PDA

View Full Version : ONR question, yes yes i know an other 1 :(

Pages : [1] 2

TheGrass
03-19-2010, 11:11 AM
hi every one,

i tried ONR for the first time over the last weekend. i was wondering how the water should feel like??
i poored 1OZ of ONR in 2 gallons of water like it say on the bottle to do. the water did not feel any different then before the ONR. i was expecting the water to be maby "soapy" or " lubricated", is this normal?

after washing my truck i was a bit nervous as maby i did something wrong so i did not dry it. I thought i would let it drie, inspect and wash again after. the truck was fairly clean and the ORN wash whent very fast compare to a 2 bucket method.

so the other thing i noticed is how there was no water spotting when the truck dried in the sun. i have well water and my water is very hard. did the ONR cleaned my water???

so im wondering since i have hard well water, should i add more then 1oz of ONR ?

Feed back please

Mike Phillips
03-19-2010, 11:33 AM
hi every one,

i tried ONR for the first time over the last weekend. i was wondering how the water should feel like??

i poored 1OZ of ONR in 2 gallons of water like it say on the bottle to do. the water did not feel any different then before the ONR. i was expecting the water to be maby "soapy" or " lubricated", is this normal?

It won't be soapy or a better word is sudsy but it should feel a little slipperier, could be your well water and if you think it's hard use a little more.

after washing my truck i was a bit nervous as maby i did something wrong so i did not dry it. I thought i would let it drie, inspect and wash again after. the truck was fairly clean and the ORN wash whent very fast compare to a 2 bucket method.

so the other thing i noticed is how there was no water spotting when the truck dried in the sun. i have well water and my water is very hard. did the ONR cleaned my water???

Washing with a rinseless was and not drying sound like a recipe for leaving a splotchy looking mess on the paint, could just be because it was clean to start with but normally you want to dry or blot the cleaning solution off the paint.

:)

AeroCleanse
03-19-2010, 11:40 AM
I have used ONR for a long time, never noticed any different feel, but maybe I'm not sensitive enough.

I would wash and dry it again, then you should be fine.

TheGrass
03-19-2010, 11:52 AM
hi,

ok thanks for the quick answers. :dblthumb2: the wifes car is very dirty wirh road salt, so i wanted to make sure the onr solution was right before i wash it.

my truck and her car is black, its such a huge upkeep to keep them clean. i dont mind it in the summer but winter has always been very hard. ONR so far i think will work great.

CTS-Veo
03-19-2010, 01:38 PM
I can't remember if the label says anything about it, but I've heard it said on here a few times; that ONR can be used as a water softener.

As far as the "feel" goes, it's not going to feel soapy. Actualy I think ONR is anti-soapy. Next time you're doing a traditional 2bm wash drop a couple oz of ONR with the soap, and agitate with the hose. ONR will cut the suds in atleast half. It's not a bad thing, that's just a side effect of using the product. Instead of soapy, I would describe it as SLIGHTLY slimy feeling.

Then again I've never really been a big fallower of the "less is more" theory, so I always use a little more than is suggested.

Mike Phillips
03-19-2010, 01:50 PM
I have used ONR for a long time, never noticed any different feel, but maybe I'm not sensitive enough.

After you posted this I had to go double check to make sure what I remembered was accurate, thank you. :xyxthumbs:

I tested both ONR, (Old version because that's what I have open), and Detailer's Pride Wash & Gloss and created an article based upon the results here,

Should ONR feel slippery or be sudsy when used as a Rinseless Wash? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/24243-should-onr-feel-slippery-sudsy-when-used-rinseless-wash.html)

I've seen similar questions about how the product should feel, (after it's diluted), and about suds and I think most people would naturally think that a product like ONR would or should feel slippery because you're using it to wash your car's paint without any extra water besides the ONR cleaning solution.

In a nutshell, I couldn't tell that the addition of one ounce of ONR to 2 gallons of water made the water feel any different.

I found that the addition of DP Rinseless Wash & Gloss did make the water feel a little more slippery or slimy.

Suds were created wit both when blasted with a strong spray of water but the suds for both quickly dissipated.

Click the link and read the entire thread to see all the pictures, a small tip and a list of further resources...

Should ONR feel slippery or be sudsy when used as a Rinseless Wash? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/24243-should-onr-feel-slippery-sudsy-when-used-rinseless-wash.html)

If you blast the 1 ounce of ONR with a strong spray of water some suds will be created...
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/844/RinselessWashSuds003.jpg

After seconds, maybe a few short minutes the suds will pop and go away...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/844/RinselessWashSuds004.jpg

AeroCleanse
03-19-2010, 02:13 PM
Mike, have you tried the newest version of ONR? Wondering if things have changed with the improvements.

Mike Phillips
03-19-2010, 02:24 PM
To compare and contrast, if you want to feel some slimy water, then mix 1 scoop of Detailer's Pride Polishing Pad Rejuvenator (http://www.autogeek.net/dp730.html) to a bucket of water and mix this up and you'll have a good benchmark of what slimy water feel like. (It does work great for cleaning pads though)

Mike Phillips
03-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Mike, have you tried the newest version of ONR? Wondering if things have changed with the improvements.

We have about a half gallon of the previous version to go through first, I try to spend Autogeek money like it's my own so while I actually walked over to the isle with the NEW ONR (http://www.autogeek.net/opnoriwash12.html) and looked at the new stuff I thought it best to just use the container that's already open.

I did feel straight ONR with my fingers and it's not slippery to the feel, at least no more than water feels slippery, the DP Wash & Gloss (http://www.autogeek.net/dp-rinseless-four-in-one.html) does have some slipperiness feel to it straight of the bottle.

Don't try this at home kids, always wear protective gloves and safety glasses when working with auto appearance chemicals.

:D

TheGrass
03-19-2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks alot mike for the write up. :) now i feel better washing my 2 black vehicles with ONR. i just felt like i was washing my car with normal water and was worried. Im the MAN

Bunky
03-19-2010, 05:21 PM
We have about a half gallon of the previous version to go through first, I try to spend Autogeek money like it's my own so while I actually walked over to the isle with the NEW ONR (http://www.autogeek.net/opnoriwash12.html) and looked at the new stuff I thought it best to just use the container that's already open.

I did feel straight ONR with my fingers and it's not slippery to the feel, at least no more than water feels slippery, the DP Wash & Gloss (http://www.autogeek.net/dp-rinseless-four-in-one.html) does have some slipperiness feel to it straight of the bottle.

Don't try this at home kids, always wear protective gloves and safety glasses when working with auto appearance chemicals.

:D

I never felt rinseless washes (ONR or DP) felt significantly slippery compared to traditonal soaps. Since I believe rinseless washes work, I can only conclude that slippery feeling may be less relevant.

The net is when someone comments they like the lubricity of a soap the comparison may not translate to actual ability to create swirls, etc.

I would appreciate a counter argument.

Mike Phillips
03-19-2010, 05:39 PM
I would appreciate a counter argument.

You certaninly won't get an arguement out of me on this topic or any topic except the topic of breaking forum rules and then there won't be any arguing, just enforcement of the forum rules.

This is the wrong place for arguing, there's other forums out there to have fun arguing on... just not this one...

:laughing:

akimel
03-19-2010, 07:47 PM
Because of the hardness of the local county water, I use 1 oz of ONR per gallon. I'm not sure if I can actually feel a difference in the water. I'll try to pay attention next time and report back.

Jossy92
03-19-2010, 08:00 PM
After I have used ONR, I noticed that I felt like I had a super case of "dish pan Hands". The palms and finger tips felt sodden.

Based on what I had read about ONR I guessed* that the dead cells or callus on the outer layer of the skin on the hands had been encapsulated just like ONR encapsulates grit.

* = :dunno:

I don't know if suds, slipperiness or soddeness is a benchmark for when enough ONR has been added to the bucket/effectiveness. But this sure is a great thread for this ONR newb.

TheGrass
03-20-2010, 07:45 AM
hi
i really appreciate all the feed back.

i did an other ONR wash on my truck last night. i added 2 oz of ONR to 2 gallons of water to see what the difference would be. the water still did not feel any different then normal water with nothing into it to the touch. only difference the water had alot more blue tint to it and it smelled alot more. so i felt like i was only wasting product. the washing process also did not feel any different. meaning the way the wash media glided on the paint.

thanks again for all the feed back, and thanks mike for the write up. now i feel more confident im not messing up something. :)