin....

Garry Dean
03-20-2010, 08:32 AM
I agree with Mike. Those defects do not look "that bad." Do an inspection of the entire car before you bring it to the dealerships attention as it may need more correction than you can see on just the top sections of the car. Good luck on getting this resolved by the dealership, but if that does no good we are always here to help!

louie
03-22-2010, 11:58 AM
I took my 2-week old black Cadillac CTS to have the balance and alignment checked and they did the courtesy wash for me without asking. I picked the car up in the late afternoon and as they brought my car around from the back my heart sank. Every square inch of the car was trashed. I immediately got the service advisor who claimed it couldn't have been them as they only use soft bristle brushes. He stopped talking as soon as he saw the car. We went over to the "detail" area - the soft bristle brush was close to push broom in bristle stiffness. The pictures don't show the individual scratches in the direction of motion of the washing action. I was able to clean it up using Meg's #83 / #80 - no way would I let them touch it. They also scratched a wheel doing the alignment and the next day I noticed one of the lug nuts missing. Obviously I have not gone back to the dealer.

Mike Phillips
03-22-2010, 12:51 PM
And again... another Horror Story...

I took my 2-week old black Cadillac CTS to have the balance and alignment checked and they did the courtesy wash for me without asking. I picked the car up in the late afternoon and as they brought my car around from the back my heart sank. Every square inch of the car was trashed.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck but I'm not surprised by your story...

The pictures you attached hurt my eyes...

How-to work with pictures on discussion forums (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles-discussion-forums/21320-how-work-pictures-discussion-forums.html)

:)

Shane731
03-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Sounds all too familiar. Working in a "detail department" at a dealership, I know all about this. What's even more sad is when you have somebody like me who actually knows what he's doing and cares as a result of forums like MOL and AGO, but to put it into practice at a dealership is discouraged. With dealerships, time is money, so the emphasis is not on quality, but on how fast you can get that car done and off to the customer. Since most people don't know anything about proper products or procedures anyway, including the dealership, they figure it doesn't matter. Which sucks to me, because I feel like I'm doing a double standard. My co-workers don't really care about doing a good job either. On the other hand, you're going to have people who want that free wash when buying a car or having it serviced, and somebody's gotta give it to them. If it wasn't me, it'd be somebody else, somebody who's less concerned about end results than I am. Also take into consideration that most dealers are generally cheap when it comes to buying products (I have more money in products and tools at home than we have at the dealership, and I'm just doing personal cars, not production work), and most of their detail guys are getting paid diddly, then all that just adds up to disaster. No way around it.

SATMAN40
03-22-2010, 07:34 PM
Our local MB dealer charge $250 to detail a car, our first detail was free, after that $89.00 to clean the interior, and $250 for the whole vehicle.

They also loan you a new one,