PDA

View Full Version : Collinite 845 on windows?

Pages : [1] 2

Herzog
03-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Has anyone tried using Collinite 845 as a rain repellent on the windows? I have been using Stoner glass cleaner with rain repellent and I love the way it works, but it doesn't last very long.

I'm thinking that with the durability of 845 on paint, if it works on windows it would last a lot longer than Stoner.

Racin10s
03-19-2010, 09:45 AM
I don't see why not. I have not personally tried it. I usually use Klasse AIO for my windows and then follow that with Aquawax. I also use PB Spray and Wipe to keep it clean on a weekly basis. Remember, if you use stoners to clean the window, it will also remove the wax/sealant.

Emile
03-19-2010, 10:23 AM
I don't think that 845 is meant to be used on the glass, but a user who posts here, Misha, he uses 845 regularly on his glass and he says that he loves it.

As posted above, once you apply a coat or two of 845 on the glass, you cannot clean the glass with Stoner or it will strip the wax in a heartbeat.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-19-2010, 10:38 AM
Stoners invisible glass does not contain ammonia, so I'm not sure why it would strip the wax off the windows?

Matt S.
03-19-2010, 10:44 AM
845 works great on windows.

Finemess
03-19-2010, 12:06 PM
I just gave it a try. Nice so far.

Racin10s
03-19-2010, 02:04 PM
I just gave it a try. Nice so far.

Let us know how long it lasts. :props:

Herzog
03-19-2010, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try it out this weekend too and see how well it works. Rainy season is right around the corner for us Floridians, so it will surely get a workout.

845 works great on my wheels. I've been using it like that for some time now. Maybe this will be another great usage of the Collinite. Heck I might as well use it on the engine bay and tires too - make it a clean sweep!

christian900se
03-19-2010, 08:53 PM
I have been using it on my windows after my Rain-X got thrown away and it performs very very well on all the windows. Durability doesn't seem to be affected by wiper blades either on the front window. It tends to last 4-6 months on windows depending on the conditions the car is exposed to. You will smile when it first rains because the water flies off the glass so quickly!

CEE DOG
03-19-2010, 09:35 PM
I have been using it on my windows after my Rain-X got thrown away and it performs very very well on all the windows. Durability doesn't seem to be affected by wiper blades either on the front window. It tends to last 4-6 months on windows depending on the conditions the car is exposed to. You will smile when it first rains because the water flies off the glass so quickly!

Thanks everybody,
Any tips on application on glass or is it still follow the directions on the bottle?

christian900se
03-20-2010, 12:06 AM
Thanks everybody,
Any tips on application on glass or is it still follow the directions on the bottle?

Just make sure to use it extra sparingly and let it cure for 30 minutes or so if you are able to. Other than that, it should go on and off very easily and produce great results.

Lasthope05
03-20-2010, 02:07 AM
Stoners invisible glass does not contain ammonia, so I'm not sure why it would strip the wax off the windows?

A glass cleaner does not need ammonia to remove LSP. The alcohol it in and the type of cleaners used in the glass cleaner can and will strip LSP's.

I dont like to apply waxes to my windshield because you can sometimes get chatter from the wipers. I find that a fully clean and clayed glass will bead water just find. Also whenever I wash my car I just put a coat of AW on as I'm doing the car to give it a little something.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-20-2010, 03:46 AM
A glass cleaner does not need ammonia to remove LSP. The alcohol it in and the type of cleaners used in the glass cleaner can and will strip LSP's.

Gotcha!

FYI, there's a certain brand class cleaner that just came out with a new glass sealant. The glass cleaner claims no ammonia or alcohol. I would hope their glass cleaner would not strip their glass sealant. This combo looks interesting to me.

A4 1.8tqm
03-20-2010, 03:59 AM
I've waxed my windows lots of times, mostly with Max Wax. No problems for the most part, I quit doing the windshield because my wipers got really streaky and... smeary? lol I suspect wax was the culprit. Now I have Bosch Icons and love them!

BobbyG
03-20-2010, 05:49 AM
Thanks everybody,

Apply it thin, almost transparent, let dry and buff off. I've been waxing my glass longer than I'd care to admit. :xyxthumbs: