PDA

View Full Version : Pneumatic DA

A4 1.8tqm
03-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Hey, my buddy got a Pneumatic DA palm sander for his birthday this month, Edit: pretty sure it's a Viking VT4200. I've read that they are very CFM hungry devices, he has a couple portable Air Compressors, a Sears 12 gallon, one that is a little bigger than that one and a little PC pancake compressor. We each have the hood and a panel or two amongst ours/family's cars that need sanding, at our convenience.

Can we just work in small sections like when machine polishing, and let the compressor recover between sections? Or are these little portable air compressors just not able to power the sander?

TIA, I just don't want to start sanding if using a small compressor is completely out of the question.

Mike Phillips
03-19-2010, 04:26 PM
a Sears 12 gallon, one that is a little bigger than that one and a little PC pancake compressor.

You can try this one, the worst thing that will happen is the sander will slow down....

Be careful you don't gouge the paint if it does...

A constant air feed maintains uniform operating speed and that helps --> you <-- to control the movement and sanding action.

:)

feslope
03-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Very cool tool. That tool is going to need 5cfm of air at 90lbs + pressure. Try it with your biggest compressor. Let us know how it works out for you.

A4 1.8tqm
03-19-2010, 08:33 PM
Cool, thanks guy's. I'll let you know how it works and hopefully be posting some great results as we get each problem area done. :xyxthumbs:

detailjohn
03-19-2010, 09:49 PM
A D.A. air sander is a great tool that I use often in my shop, but it doesn't yield the same quality results as a block if you're trying to remove clearcoat. I use my da to nib dirts out of paint or for trizact 3000 polish. Best of luck. I just noticed you're also in Edmonds, if you want some pointers you can stop by my shop anytime.

John

Lasthope05
03-19-2010, 10:49 PM
Pneumatic DA sanders need a lot of air. I use them along with pneumatic long boards and with a 125gal 5hp compressor has a hard time keeping up with it. I dont think you'll get more than a minute of continuous use on the compressors you have.

C. Charles Hahn
03-19-2010, 11:44 PM
Depending on how he has his air system plumbed, you could always tie more than one of the compressors together to help the tool maintain constant and consistent running speeds.

Just be sure you've got a water trap between the compressors and the DA!

A4 1.8tqm
03-20-2010, 12:03 AM
I just noticed you're also in Edmonds, if you want some pointers you can stop by my shop anytime.

John

Edit: First post! :welcome:

Yeah I would like to stop by some time, PM me your info?

I don't think you'll get more than a minute of continuous use on the compressors you have.

Kind of figured that would be the case, hopefully it will be enough to do a small section. We'll see:xyxthumbs:

Depending on how he has his air system plumbed, you could always tie more than one of the compressors together to help the tool maintain constant and consistent running speeds.

Just be sure you've got a water trap between the compressors and the DA!

I'd like to know more about using multiple compressors, wheres a good place to read up on the subject?

C. Charles Hahn
03-20-2010, 04:57 PM
I'd like to know more about using multiple compressors, wheres a good place to read up on the subject?

There's not really a whole lot to know other than hooking more than one compressor up to your plumbing system; here's a site that talks about plumbing air lines though:

Plumbing compressed air properly. (http://www.about-air-compressors.com/plumbing.html)

A4 1.8tqm
03-31-2010, 06:53 AM
I got around to trying the palm sander, I did have to stop frequently to let the compressor recover but that just gave me lots of chances to stop and check my work. I'll have to try connecting two compessors next sanding session, so I just need a Tee fitting like this (http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/47/474f647a-9f58-4bfb-99cd-376176aec31a_300.jpg) or is there a pressure regulator with two inlet's and one outlet to put between the compressors and the tool? TIA